Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Interview Invites/Regrets 2021

Program: MD

Result: Invite (?!) 

Timestamp: 2:09 pm EST

OMSAS GPA: 3.99

CARS: 126

IP/OOP: IP

Casper: Was cut off on two questions and didn't feel as natural as last year (when I had the same stats and no invites). Practiced like crazy for it though in the summer since I was writing in August for Dal

I think this goes to show how subjective the whole process can be and all we can really do is put in as much effort as we can and hope for the best. Good luck to everyone for the rest of the cycle :)

Time stamp: 2:41 PM EST

Result: Rejection

OMSAS GPA: 3.93

CARS: 128

Casper: Prepped a fair amount and thought it went alright, but still found myself struggling for time/getting cut off quite often.

Definitely disappointed but felt it could go either way for me. If anyone has any secrets to doing well on CASPer, let me know, because clearly after my second Mac rejection I can't seem to figure it out!

Time stamp: 2:10 PM EST

Result: Invite!!!

OMSAS GPA: 3.80

CARS: 128 (MSc in progress, not sure if 1 is added or not?)

CASPer: In the my-chances thread someone told me I need a higher than 75 percentile to get an invite. Not sure how accurate it was though. Anyway, I got started to prep 1 months before, joined a group of awesome applicants to discuss questions together, read Doing Right, and use PrepMatch a lot.

Didn't feel the best when doing CASPer so I am so surprised I got the invite. I was so crushed by UBC regrets last month. Congrats to everyone getting an invite and good luck to those not! I got R by Mac 2 years ago and thought I was done. There must be hope!

Result: Interview waitlist

Timestamp: 11:18 AM Pacific

OMSAS GPA: 3.90

CARS: 132

IP/OOP: OOP

Casper: Decent, idk

I've never heard of an interview waitlist before, is this a new thing this year? I've heard that all students from last year who were involved in that lottery thing and didn't get selected were granted automatic interviews this year. If this is true, then perhaps they made a waitlist to accommodate those people first? If someone knows more please lmk!

Just now, MustardBoy said:

Result: Interview waitlist

Timestamp: 11:18 AM Pacific

OMSAS GPA: 3.90

CARS: 132

Casper: Decent, idk

I've never heard of an interview waitlist before, is this a new thing this year? I've heard that all students from last year who were involved in that lottery thing and didn't get selected were granted automatic interviews this year. If this is true, then perhaps they made a waitlist to accommodate those people first? If someone knows more please lmk!

They did offer guaranteed interviews this cycle for anyone who received a Mac interview last year but then did not receive any offers. They just added interview slots for those applicants though, so there are more interviewees this year rather than those people taking up this year's spots, and I know the interview waitlist existed last year as well, so I don't think the two are connected. Good luck with the waitlist, hope it works out!

Result: Invite!!

Timestamp: 2:06 PM EST

OMSAS GPA: 3.94

Casper: felt ambiguous about how I did afterwards. But since I had applied before with the same stats, but didn't get an interview then, that must mean my Casper really improved this time around! 

If anyone wants to prep for interviews together, please message me! 

Result: Invite!! 

Time stamp: 11:05 PST 

GPA: 4.0

CARS: 130 

Casper: I felt pretty good about it. I was able to provide an answer for all questions. 

I think I’m still in shock! Congratulations to everyone who received an interview and best wishes for everyone reapplying next cycle. This was my second time applying :) 

Result: Regret

Timestamp: 3:06 PM EST

OMSAS GPA: 3.85 

Casper: I liked some of my answers but I’m a slow typer so couldn’t write as much as I wanted for every question

Congratulations to everyone who received an interview!! And those who didn’t, I hope we receive some good news from other schools!

Result: Regrets (not really surprised given I'm probably average for OOP)

Timestamp: 2:38 pm EST, Jan 14

OMSAS GPA: 3.87

CARS: 129

Casper: Felt good, did extensive prep for several months, wrote 5 practice exams & received really positive feedback so I felt hopeful! 

First year applying with a non-trad academic background. 

Congrats to all those interviewing :)

FWIW mac's wait-lists have been legit in the past. I know people have been given interviews off the interview wait-list, and I personally was accepted off the post-interview wait-list way back when. However, it is hard to predict this year. How many people given guaranteed interviews were accepted elsewhere or are not interested in medical school this year and will not attend? I don't know if they will accept off interview wait-list to fill the additional guaranteed interview spots. on the other hand, with interviews being online and the financial and logistical costs low perhaps the very few that would have withdrawn their interview in years past will not this year.

1 hour ago, smolandfeisty said:

Result: Regrets (not really surprised given I'm probably average for OOP)

Timestamp: 2:38 pm EST, Jan 14

OMSAS GPA: 3.87

CARS: 129

Casper: Felt good, did extensive prep for several months, wrote 5 practice exams & received really positive feedback so I felt hopeful! 

First year applying with a non-trad academic background. 

Congrats to all those interviewing :)

Sorry for your regrets.

But I'm also non-trad and had the exact same stats as you! Don't give up! 

You're close!!