Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

On 6/22/2022 at 3:07 PM, OTprospect22 said:

Is this the same for OOP - from Alberta? I applied and had to go through a different document upload system to get it onto OPRAS so do I just repeat that for my final transcript?

Yes Im pretty sure. Hope you were able to do it

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2022 at 9:20 PM, OTletsgo said:

Hi everyone, is there any facebook group or any group page to join U of T OT? 

Yup! They sent the link in an email in June. You can look it up on FB. It's called something along the lines of "University of Toronto Occupational Therapy Class of 2024" 

I'm late to the party but here are my stats.

Applied (OT): Western, Queen's, Mac, U of T 

Applied (PT): Mac, U of T, Queen's 

Accepted: All - committed to U of T OT

Waitlisted: none

Rejected: none

GPA: 3.87 c-gpa and 3.96 s-gpa

Casper: 4th quartile 

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

I had 3 references from people who knew me really well. Over 500 hrs of rehab experience in different settings (PT, OT, SLP in Peds, Ortho, geriatrics, and Neuro). I had lots of research experience but most of it was not related to PT/OT. Work experience included a clinical/research internship at a major hospital (one of my references was from my supervisor there).

I also had a lot of experiences outside of rehab that I was able to tie back to PT/OT, which I think helped my application stand out. 

My Mac Physio interview was really bad because I felt like I didn't have enough time to talk about my experiences and skillset in depth. But I guess it was good enough to get me into the program. On the other hand, I really enjoyed my Mac OT interview and was much more confident in my responses to those questions. 

Call me crazy but I LOVED the U of T CAP LOL I didn't prepare but I thought it was a fun way to reflect on all my PT experience and my journey through undergrad. I also enjoyed writing all the OT application essays. For the trends in healthcare one, I was able to tie it back to some of my personal experiences in the field which was probably an added strength. 

Overall I think I stressed WAY too much over applications and probably could've chilled out a bit, but I can't wait to officially start my OT journey this fall :D

9 hours ago, kinfused said:

I'm late to the party but here are my stats.

Applied (OT): Western, Queen's, Mac, U of T 

Applied (PT): Mac, U of T, Queen's 

Accepted: All - committed to U of T OT

Waitlisted: none

Rejected: none

GPA: 3.87 c-gpa and 3.96 s-gpa

Casper: 4th quartile 

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

I had 3 references from people who knew me really well. Over 500 hrs of rehab experience in different settings (PT, OT, SLP in Peds, Ortho, geriatrics, and Neuro). I had lots of research experience but most of it was not related to PT/OT. Work experience included a clinical/research internship at a major hospital (one of my references was from my supervisor there).

I also had a lot of experiences outside of rehab that I was able to tie back to PT/OT, which I think helped my application stand out. 

My Mac Physio interview was really bad because I felt like I didn't have enough time to talk about my experiences and skillset in depth. But I guess it was good enough to get me into the program. On the other hand, I really enjoyed my Mac OT interview and was much more confident in my responses to those questions. 

Call me crazy but I LOVED the U of T CAP LOL I didn't prepare but I thought it was a fun way to reflect on all my PT experience and my journey through undergrad. I also enjoyed writing all the OT application essays. For the trends in healthcare one, I was able to tie it back to some of my personal experiences in the field which was probably an added strength. 

Overall I think I stressed WAY too much over applications and probably could've chilled out a bit, but I can't wait to officially start my OT journey this fall :D

May I ask why you chose OT over PT? :)

On 7/23/2022 at 12:10 AM, zerochance said:

May I ask why you chose OT over PT? :)

Haha yup! I get that question all the time. It took me a while to decide between the professions because if I could pursue both, I would. 

Overall OT was a better fit for my personality and allowed for more flexibility longterm. I'm someone who enjoys change and constantly being challenged. In my PT experience, I found that the work remained consistent across different settings, whereas my OT work across different settings varied a lot. You can also practice psychotherapy as an OT which opens up another opportunity.

I'm also really interested in disability advocacy & research and how tech can be utilized to improve accessibility. I felt that OT would do a better job of preparing me for these fields.

Finally I noticed a large demand (both in Canada and abroad) for OTs who speak my native language, so I'm hoping to help fill that gap as both a clinician and researcher :)

I'll admit that sometimes I get cold feet about it because PT is the safer, more stable choice (tighter/more clearly defined scope, more well known profession) but for the most part, I'm confident in my choice and I know that I'll be able to thrive in my career regardless of whether I take on a traditional or nontraditional OT role. 

Hope that helps! Lmk if you have any other questions. 

On 6/23/2022 at 12:39 PM, zerochance said:

Wont it be difficult to work part time and do a masters program?  I ask because Im in the same position and Im thinking of not working during those 2 years...

It is doable :) I worked throughout year 1! You just need to set boundaries for yourself with school so it doesn't take over your whole life (easier said than done haha).

On 7/25/2022 at 7:42 AM, FutureCanadianPT said:

Hi everyone! 

I wanted to let everyone know that there has been movement on Dal's physiotherapist waitlist as I just got accepted into Dal's Physiotherapy today!

That being said, if anyone knows anyone looking for a roommate in Halifax or if there is a Dal physio facebook group to join, please let me know!!! 

Hi! Are you OOP? Or in province? 

On 7/25/2022 at 10:42 AM, FutureCanadianPT said:

Hi everyone! 

I wanted to let everyone know that there has been movement on Dal's physiotherapist waitlist as I just got accepted into Dal's Physiotherapy today!

That being said, if anyone knows anyone looking for a roommate in Halifax or if there is a Dal physio facebook group to join, please let me know!!! 

Hey! Do you know where you stood on the waitlist? (top, bottom etc)

Unfortunately it does not look like I’ll be getting off of the waitlists I was out on for OT this year. This was my second year applying, and I’m looking to apply again this year. I’m wondering if anyone has experience with taking online classes to boost up their gpa as I am thinking of doing this but having trouble finding information on how to do so! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Applied (PT): McGill University (QY), University of Sherbrooke

Waitlisted: McGill University (QY), University of Sherbrooke

Offered (August 16th): McGill University (QY)

Accepted: McGill University (QY)

GPA: 3.5

Casper: 3rd quartile

Perceived strength: Started a sports recovery technology brand, multiple certifications from NASM and ISSA (CES, ETS), over 200 observation hours in multiple clinics in different settings, 3 graduate diplomas in the field of business.

I have applied to various programs over the past 4 years and was finally able to get admitted into not only one program, but the program I wanted to get into from the beginning. For the people that did not get accepted or on a waitlist, find ways to better your application every year. Dedicate the next 5-6 months to making your resume or yourself better than you were the previous year. Everything I did over the past 3 years was to make my application harder to reject and that does not have to be something specific to PT or OT. I obtained graduate diplomas in Marketing, Leadership, and Entrepreneurship.

I have been looking at this forum for the past 2 years trying to see what people did that I did not and how I could make this dream come true. I invite the people that did not get their chance yet to do the same.