Premed 101 Forums

-

To med students/residents.... its getting really close to decision day for most schools...just curious where were you went you found out you got in? Home

What were you doing? Waking up (I mean they usually let you know in the morning so your day just began) 

What was your reaction? I cried tears of joy for about 30 min. 

Who did you tell first? Family, then some other friends whom were also in similar circumstances. 

- G

To med students/residents.... its getting really close to decision day for most schools...just curious where were you went you found out you got in? What were you doing? What was your reaction? Who did you tell first? etc

I was eating breakfast, checked my laptop and yay

I was accepted off of a waitlist, so my "acceptance day" was a little later; however, I was walking through one of the parks around campus because I decided to skip my last class of the day. First people I told were a close friend of mine and my brother. I actually wasn't as excited as I thought I would be because I was pretty exhausted from stressing over getting off the waitlist for the last month. It eventually set in, and then I called my parents and let them know!

I was just accepted a few days ago so its fresh! I was like 20 feet from my apartment when I received an email with a the pdf attachement so I had a mini panic attack, ran in the door, into my apartment and on my bed with my laptop. I checked, and literally jumped up! I called my mom immediately but nobody answered lol continued to tell friends and family, very exciting time!

wait so if the email has an attachment, that means you got in? I don't see what they would have to attach if you didnt get in or got waitlisted??

I was rejected last year, you get an attachment with either 1) acceptance (yay) 2) rejection or 3) waitlist. Mun attaches a pdf for all options. 

wait so they call waitlisted applicants to let them know? you aren't passed over for not picking up are you?

Yes at my school they do (they will also email if they can't reach you telling you how to get in touch). They will definitely not pass over you, no need to worry! 

It was May 12, 2011. I remember it just like yesterday. I was living with my parents and my mom woke me up in my room around 10:30am with the opened letter in her hand. She was smiling but wanted me to read it in case she misread. I read the words, "Dear Mithril: I am very pleased to offer you a position in the 2011 entering class of the MD Undergraduate Program at The University of British Columbia," smiled, then went back to bed. I still have the letter in my drawer.

What would the pdf contain for rejected people even?

Basically this

" Dear x,

Thank you for applying. Your application has been considered but we regret to inform you that we could not offer you a place. There is a great deal of competition, blah blah" 

That is it. For the wait-list letter, no idea. 

It was August. I was home. 3 medical schools had waitlisted me and for months, the wait was grueling. I had made no plans for the year if I was not accepted. Finally, I got the acceptance email. As it was a francophone school, the email was in French. I couldn't believe what I was reading! So, I immediately phoned the medical school to confirm that my reading of it was correct. And the secretary with whom I spoke confirmed to me that indeed, I was accepted. It was all the sweeter b/c this was my first choice. I then proceeded to cry - tears of joy - for at least an hour! Then, after composing myself, I called family members to share the wonderful news. And immediately thereafter, as I was moving to another city, I had only a little time to find a car, buy it, find an apartment, shop for blinds, furniture, fix it up, settle in and start school.

Acceptance into my surgical residency was not nearly as dramatic lol. However, once again I was overjoyed. I had a car but as I was moving cities, I had to find an apartment, furnish it, settle in and start residency.

Where were you went you found out you got in?

In my apartment!

What were you doing?

It was around 11am. I had that day off class so I slept in, had a nice warm shower, made myself nice breakfast (avocado toast with eggs and sriracha), made myself a nice cup of coffee, and really took my time getting ready to go out to a café and get work done. I just finished getting dressed and doing my hair and was walking back to my work space to pack up and head out. I saw a notification on my Mail App on my MacBook so I thought I'd quickly reply to it before I leave or delete the mail if it was spam/advertisment (I like to be on top of e-mails). I realized when I opened my inbox it said, "Offer of Admiss..." and it was sent from the admissions officer who also sent me my interview invitation.

What was your reaction?

I was caught off guard because it was 2 weeks earlier than they originally said it was going to be. I first read the entirety of the e-mail and the attached formal acceptance letter. I was surprisingly calm. I thought I'd be jumping up and down or fall on the ground crying like you see tennis players do when they win a grand slam. But nope, I just kind of sat there... Then it dawned on me that I needed to tell someone before a sniper takes me out from another building and I die before telling anyone that I got in.

Who did you tell first? etc

I wanted to tell my sister first because, if I was Frodo and getting into medical school was LOTR, she's been both my Samwise Gamgee and Gandalf. She helped with all my applications, she consoled me when I didn't get in last year, and was there helping me out every step of the way. But like I said, I "wanted" to tell my sister, but I couldn't get in contact with her because she was then out with her fiancé.

So I called the next person I knew I'd tell: me mum. I texted my mum, who was at work, and told her that I got into medical school and she didn't believe me. She then called me and asked if I was kidding, and asked me to re-read the e-mail carefully. I was still on the phone with her, reread the e-mail and told her that I got in and she was still in disbelief. She said that she had to go, but asked me to send her a screen shot of the e-mail, so she can read it her self. I sent her the screen shot, and waited. She texted me back saying, "You know I read the e-mail, and I was still in disbelief. So I took a break from work, went outside and did some stretches, took deep breathes before reading the e-mail again." Then she texted me 5 minutes later saying, "I don't know why, but I just can't stop crying." She texted me the rest of the day saying that she's waiting for my dad to get back from work (they share one cellphone together)

After talking to my mom, I tried calling my sister's fiancé and he picked up. I asked if my sister was nearby and asked him to put me on speaker phone. I told her that I got in to medical school and she was like "Wait what? Are you sure? I thought they said in 2 weeks?! OMG OMG OMG". She cried over the phone haha.

