Premed 101 Forums

Will McMaster release selection criteria before May 12?

2 hours ago, MDLD said:

image.png.b6be181dcbbb7c222e0dc8835f341b2d.png

I don't remember them saying a couple. In the call I remember them saying they will let us know in a "few weeks" and we shall here more "soon" 

Of course, what soon means to me may differ what it means to them. At this point I wonder why I want them to release the selection criteria at all - other than the fact that McMaster is good at being transparent they have no reason to be so forthcoming. 

5 minutes ago, JayKay said:

I don't remember them saying a couple. In the call I remember them saying they will let us know in a "few weeks" and we shall here more "soon" 

Of course, what soon means to me may differ what it means to them. At this point I wonder why I want them to release the selection criteria at all - other than the fact that McMaster is good at being transparent they have no reason to be so forthcoming. 

I heard "a couple" in the first online session. The recording starts after he says it though so can't confirm. 

Maybe I'm alone here as a youngin who'd go to a 3 year school, but I think the economics of attending a 3 year school (even as a 20/21/22 year old) are really hard to pass up (if given the choice). I know we're not supposed to talk about economic incentives, but personally I think I would find it really hard to willingly take the mid six figures hit going for a 4 year over 3 year school generates. At the same time, I really don't want to get ahead of myself before getting any offers and I do think doing something I enjoy is more important...  

Let's say you only interview in Ontario (30k/year tuition!). Going to Mac would save you ~30K right out, and allow you to hit an attending salary a year earlier. When you look at the lifelong impact of getting even the average physician income a year earlier it's quite significant. Even if you acknowledge the overhead, tax burden, skewing of the average up by those high grossers, and down by part-timers, it's still a significant amount of money, especially since getting that income a year earlier (for a younger person) means more income in the house buying, family starting (if applicable) phase of life. 

1 hour ago, swoman said:

Why would it not be everyone's last choice as it's a three year program? There's only a very specific student population that would prefer 3 years over 4.

Prefer Mac: older students who want to enter the workforce earlier, students whose families live in the area, students who want to save money (tuition and living expenses), students who know their specialty of choice, likes PBL

I think the reasons for choosing a 4 year program over Mac's 3 would be: likes the school/city, wants vacation time, prefers lecture based learning, wants more time for research

35 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

Maybe I'm alone here as a youngin who'd go to a 3 year school, but I think the economics of attending a 3 year school (even as a 20/21/22 year old) are really hard to pass up (if given the choice).

That's interesting to think about. You are essentially losing out on $200 000 + compound interest/investments over decades to attend a 4yr program instead of a 3yr program.

1 hour ago, aloeplant said:

Prefer Mac: older students who want to enter the workforce earlier, students whose families live in the area, students who want to save money (tuition and living expenses), students who know their specialty of choice, likes PBL

I think the reasons for choosing a 4 year program over Mac's 3 would be: likes the school/city, wants vacation time, prefers lecture based learning, wants more time for research

I think knowing vs not knowing your specialty of choice is a big one! I'm a 4th yr undergrad and I really don't see myself figuring out exactly what I want to pursue by next year. I also have a few 21/22 year old friends who are first years in MacMed right now and are very stressed due to the pressure of having less time to figure things out. 

1 hour ago, swoman said:

3 year Pros: 1 less year of tuition, rent, living expenses in medical school; 1 additional year of your highest year of physician earnings

3 year Cons: You have to decide what specialty you want early on in order to build your CV around it with research. This will be especially difficult with a lack of clinical exposure due to COVID-19. No summers, you'll go 50 weeks straight during clerkship from winter break to winter break. 

Agreed, but slight correction - you have (3?) weeks of break during clerkship b/w winter breaks, check out the updated curriculum calendar. Also this schedule will be very similar to your residency and attending schedules, so there might be merit in getting used to that lifestyle while still in school.

1 hour ago, swoman said:

3 year Pros: 1 less year of tuition, rent, living expenses in medical school; 1 additional year of your highest year of physician earnings

3 year Cons: You have to decide what specialty you want early on in order to build your CV around it with research. This will be especially difficult with a lack of clinical exposure due to COVID-19. No summers, you'll go 50 weeks straight during clerkship from winter break to winter break. 

Cringy personal (and probably naive) con of 3yr program: I know med school will be a lot of work, but I would also like to think I will enjoy much of it. Personally I don't want to lose a year of good (and bad) times with peers. I am in no rush to start my career. I'm trying to enjoy the different stages of my life in their fullest, not shorten them! 

I know that is incredibly naive and potentially dumb but for a younger student I think it makes sense?

1 minute ago, swoman said:

I'll put $5 on them sending it with the decision email:

this sounds crazy but I actually think thats what they might do. Just tack it on to the end of our decision letters, kinda makes sense. That way you get half as many complaints (the ppl who got accepted lol) 

6 minutes ago, swoman said:

I'll put $5 on them sending it with the decision email:

I was just gonna bet this but put $10 on it lol. I suspect it'll be something like "After much deliberation and statistical analysis, the following selection formula has been approved by various important people. Based on this, we are pleased to inform you/we regret to inform you/ [whatever they say for waitlists]"