Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

15 hours ago, OT1996 said:

I also would like to know. I got into the OTA/PTA program at centennial college but I want to know the job prospects and earnings. Most of the ads I saw said something like $20 an hour.

Hi! This may be unrelated as I’m in BC, not Ontario, but I’m currently working as an OTA without a degree/diploma in the field. I just completed my last semester of a BSc in Behavioural Neuroscience. Double check the requirements section of jobs in your area to ensure whether or not you need the schooling to obtain the job! (But like I said, I’m in a different province so regulations may be different). 

37 minutes ago, excitedforfuture said:

Hey! Is anyone aware of when U of A will send out OT acceptances? 

Last year it was April 12th according to the older forums, but I am assuming it's going to be later because of COVID-19. Their website says mid-may but it also said that last year.

"Students with a very strong GPA (3.8+) and overall application will be recommended for acceptance or conditional acceptance around mid-May of the admission year. The remaining applicants will be advised of their status from late May, mid-late June etc., through August of the admission year, depending on how the application was ranked during the application review process.  So, if you don't hear from us at the end of May, your application will be reviewed again in June and so on.  Normally all admissions and refusals are completed and a waiting list created by the end of June. "

Hopefully sooner! The wait is killing me! 

16 hours ago, pompom8 said:

I’m in the same boat, if I’m not mistaken I’m pretty sure they finished sending out waitlists that same week they sent the acceptances. I’m thinking they maybe be waiting for the acceptances to respond before telling/rejecting us, but who knows. Everything’s a bit messed up this year with the pandemic going on it seems

Agreed, but I find it kinda unfair for not sending us anything at all.... they must know that we know that waitlists and acceptances have been sent out already...

1 minute ago, AhhhhGLPT said:

Agreed, but I find it kinda unfair for not sending us anything at all.... they must know that we know that waitlists and acceptances have been sent out already...

yeah, the wait alone has been challenging, then to hear offers were already sent out... I hope they send something soon, just so we know! I’m sure they have their reasons, but I do think it would’ve been better to email everyone all at once. 

4 minutes ago, PTwishing20 said:

yeah, the wait alone has been challenging, then to hear offers were already sent out... I hope they send something soon, just so we know! I’m sure they have their reasons, but I do think it would’ve been better to email everyone all at once. 

I feel the same way too, but it’s ok! We did the best we could, not everyone can get in, but just know that even if you didn’t get in doesn’t mean you’re not PT/OT material. It just wasn’t meant to be this year, there’s always next year :) I’m just concerned about how we’ll expand our experiences for next year’s application, considering we can’t really leave home

12 minutes ago, AhhhhGLPT said:

I will say, I know someone who did the program at UBC 3-4 years back, they said that they found out after the rejects went out. So it seems like it wasn’t always like this, I bet it just has to do with the fact that circumstances are different this year

9 minutes ago, PTwishing20 said:

Hi there! I think the main reason why not everyone hears back all at once is because admissions are done in waves. For example, they send out a specific number of acceptances on a certain week, then they wait for that cohort to either accept or deny their offers. From there, the department can see how many spots they have left in the program and send out another wave of acceptances based on that. They cannot do it all at once because then it would mean rejecting a higher number of people, or putting a higher number of people on a waitlist. For now guys - patience, have faith in this verrrrrry slow process, and remember: no news is still good news. 

Wishing you good luck! :) 

4 minutes ago, believeinOT2019 said:

Hi there! I think the main reason why not everyone hears back all at once is because admissions are done in waves. For example, they send out a specific number of acceptances on a certain week, then they wait for that cohort to either accept or deny their offers. From there, the department can see how many spots they have left in the program and send out another wave of acceptances based on that. They cannot do it all at once because then it would mean rejecting a higher number of people, or putting a higher number of people on a waitlist. For now guys - patience, have faith in this verrrrrry slow process, and remember: no news is still good news. 

