Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

On 6/9/2022 at 9:29 PM, PT_2022 said:

Anyone heard of any movement on the UofT PT waitlist? 

Just received this email form UofOT regarding waitlists:

Thanks for reaching out about your application waitlist status. Typically if someone is nearing the top of our waitlist we will reach out to them directly in advance. Unfortunately, this does not (yet) appear to be the case though for your file as our class has remained full since late May. Based on past years’ trends, I don’t expect further significant waitlist movement but we will keep the waitlist open all summer, including up until late-August or early-September in case any last-minute positions open up. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best regards,

1 hour ago, Hopeful2022 said:

Has anyone who accepted Western OT received any more emails/information? I accepted my waitlist offer on May 31st and have not received any more information or emails. Just want to check if thats normal? :) 

Hi,

I'm a second year in the OT program at Western.

Yes, thats completely normal - we didnt start to receive emails until about mid July!

1 hour ago, 2022OTRMWDoodler said:

Just received this email form UofOT regarding waitlists:

Thanks for reaching out about your application waitlist status. Typically if someone is nearing the top of our waitlist we will reach out to them directly in advance. Unfortunately, this does not (yet) appear to be the case though for your file as our class has remained full since late May. Based on past years’ trends, I don’t expect further significant waitlist movement but we will keep the waitlist open all summer, including up until late-August or early-September in case any last-minute positions open up. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best regards,

This was for OT, correct?

On 5/29/2022 at 4:10 PM, Hopeful2022 said:

Hey congrats on your acceptances!! It sounds like you had a really strong application! Can I ask why you chose UofT? I found I had a really hard time choosing between the programs! Thanks :)

Hello! Thanks so much!

I also had a really hard time choosing between McMaster and UofT. I chose UofT because of the placements - I don't drive so it's helpful for them to be accessible by transit and from what I heard they are a bit better than the other schools. I went to McMaster for my undergrad and wanted a new experience! 

Pros of McMaster 

- Self-directed learning/PBL 

-Research experiences

Cons 

-No large research project from what I saw 

-Placements not accessible by transit 

Pros of UofT 

-Research project course 

-Placements more accessible 

-IPE 

and I didn't come up with cons so I am definitely one-sided lol 

What school did you end up choosing and why? 

On 5/13/2022 at 7:23 PM, AspiringPT2022 said:

Applied (PT): UofT, Queens, Western, McMaster
Accepted: Queens, Western
Waitlisted:
Rejected: UofT, McMaster
s-GPA: 3.92
Casper: 4th quartile 

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Experience working in a long term care home and private physiotherapy clinic. Strong references from a physiotherapist and my undergrad thesis supervisor. I felt pretty good after writing the CAP so a little upset about that one, but glad to have queens and western as options! Not too sure yet which one I’d like to accept, so if anyone has any tips on how to decide let me know hahah

can I message you about western and queens pt?

On 5/14/2022 at 9:28 PM, QasinCucumber said:

Applied (PT): UofT, McMaster, Queen's, Western 
Accepted: Queen's (accepting!)
Waitlisted: Western (top/upper third; email received May 17th), McMaster (#96; email received May 16th)
Rejected: UofT (nothing on ACORN leading up to results day on May 13th)
GPA: 3.88 cGPA and 3.97 sGPA 
CASPer: 3rd quartile 
Year: graduating from undergrad  

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: References should have been strong; I used my research supervisor + employer (non-PT related). The Mac Kira Talent interview felt really short and I didn't feel prepared cause it was so early in the application cycle. Was expecting a direct rejection from Mac cause the interview is worth 75%. The UofT CAP was a time crunch but the questions didn't feel too difficult. I thought I did alright on the CAP. Was expecting a decent chance at UofT, especially considering the sGPA is worth 60% and the minimum sGPA for a CAP invite is usually ~3.8. My essays for Western and Queen's felt so-so cause I had experience reflecting and writing about my ECs/experiences/competencies, but I had no direct PT experience; instead, I related to PT and communicated my knowledge of PT. 

Expected chances: UofT > Western > Queen's >= McMaster 

Actual chances: Queen's > Western >= McMaster > UofT  

can I message you about queens pt?

46 minutes ago, highhopesot said:

Does anyone have insight on Dal's OT waitlist and how it moves? I received an email this morning (out of province) that I have been placed on the waitlist. 

I was wondering this as well! also, does anyone know if Dalhousie reject anyone or just place everyone on the waitlist? 

On 5/16/2022 at 2:34 PM, LETSGOPT2022 said:

Hey guys, does anyone know how a provisional acceptance works? I got an offer to Queen's, however, I have been waitlisted to all other Ontario schools. Although I am beyond excited to get an offer to Queen's my first try, I reside close to Toronto and getting into UofT would save me a lot of money.

