Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites 2020/2021 Cycle

2 minutes ago, UalbertaG said:

Okay my bad then a user posted a while back that they were screened out with a 524 because there cars score was less than 128. Good to hear it’s a little more holistic for OOP. 

I saw this too and got real fired up about it so i contacted them directly lol. It is a holistic screen with no hard cut offs but they said that for OOP a 510 mcat and ~85% was competitive. They said you're not automatically excluded if below, but chances of admission are greatly diminished. 

18 hours ago, UalbertaG said:

Hey if your OOP I saw a post a while back from a user on these forums that for OOP applicants they have an internal minimum of 128 in any given section. I may be totally wrong but I recall reading that.

That person was trolling- it's literally impossible to have a 524 and less than 128 in cars lol. If they got perfect in all other sections and 127 in cars you get 132 X 3 + 127 = 523. They could not have had less than 128 in cars

Hey all! also got OOP rejection today. 509 MCAT (127/130/125/127) and a 3.87 cGPA with pretty good ECs. Not surprised, but of course a little disappointed.

From reading the rest of the thread and all the OOP rejections (and IP rejections for that matter) does anyone think they may have reduced the number of interviews they are doing this year due to limitations of the virtual format? Or was the applicant pool just particularly competitive? (or maybe we are just a particularly unlucky bunch on this thread? lol)

31 minutes ago, Willy Wonka Golden Ticket said:

Hey all! also got OOP rejection today. 509 MCAT (127/130/125/127) and a 3.87 cGPA with pretty good ECs. Not surprised, but of course a little disappointed.

From reading the rest of the thread and all the OOP rejections (and IP rejections for that matter) does anyone think they may have reduced the number of interviews they are doing this year due to limitations of the virtual format? Or was the applicant pool just particularly competitive? (or maybe we are just a particularly unlucky bunch on this thread? lol)

Who knows. That would be terrible, to reduce interviews with how much people have riding on each application.... Feel like admissions needs to keep that in mind with switching formats

I was (slightly) surprised by being rejected but not sure how competitive the pool is this year too. For reference:

cGPA 3.8ish, MCAT 507 (but CARS 130), and got OOP interviews at EC heavy schools last year (Calgary + UBC).

22 minutes ago, WizardPalace said:

Who knows. That would be terrible, to reduce interviews with how much people have riding on each application.... Feel like admissions needs to keep that in mind with switching formats

I was (slightly) surprised by being rejected but not sure how competitive the pool is this year too. For reference:

cGPA 3.8ish, MCAT 507 (but CARS 130), and got OOP interviews at EC heavy schools last year (Calgary + UBC).

I honestly wonder how much ECs are really looked at pre-interview. I mean the turn around time for them giving interview invites is like 6-7 weeks ish. With 400+ OOP applicants, it doesn't seem feasible for them to take a real deep dive into the specifics of our applications. While they say there isn't specific GPA and MCAT cutoffs, based on the data shared already on this thread (albeit a small sample size) it seems like even having one or two low sections on the MCAT, or a couple years with lower GPA can really break your application.

6 minutes ago, naptime98 said:

I honestly wonder how much ECs are really looked at pre-interview. I mean the turn around time for them giving interview invites is like 6-7 weeks ish. With 400+ OOP applicants, it doesn't seem feasible for them to take a real deep dive into the specifics of our applications. While they say there isn't specific GPA and MCAT cutoffs, based on the data shared already on this thread (albeit a small sample size) it seems like even having one or two low sections on the MCAT, or a couple years with lower GPA can really break your application.

This is totally reasonable. I guess I was really placing trust in admissions when they told applicants this year that OOP get full file reviews now regardless of gpa and mcat. 

1 hour ago, Willy Wonka Golden Ticket said:

I'm almost wondering if they're using Casper as a cutoff to reduce the number for virtual format. But that is pure speculation. 

1 hour ago, WizardPalace said:

They don't look at ECs ore interview for OOP applications if I'm not mistaken.