Wishing you good luck! :) 

amazing! Thank you for your insight, really needed to see that. I appreciate your positivity! If you’re in this process as well... good luck to you too! Thanks again :-)

12 minutes ago, pompom8 said:

I feel the same way too, but it’s ok! We did the best we could, not everyone can get in, but just know that even if you didn’t get in doesn’t mean you’re not PT/OT material. It just wasn’t meant to be this year, there’s always next year :) I’m just concerned about how we’ll expand our experiences for next year’s application, considering we can’t really leave home

You should look at the reply below! There’s hope yet, haha! :-) but you’re definitely right, there is always next year!  So now we wait until the emails come, then we can look into that issue! This entire pandemic puts everyone into a complicated situation, so I think everyone is in the same boat. We’ll get there :-) 

On 4/14/2020 at 11:15 AM, OT1996 said:

I also would like to know. I got into the OTA/PTA program at centennial college but I want to know the job prospects and earnings. Most of the ads I saw said something like $20 an hour.

I work as a pta in Ontario, I get paid 17$ an hour full time, and I haven't really seen much above that. Most places that pay higher aren't full time.  Also lots of places are looking for  kinesiologists over PTA's (I have a kin degree but haven't taken the licensing  test). Both places I've worked at had me in a PTA type position but i would also have an increased role in the exercise half of the treatment plan. Honestly, I think with to popularity of kinesiology and the reduced spots in post grads there will be alot of kins looking for jobs in the next few years and pta's will have to compete with them in the market. I honestly wouldn't go into collage for it because of that, (also you cap out at ~23$ an hr and will have a hard time finding full time work) 

21 hours ago, believeinOT2019 said:

Hi there! I also applied for McGill OT this year. I applied last year but was rejected. I heard back from them on April 25th last year if this gives you an idea. I also saw others who heard back as soon as April 16th last year on older posts on this forum.  Good luck :)

Thanks so much!! And I really hope you do get in this year!! :D

1 hour ago, XKIN2019 said:

I work as a pta in Ontario, I get paid 17$ an hour full time, and I haven't really seen much above that. Most places that pay higher aren't full time.  Also lots of places are looking for  kinesiologists over PTA's (I have a kin degree but haven't taken the licensing  test). Both places I've worked at had me in a PTA type position but i would also have an increased role in the exercise half of the treatment plan. Honestly, I think with to popularity of kinesiology and the reduced spots in post grads there will be alot of kins looking for jobs in the next few years and pta's will have to compete with them in the market. I honestly wouldn't go into collage for it because of that, (also you cap out at ~23$ an hr and will have a hard time finding full time work) 

Did you do the college diploma program?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has heard back from McMaster or Queens for PT yet? I know that they changed their website to say that offers would be given out later in May. However, it seems that most schools are still sending theirs out earlier than their websites have indicated. 

1 hour ago, P-T2020 said:

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has heard back from McMaster or Queens for PT yet? I know that they changed their website to say that offers would be given out later in May. However, it seems that most schools are still sending theirs out earlier than their websites have indicated. 

According to the ORPAS website, all ORPAS school admission decisions will be posted together on May 29th.

47 minutes ago, OT202024 said:

Does anyone know how we access our CASPer score? I know that we're unable to obtain it through the actual CASPer system, but will individual universities provide you your score/feedback on your results?

As far as I understand, our CASPer scores will never be revealed to us. Really sucks. 

EDIT: you could try contacting the Universities you applied to, they probably won't give you your score but they might say if you did well or not? Worth a try I suppose.

43 minutes ago, OTHopes97 said:

Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard from Dal OT? In the FAQs it says we can contact the School of OT after April 15th about our application. Just wondered if anyone had already done so and heard back before I emailed myself.

Thanks!

Hey - I am also anxiously awaiting a response from Dal OT. I saw the FAQ and enquired yesterday about when they will be releasing their letters of acceptance and haven’t heard anything yet. 

25 minutes ago, Psyched4OTPT said:

Hey - I am also anxiously awaiting a response from Dal OT. I saw the FAQ and enquired yesterday about when they will be releasing their letters of acceptance and haven’t heard anything yet. 

Ah ok! Hopefully they let us know soon! It’s so stressful since they were released so much earlier in previous years. Can you let me know if they email you back? I don’t want to bother them more if many other people have already sent emails.

15 minutes ago, OTHopes97 said:

Ah ok! Hopefully they let us know soon! It’s so stressful since they were released so much earlier in previous years. Can you let me know if they email you back? I don’t want to bother them more if many others people have already sent emails.

Yes will do! And I know... normally they are released well before the 15th and it sucks that they haven’t even given us a date or told us that they are delayed and to hang tight... just constantly refreshing my email