If I provisionally accept, does that just extend the deadline till which I can receive offers from other schools? Not too sure how this works.

can i message you about queens pt? I want to ask about your research experience 

On 5/16/2022 at 8:32 PM, PFPT said:

Congratulations to everyone accepted!! An update on the application: 

Applied + (PT or OT?): All PT - Dalhousie, Queen’s, UofT, Western & Mac (Ontario resident)

Accepted: Dalhousie, Queen's, UofT, Western (took Western)

Waitlisted: McMaster (top 100)

Rejected:

GPA c-gpa and s-gpa: c-gpa 3.65 & s-gpa 3.96

CASPer quartile: 4th quartile.

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

-PT-ish experiences were 16 hours volunteering as a PTA. 1060 hours doing admin for a pelvic health physio clinic, 90 hours PTA for the same clinic. 21 hours as an exercise assistant for patients undergoing cancer treatment and 14 hours as a workout buddy for students who were referred to increase physical activity for their mental health. 

-Other experiences were 130 hours as a TA for anatomy, 90 hours completing cadaver dissections, 41 hours as a research assistant and 33 hours as a peer mentor for students. 

-References: one academic was my anatomy prof who I work with as a TA and who supervised a senior project. Dal needed a second prof, so I have the one I worked with as an RA. Professional was the owner of the clinic I did PTA & admin with. I think they all know me pretty well and should hopefully give strong references.

-Personal statements: I didn’t feel *super* confident in these. I think Western ended up being the best, Queens in the middle and Dal was not my favourite. I had a few people read them over and used university resources to also proofread. 

So apparently Kira didn't go fantastic, but I was SUPER nervous for it and had had my wisdom teeth removed about a week before so not an ideal time lol

can I message you about queens and western pt and about your research experience? 

5 hours ago, HockeyPT98 said:

Hey! Has anyone that has been waitlisted for uOttawa PT get any updates yet? I know they don't share what your position is on the waitlist or when you might hear back, so trying to see if anyone has yet! 

I have not heard about any movement or updates from them yet either. I reached out and they said that there are 41 people on the waitlist but that was the only info they gave.

good luck!

Now that I finally heard back from Dal this morning I can do this (lol).

Applied + (PT or OT?): all OT - UBC, UofA, Dal, McMaster, Western, UofT, Queens
Accepted: UBC, Western, Queens
Waitlisted: UofA (middle), Dal
Rejected: Mac (no interview), UofT

Casper score: 4th quartile
GPA:c-gpa 3.53 and s-gpa 3.64, 86% for UBC
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

I feel that I have very strong essays. I have lots of relevant personal and professional experiences that I was able to pull from. In my essays I talked about how some personal experiences/identities have shaped how I treat patients, and how this will translate into work as an OT. My references are the executive director of a nonprofit for people with disabilities that I work at (strong), my honours supervisor (very strong), and the professor whose lab I worked in doing neuropsych testing on kids with ASD (I think strong). I have over 800+ relevant volunteer/work hours.

I was really surprised to get offers from Western and Queens with my GPA but I guess that just shows how much they value Casper scores, essays, and references.

I’m a BC resident and have accepted my UBC offer and turned down all others. Super excited to start in the fall!

On 6/7/2022 at 7:24 AM, otapplicant101 said:

Hi! Are there any Facebook groups for those attending Dalhousie for OT in the fall? Would like to connect with you all! :) 

I was also wondering this! It looks like the previous class makes the Facebook group for the new class and they make them near the end of June/July. It would be nice to chat beforehand though for sure!

Hey! I just wanted to make sure that I have all the steps for the Western OT acceptance done correctly. Can anyone who has accepted Western OT confirm that we just need to send in the deposit (which shows up as -$500 on the Western portal when received), and send our conferred transcript through ORPAS? Just wanted to double check I'm not missing anything before June 30th! Thank you!

On 6/7/2022 at 7:24 AM, otapplicant101 said:

Hi! Are there any Facebook groups for those attending Dalhousie for OT in the fall? Would like to connect with you all! :) 

Hi, I agree! I cant find anything yet. However, would be nice to have one started soon:) If anyone comes across the group when it's made it would be much apprecited if you posted here, thanks!

Hi just wanted to let y'all know that I got accepted into Western OT this morning! I was told I am in the middle of the waitlist back in May so the waitlist is moving fairly well. Good luck to those of you still anxiously waiting! This is my second time applying to Western but third year applying and its felt like forever since wanting to finally be in this position. :) Keep working hard you guys!