And that's my fairytale story!

Where were you went you found out you got in?

In my apartment!

What were you doing?

It was around 11am. I had that day off class so I slept in, had a nice warm shower, made myself nice breakfast (avocado toast with eggs and sriracha), made myself a nice cup of coffee, and really took my time getting ready to go out to a café and get work done. I just finished getting dressed and doing my hair and was walking back to my work space to pack up and head out. I saw a notification on my Mail App on my MacBook so I thought I'd quickly reply to it before I leave or delete the mail if it was spam/advertisment (I like to be on top of e-mails). I realized when I opened my inbox it said, "Offer of Admiss..." and it was sent from the admissions officer who also sent me my interview invitation.

What was your reaction?

I was caught off guard because it was 2 weeks earlier than they originally said it was going to be. I first read the entirety of the e-mail and the attached formal acceptance letter. I was surprisingly calm. I thought I'd be jumping up and down or fall on the ground crying like you see tennis players do when they win a grand slam. But nope, I just kind of sat there... Then it dawned on me that I needed to tell someone before a sniper takes me out from another building and I die before telling anyone that I got in.

Who did you tell first? etc

I wanted to tell my sister first because, if I was Frodo and getting into medical school was LOTR, she's been both my Samwise Gamgee and Gandalf. She helped with all my applications, she consoled me when I didn't get in last year, and was there helping me out every step of the way. But like I said, I "wanted" to tell my sister, but I couldn't get in contact with her because she was then out with her fiancé.

So I called the next person I knew I'd tell: me mum. I texted my mum, who was at work, and told her that I got into medical school and she didn't believe me. She then called me and asked if I was kidding, and asked me to re-read the e-mail carefully. I was still on the phone with her, reread the e-mail and told her that I got in and she was still in disbelief. She said that she had to go, but asked me to send her a screen shot of the e-mail, so she can read it her self. I sent her the screen shot, and waited. She texted me back saying, "You know I read the e-mail, and I was still in disbelief. So I took a break from work, went outside and did some stretches, took deep breathes before reading the e-mail again." Then she texted me 5 minutes later saying, "I don't know why, but I just can't stop crying." She texted me the rest of the day saying that she's waiting for my dad to get back from work (they share one cellphone together)

After talking to my mom, I tried calling my sister's fiancé and he picked up. I asked if my sister was nearby and asked him to put me on speaker phone. I told her that I got in to medical school and she was like "Wait what? Are you sure? I thought they said in 2 weeks?! OMG OMG OMG". She cried over the phone haha.

And that's my fairytale story!

That is a great story, feeling the bern!! I hope one day I will be able to tell my loved ones that I got into med school ( they all know that it has been my dream for so many years).

It was midnight when I had the answer (in Quebec, universities send us a email at midnight).

I remember being happy but not ecstatic.

I called my parents and they said something short like "great, we are proud of you". Maybe that's because they were sleeping.

I went to bed right after.

It's funny because contrary to what Bambi said, my acceptance in my residency was much more joyful. I think it is because residency matching is way more stressful. If you miss your chance at the match in the first time, that is pretty much it.

Fuck you for making this thread lol  :lol:  Now I keep day dreaming about every possible scenario that could happen on May 9th

In reality, I'm probably just gonna freak out and start screaming regardless of what happens 

Your profile pic is so cute, I could not resist and I had to comment :) 

• 3 weeks later...

I got my dental school acceptance recently so I thought I'd chime in. The wait was crazy and I kept on wondering whether I messed up certain questions and became addicted to self critiquing my answers. A few weeks later, I woke up late one day(around noon) and I was going about my regular morning routine when I noticed an email notification. I opened up my email and dropped my phone (RIP Samsung Galaxy) reading the subject only. That moment of seeing a congratulations you have been admitted just made me jump for joy, scream, blast music and just break down. One long application cycle later and I did it! That feeling was just priceless but I couldn't tell any of my friends or family since my phone broke aha. Forutnately, my neighbor was home and I used his phone to call my mom and dad and they broke down. An unforgettable day and totally worth it. Also, the leafs clinched a playoff spot so I was even more excited and got hammered that night. The rest was history

To med students/residents.... its getting really close to decision day for most schools...just curious where were you went you found out you got in? What were you doing? What was your reaction? Who did you tell first? etc

I was at work, and completely unable to in any way reveal anything from the nature of what I was doing that day. I wasn't even able to check until around noon - 3 hours after they came out. 

I was able to sneak out though over lunch and go to a pizza store. I got a slice and wandered around processing a brave new world ha. 

Queen's released their acceptances on SOLUS the night before the actual decision day, so I found out unexpectedly while being neurotic on pm101 in my apartment.

I remember the bunch of us on here who found out early had a jolly good time on the decision day anticipation thread.

I think that night's sleep was the most peaceful one I ever had...

Archived