Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2023 - Countdown

some things to consider:

1) just because you didn't get your 1st/2nd choice doesn't mean the program you matched to is bad. If you think positively you will find some positive aspect about the people/city/program that could pleasantly surprise you.

2) every program has "good" and "bad" actors. You don't need to be BBF with everyone and as long as you have at least a few friends for support you can succeed.

3) a lot of times where you do electives or fellowship can have a bigger impact on your job prospect.

4) inevitably some time during your residency you will question if you made the right choice, then some time during the first 5 years of your practice you will question if you made the right choice, and maybe when you are ready to retire you may even question if you made the right choice. If you life is defined by your specialty/residency/job, then you are putting all your emotional eggs in one basket, so you should "get a life" outside of your job.

5) in theory, there are more residency spots than applicants, so more likely than not you'll end up with something.

The wait time is so beyond tolerable, I understand Interview period is needed, but honestly 13 days for the result doesn’t justify, they don’t do it manually, it is an application which can be done in 2 minutes and at most 1 week for verification. It is a lot of stress which I am not sure what longer term impacts would have on us

2 hours ago, zxcccxz said:

Honestly the wait has already been excrutiating thus far (since interviews finished) and will continue to be until match day. Applied to a competitive speciality, and did well on the limited interviews I got, but only match day will tell. Just really hoping to not recieve that call from UGME on Mar 21st.

Totally feel the same! Not feeling too good about my back-up programs either after coming across a recent post on another site that starts with R and ends with t about physicians quitting/shutting down their clinics. :(

12 minutes ago, No Name Brand said:

For the first iteration of the 2023 R-1 match, we’re processing a total of 114,321 applicant ranks and 57,665 program ranks.

Curious how this compares to previous years and what this means for the 2023 match...

I doubt this means anything for the match compared to prior. Remember, people still rank programs to which they never received an interview. So you're inevitably going to end up with more applicant ranks than program ranks. 

42 minutes ago, ytho said:

I doubt this means anything for the match compared to prior. Remember, people still rank programs to which they never received an interview. So you're inevitably going to end up with more applicant ranks than program ranks. 

This.  But it still makes you wonder … ~50% of ranked applicants aren’t reciprocated by programs — that’s a lot.

3 minutes ago, Neurophiliac said:

This.  But it still makes you wonder … ~50% of ranked applicants aren’t reciprocated by programs — that’s a lot.

That's an interesting point, I wonder if that number includes people selecting the "No match option" which can be up to 100 choices I've heard in people doing a couples match

1 hour ago, No Name Brand said:

For the first iteration of the 2023 R-1 match, we’re processing a total of 114,321 applicant ranks and 57,665 program ranks.

Curious how this compares to previous years and what this means for the 2023 match...

https://www.carms.ca/news/from-your-rol-to-your-match-result-3/

For the first iteration of the 2022 R-1 match, we’re processing a total of 133,027 applicant ranks and 58,745 program ranks. 

Seems actually better than last years match.

Yup and the year before it was even worse

For the first iteration of the 2021 R-1 match, we’re processing a total of 141,877 applicant ranks and 48,473 program ranks.

I think the improved ratio of program to applicant ranks represents a few factors - one of which is probably that there are less applicants in the match this year (smaller class of 2023 from many students having taken time off during COVID) and a greater number of total seats in this years match for most specialties, especially in Ontario. Optimistically I'm also suspecting that there will be greater rank list movement this year as the virtual format has meant that more applicants than ever are interviewing broadly across the country.

1 hour ago, zxcccxz said:

Yup and the year before it was even worse

For the first iteration of the 2021 R-1 match, we’re processing a total of 141,877 applicant ranks and 48,473 program ranks.

I think the improved ratio of program to applicant ranks represents a few factors - one of which is probably that there are less applicants in the match this year (smaller class of 2023 from many students having taken time off during COVID) and a greater number of total seats in this years match for most specialties, especially in Ontario. Optimistically I'm also suspecting that there will be greater rank list movement this year as the virtual format has meant that more applicants than ever are interviewing broadly across the country.

That is wild!  Makes sense to me.  Curious to see 2023 reports when they're available haha.

Anyone speculating re top 5-7 competitive specialties this year?

12 hours ago, Neurophiliac said:

That is wild!  Makes sense to me.  Curious to see 2023 reports when they're available haha.

RadOnc may jump the list this year due to dual applications from Rad applicants I've heard.

On 3/9/2023 at 4:30 PM, Samic1988 said:

The wait time is so beyond tolerable, I understand Interview period is needed, but honestly 13 days for the result doesn’t justify, they don’t do it manually, it is an application which can be done in 2 minutes and at most 1 week for verification. It is a lot of stress which I am not sure what longer term impacts would have on us

I agree it can be done faster as it is automated - although I will say they have made mistakes before (and so has the automated processes of admissions to med school and even the royal college results in various fields). They are extremely paranoid about things, plan for an extreme amount of time to check things and then seem to double that as well. Sigh...and then they still have issues from time to time on releasing the results. 

Edited by rmorelan

On 3/10/2023 at 10:19 PM, Neurophiliac said:

wouldn't be surprised if anesthesia jumped the list. whole bunch of people in my class applied to it.

6 hours ago, ytho said:

wouldn't be surprised if anesthesia jumped the list. whole bunch of people in my class applied to it.

Been hearing that a lot, but at my school I know for a fact that less people applies to Anaes than we have home seats. Wondering if the whole “crazy year for Anaes” is blown out of proportion by a few people posting on the forums and it will end up being a standard if not slightly more competitive year (last year there was a ton of chatter that optho was the most popular it’s ever been and when the match results came out it ended up being a standard year).

15 hours ago, zxcccxz said:

Been hearing that a lot, but at my school I know for a fact that less people applies to Anaes than we have home seats. Wondering if the whole “crazy year for Anaes” is blown out of proportion by a few people posting on the forums and it will end up being a standard if not slightly more competitive year (last year there was a ton of chatter that optho was the most popular it’s ever been and when the match results came out it ended up being a standard year).

It's nice to hear less people applied at your home school! A few of the anesthesia programs communicated that they received a record number of applications this year. At my school, we have 3x the number of home applicants than seats.