Premed 101 Forums

How MANY people had issues with the online interview?

Am I reading the latest email correctly...?!

not everyone who completed the online Kira interview will receive the chance to have a panel interview. Only the highest ranking MMI+ file review scorers are going to have the chance, plus those who are called from a “waitlist”....

5 minutes ago, UWCC said:

not everyone who completed the online Kira interview will receive the chance to have a panel interview. Only the highest ranking MMI+ file review scorers are going to have the chance, plus those who are called from a “waitlist”....

Yes you are, my friend.

8 minutes ago, UWCC said:

Had a feeling they were going to do this when they said they'd split the MMI and panel, logistically it would be hard to get the panel interviewers and applicants together at a new time on short notice.

At least we'll have a better idea of where we are at in terms of chances before May?

7 minutes ago, UWCC said:

From what I understood, it seems like even in "normal times" they use MMI + file review to rank people and then check your panel as a formality (ie. probably just make sure you didn't say anything crazy). At least thats how I read the first half of the second paragraph.

so this is essentially the same process as they usually do, they're just cutting out panels for people who they were never going to consider in the first place. Still sucks for sure but at least we will know where we stand earlier :unsure:

1 minute ago, s-girl88 said:

From what I understood, it seems like even in "normal times" they use MMI + file review to rank people and then check your panel as a formality (ie. probably just make sure you didn't say anything crazy). At least thats how I read the first half of the second paragraph.

so this is essentially the same process as they usually do, they're just cutting out panels for people who they were never going to consider in the first place. Still sucks for sure but at least we will know where we stand earlier :unsure:

Ahh I see, okay thank you + the other posters above who also helped clarify and confirm! Hang in there everyone... :/ 

This feels like going back to square 1 and waiting for an interview invite all over again.  I don't see how this can be an equitable evaluation given that all other interview dates had the opportunity to do both the MMI and the panel.  Some people may perform better in a panel than an MMI which gives the previous dates an advantage.  

Does anyone know what they mean by “file review”? Is that just based on ABS and reference letters, or is it going to be everything (Including GPA and MCAT)? Because normally when they determine the final offers it’s just based on interview, ABS, reference letters, so that’s really unfair if now they go back and take into account our GPA and MCAT :( 

1 hour ago, HighAltitudeMedicine said:

This feels like going back to square 1 and waiting for an interview invite all over again.  I don't see how this can be an equitable evaluation given that all other interview dates had the opportunity to do both the MMI and the panel.  Some people may perform better in a panel than an MMI which gives the previous dates an advantage.  

I believe in past years the panel was also more of a formality and/or pass/fail. If anything this just gives us insight into how they have been doing this admissions process all along.

16 minutes ago, grasswedge said:

I believe in past years the panel was also more of a formality and/or pass/fail. If anything this just gives us insight into how they have been doing this admissions process all along.

Do you have a reference? I have heard that the panel has at least some weight in interview scoring. In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to go to that length just to check for red flags. Just my thoughts though.

2 hours ago, 88risingsun said:

Do you have a reference? I have heard that the panel has at least some weight in interview scoring. In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to go to that length just to check for red flags. Just my thoughts though.

Nothing is certain but my opinion is that they wouldn't drastically change the process and it's more likely this is how it was done all along. Even if they did weigh the panel in previous years, I'm sure would they would make the panel pass/fail for the in-person group of interviews this year as well in order to preserve equity between the two groups.