Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2023 - Countdown

3 hours ago, AirwayBookChair said:

It's nice to hear less people applied at your home school! A few of the anesthesia programs communicated that they received a record number of applications this year. At my school, we have 3x the number of home applicants than seats. 

Also hearing through the grape vine that OBGYN, Anes, and EM are having record numbers this year.

On 3/11/2023 at 11:12 AM, Pakoon said:

RadOnc may jump the list this year due to dual applications from Rad applicants I've heard.

Toronto social had 40 people which is about 15 people more than the total number of applicants Toronto has gotten in recent years. So I think Rad-onc will be up there due to limited spots, unfortunately for me haha.

2 hours ago, tahty said:

Starting to get nervous now. How's everyone holding up?

Not great.  I regret not backing up with FM.  I felt really confident about my app but the number of interviews told me clearly otherwise how competitive I was as an applicant.  I've speculated all the reasons, from one of my references giving a questionable letter to is it because I didn't do any COVID-frontline volunteering (I live with immunocompromised family members) and didn't provide an explanation...

I've already made up my mind to go through 2nd iteration if unmatched and hopefully look for a transfer in R1.  Despite people telling me otherwise, this really hit me hard on how valuable I perceive myself as a doctor, and human being.  I really treated medicine like a calling.  I was never the smartest pea in the pod so I made it up with hard work and discipline starting from undergrad.  I sacrificed so much, from vacations to some friendships, and even relationships.  I thought this would be all worth it in the end, because I truly loved what I got to do every day.  If I could start over I'd do this again in a heartbeat, but probably actually take the time to write that FM exam and backup with two schools for FM.

I really thought I gave it my all these four years, from preclerkship, to rotations, to pouring my heart into these statements.  I would be devastated if I could not practice in the specialty I want to (but I believe there will always be a way when there's a will, some are just more long-winded).

This has been such a rough two months.  I just want to know if I matched on Tuesday (whether I get that dreaded unmatched email from my school) and get this over with.

2 hours ago, cardio_enjoyer said:

Not great.  I regret not backing up with FM.  I felt really confident about my app but the number of interviews told me clearly otherwise how competitive I was as an applicant.  I've speculated all the reasons, from one of my references giving a questionable letter to is it because I didn't do any COVID-frontline volunteering (I live with immunocompromised family members) and didn't provide an explanation...

I've already made up my mind to go through 2nd iteration if unmatched and hopefully look for a transfer in R1.  Despite people telling me otherwise, this really hit me hard on how valuable I perceive myself as a doctor, and human being.  I really treated medicine like a calling.  I was never the smartest pea in the pod so I made it up with hard work and discipline starting from undergrad.  I sacrificed so much, from vacations to some friendships, and even relationships.  I thought this would be all worth it in the end, because I truly loved what I got to do every day.  If I could start over I'd do this again in a heartbeat, but probably actually take the time to write that FM exam and backup with two schools for FM.

I really thought I gave it my all these four years, from preclerkship, to rotations, to pouring my heart into these statements.  I would be devastated if I could not practice in the specialty I want to (but I believe there will always be a way when there's a will, some are just more long-winded).

This has been such a rough two months.  I just want to know if I matched on Tuesday (whether I get that dreaded unmatched email from my school) and get this over with.

From your username I guess you applied to cardiac surgery or Internal Medicine? If Cardiac Surgery you basically need to match to your home school, so I don't think the # of interviews matters there. For IM I heard it was pretty brutal this year for interviews. 

Any way I am also pretty anxious but I am more than OK with doing family medicine as a career so not too stressed. If you had given me a contract four years ago to sign that said if you sign here you will get into medicine and become a family doctor, I would have done it without hesitation. 

10 hours ago, anonymouspls said:

From your username I guess you applied to cardiac surgery or Internal Medicine? If Cardiac Surgery you basically need to match to your home school, so I don't think the # of interviews matters there. For IM I heard it was pretty brutal this year for interviews. 

Any way I am also pretty anxious but I am more than OK with doing family medicine as a career so not too stressed. If you had given me a contract four years ago to sign that said if you sign here you will get into medicine and become a family doctor, I would have done it without hesitation. 

IM - hoping for cardio eventually.

Thanks for sharing your mindset.  I think I've seen you around (rads applicant?), rads is so much more competitive than IM.  Yet you manage to have such a levelheaded and optimistic mindset towards the match.  I am aware that sometimes we pigeonhole ourselves into certain specialties and believe that we will be absolutely miserable if we don't get to do it, when life can have multiple roads leading to Rome. Thank you again & good luck with the match!

Nothing so far... I think I am safe?

Update: I matched!! I'm going to be an internist!! I know this isn't the biggest achievement but means the world to me as the first doctor & healthcare worker in my entire family.  Very excited to find out where I match tomorrow... Will be happy with wherever I go :)

Update 2 if anyone still reads this: matched top choice, very satisfied with this result

8 minutes ago, mountainsorbust said:

Hey! How do you know you matched?!

I believe some school's notify the applicant (if they matched or not), they just aren't able to tell the applicant where they matched. Hopefully @anonymouspls would be able to clarify.