Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites 2020/2021 Cycle

For those who were unsuccessful this year, I highly recommend scheduling a follow up interview with admissions to go over your application with you. This is my third go around and I feel like their input has helped strengthen my application from year to year. I was able to meet with Dr. Thiessen last year and I found him to be quite helpful.

1 minute ago, Limes said:

For those who were unsuccessful this year, I highly recommend scheduling a follow up interview with admissions to go over your application with you. This is my third go around and I feel like their input has helped strengthen my application from year to year. I was able to meet with Dr. Thiessen last year and I found him to be quite helpful.

thanks for your great suggestion!  how do we schedule these follow up interview? and when could we start scheduling if i was rejected for interview? 

1 minute ago, MEDCRAJ said:

thanks for your great suggestion!  how do we schedule these follow up interview? and when could we start scheduling if i was rejected for interview? 

I was rejected pre-interview in 2018 and I was on the phone with them that day scheduling the follow up interview - they got me in to meet in person 2 months later. I imagine you would be able to meet remotely or via phone call in a similar amount of time.

Best bet, call admissions today or tomorrow and get that process started. They really are kind and helpful, and for those who were curious, Dr. Thiessen was very familiar with my file when I spoke to him. It really felt like he did his homework with respect to my application and it was definitely appreciated!

8 minutes ago, Limes said:

I was rejected pre-interview in 2018 and I was on the phone with them that day scheduling the follow up interview - they got me in to meet in person 2 months later. I imagine you would be able to meet remotely or via phone call in a similar amount of time.

Best bet, call admissions today or tomorrow and get that process started. They really are kind and helpful, and for those who were curious, Dr. Thiessen was very familiar with my file when I spoke to him. It really felt like he did his homework with respect to my application and it was definitely appreciated!

Thanks for letting us know this is an option! Did they provide any general tips on what they’re looking for in an applicant’s application/interview? You don’t have to mention if it’s very specific to your application, but itd be super helpful to know for when I apply next year/to other schools because no other schools offer this feedback!

Just now, 09mmd15 said:

Thanks for letting us know this is an option! Did they provide any general tips on what they’re looking for in an applicant’s application/interview? You don’t have to mention if it’s very specific to your application, but itd be super helpful to know for when I apply next year/to other schools because no other schools offer this feedback!

For me, it was always very specific to certain aspects of my application and I was always afforded an opportunity to delve into those topics more in depth during the meeting. They didn't really go into what they're looking for generally speaking, aside from what I could infer based on my unsuccessful attempts. It's fairly rare to candidly discuss your application with the adcoms directly, so for anyone in this situation I definitely suggest you take advantage of it. I know I'll be scheduling another meeting if it doesn't work out again this year.

16 minutes ago, morgmorgmorg said:

hi friends since everyone is asking lol 

509 mcat (125/129/127/128)

72ish average but had a huge upward trend..2 most recent undergrad years at 92, thesis-based masters with 85 average

I would say that I have way above average EC's and research (not to sound like a dick)

Hey if your OOP I saw a post a while back from a user on these forums that for OOP applicants they have an internal minimum of 128 in any given section. I may be totally wrong but I recall reading that.

Just now, UalbertaG said:

Hey if your OOP I saw a post a while back from a user on these forums that for OOP applicants they have an internal minimum of 128 in any given section. I may be totally wrong but I recall reading that.

No. That’s not true. They got rid of absolute minimums (within reason) for OOP, except CARS I believe. It even says online the average for past OOP was 510, 85% with 127 CARS. These are averages not absolutes.

16 minutes ago, shake-n-bake said:

No. That’s not true. They got rid of absolute minimums (within reason) for OOP, except CARS I believe. It even says online the average for past OOP was 510, 85% with 127 CARS. These are averages not absolutes.

Okay my bad then a user posted a while back that they were screened out with a 524 because there cars score was less than 128. Good to hear it’s a little more holistic for OOP.