Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Interview Invites/Regrets 2021

Time stamp: Jan14, 2:10CST

Program: MD

Result: Rejection

OMSAS GPA: 3.88

CARS: 127

IP/OOP: OOP

CASPer: I thought it went alright, but I don't think I would've came off as a super strong applicant. Probably could've prepped more, but I'm not super heartbroken about this because 1) it was expected, and 2) I'm banking on getting into my home province med school. Congrats to everyone who got invites!

PS: anyone know how OOP and IP affects acceptance for McMaster?

2 hours ago, granty said:

PS: anyone know how OOP and IP affects acceptance for McMaster?

https://mdprogram.mcmaster.ca/md-program-admissions/how-we-select/geographical-status

"Ninety percent of interview positions will be given to those who qualify as (1) Province of Ontario Resident, and 10% to those who qualify as (2) Outside Ontario."

Time stamp: Jan 14, 2:08PM

Result: Invite

OMSAS GPA: 3.83

CARS: 130

IP/OOP: IP

CASPer: I think it went alright, I finished most questions (got cut off on only a few). Prepped for a few days, just kinda went with my intuition and tried to write as much as possible in 5 mins lol. 

Time stamp: Jan 14

Result: Rejected

OMSAS GPA: 4.0

CARS: 129

CASPer: I thought it went well, but maybe not? I read Doing Right and practiced for about 3 weeks. I didn't get cut off on any questions, and tried to write thoughtful and complete answers for each one. However, this was my first time writing the CASPer.

For those who are familiar with the Canadian medical school application process, do you know if being a third year is counted against you? This is my first time applying, so I was curious if being a third year affects admission decisions. 

Congrats to everyone offered an interview, and good luck on the rest of the application cycle!

18 hours ago, premed1508 said:

For those who are familiar with the Canadian medical school application process, do you know if being a third year is counted against you? This is my first time applying, so I was curious if being a third year affects admission decisions

As bearded frog mentioned, definitely not for mac (their interview invites are completely formulaic and stats-based), definitely not for Ottawa (tons of people in our class got in out of third year), Queen's and u of T I'm not sure but I know people who got interviews and/or acceptances at both out of third year so they definitely take third years, but I'm not sure if it affects you in the admissions process (although I doubt it).

What I've generally heard is that being a third year can hurt you in the sense that you have one or more fewer years of experience/ECs, but they look at all applications equally and don't care what year you're in. This wouldn't make any difference for mac though, since they only look at stats

Time Stamp: Jan 14, 2:27PM

Result: Rejected

OMSAS GPA: 3.80

CARS: 127

CARS: Did a lot of preparation. Responded to all prompts on test day. 

My goodness, how much I regret majoring in math in undergrad sometimes. Clearly, my GPA (and CARS for that matter) did no favours for my application. Hard to say how my CASPER turned out. Time to plan ahead for next year. Best wishes to all who applied this year :)

Sorry I'm super late to post, but this is for future applicant reference:

Result: Rejection 

Timestamp: 2:38PM EST

OMSAS GPA: 3.90

CARS: 128

Casper: Felt good about my CASPer practice and did a lot of it. Not the fastest typer but I practiced almost everyday doing typing games and practice CASPer with my university career support. Clearly I may not have done too well on it because the rejection says it all :( Heartbroken but I guess I'll have to work harder to make myself a better applicant. This is my first application to med school.. not going so well.