Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2023 - Countdown

Just now, Heisencat said:

Kinda shocked also to see so many psychiatry positions, including at U of T!!

Looks it wasn't a competitive year for psych 

I had friends that ranked these schools that did not get ranked/got their last choice. Guess they did not rank everyone.

22 minutes ago, Heisencat said:

Kinda shocked also to see so many psychiatry positions, including at U of T!!

Looks it wasn't a competitive year for psych 

Really? That's so surprising how are you able to see this? 

I had multiple schools listed ahead of where I matched, including UofT, and I applied for Psych.

How is this possible? Is there nothing I can do to address this? 

36 minutes ago, ChemPetE said:

Holy shit. 42 unfilled family medicine spots across Alberta. Unreal and not surprising one bit. 

It’s too bad because the UofA is actually a great program, and there’s a lot of advantages to practicing FM in Alberta. But the politics is killing our reputation, I don’t blame people for not wanting to come here.

2 minutes ago, BalkanRelations said:

I figured but this is just so suprising to see. I literally see entire sites that did not fill their spots at all and this is disheartening as I would love a 2nd round chance at them, this whole think makes so little sense to me now.

Just know you aren't alone. 

32 minutes ago, Naruto said:

Why are spots for derm and anesthesia available in the 2nd round? Especially in desirable areas like Ottawa? The spots are listed as "competitive" and not "CMG" so were they IMG spots that are now open to everyone? Or are the programs planning for transfers?

Yes, these were IMG spots in the first round converted to competitive spots in round 2. 

4 minutes ago, BalkanRelations said:

Then this truly seems unpreceded based on how matches have gone in the past.

I really hope there is a way to appeal to decisions like this. Otherwise, being bound to your first round ranking seems very unfair considering how much the climate seems to have changed now. 

CaRMS sucks and is truly unfair. Speaking as a current resident, I know many people (myself included) who ended up places they did not want to be, but there is no route to appeal :(  This is why they do stress not ranking places/programs you do not want

11 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

CaRMS sucks and is truly unfair. Speaking as a current resident, I know many people (myself included) who ended up places they did not want to be, but there is no route to appeal :(  This is why they do stress not ranking places/programs you do not want

Agreed, and I certainly don't dispute that this was something that was stressed to us.

But I feel that factors that we would take into account for this decision making process have changed dramatically when it seems as if all of a sudden schools shifted from filling in basically all their spots in the first round three years ago to leaving perhaps 20% of them available for the second round.  To me, this no longer seems like we are dealing with the same process that this advice was previously provided towards. 

Saying "I wouldn't be willing to train at this school" is far different than saying "I would be interested in this school provided there are not 8+ other schools with opportunities to join in the second round". But that's just my 2 cents, thank for the reply

Could someone clarify the meaning of "Competitive stream" in the list of leftover/unmatched spots for the second round? Is there any way of knowing whether these spots were CMG vs IMG spots that went unfilled in the first round? I'm very interested in particular at the unmatched U of T psychiatry position, which is typically very desirable. Wondering if they just didn't rank a whole bunch of CMGs they interviewed, or if this is perhaps a leftover IMG spot.