Premed 101 Forums

Hope Box 2012!

I'll admit I'm bitter. Just don't get this system at all. MCAT 40R, GPA 3.91 before weighting, 3.99 after, great ECs, had some folks read/edit my essay and they thought it was amazing, have two decent references and one killer reference. Rejected without an interview(last week.) Really don't know how to make my app any stronger. Not meaning that to sound cocky just super discouraged after waiting so long for an answer.:mad:

If you have great ECs, has to be the essay. You are in the zone for McGill and more so if you become IP Quebec. Stay positive and persistent.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My last name starts with M, I'm in fourth year, and I have not heard back yet.

Are you serious :mad: :mad: GAAAAAAAAAAAH at least send me an email saying that review of my file is pending!

I wish! :D I'm paranoid that my application has fallen behind the filing cabinet or something... :P

seems like today only invites for march 24 were given out, so maybe there are still slots for 25th and 23rd!

plus looks like quite a few people will have to reschedule which means more!

Yea Hopefully some of us living close to the GTA may be lucky enough to get an invite for that weekend. Anyways I'm preoccupying myself with movies and TV shows now so hopefully the wait is more bearable.

ya so I guess the alphabet thing was a bad idea. Thanks to everyone who responded! I guess we will never know how they look at everyone's files.... unless one of us becomes the new Debra in the future! Keep the hope alive everyone! Only 3 more weeks left until everyone hears!

ya so I guess the alphabet thing was a bad idea. Thanks to everyone who responded! I guess we will never know how they look at everyone's files.... unless one of us becomes the new Debra in the future! Keep the hope alive everyone! Only 3 more weeks left until everyone hears!

New theory... the length of the name we submitted with OMSAS? (25 characters all together for me) :D

Personally, I love it when people post theories on who gets chosen, the interview ordering, etc. etc. because it lets me know I'm not to only crazy/paranoid person out there ;):D

I recently discovered how gif's work. Thank you hope box for continuously reminding me:

tumblr_lyb8vr7o4y1qk682c.gif

Because that is pretty much my face everytime someone posts in the invites / regrets thread!

I do not know how gif's work and Im so busy will school work and premed101 that I have no time to use google to figure it out....chuck is awesome...that is all

seems like today only invites for march 24 were given out, so maybe there are still slots for 25th and 23rd!

plus looks like quite a few people will have to reschedule which means more!

I sincerely hope you are right.

Related question - do they consider you local based on your mailing address? Reason being - I am in Ottawa for school but I put my home in the GTA as my mailing address so I wouldn't have to worry about mail since there is always someone there at home.

Thanks! Fingers crossed!!!!

First of all, this is my theory on how they award invites and rejections:

Next, in regards to your response to my freakout, Demanda -

At last it's my turn to pull someone outta the hopeless hole....

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to help out another crazed applicant. Congrats on your invite today. Since you're a PhD applicant, I expected you'd get it sooner or later this month.

I, on the other hand, am a lowly 4th year undergrad with no special outstanding transformative experience inspiring me toward medicine; I'm no varsity athlete; I can't play any instruments; I don't have any publications; I'm not the most social university student. I have a good GPA and MCAT, with extracurriculars that I enjoyed doing, but I'm nothing like these superstar applicants. To get that good GPA, I pretty much sold my soul and have been angry or sad for most of undergrad (U of T, St. George - worst decision of my life).

I'm fortunate enough to have interviewed at two schools, but I don't have a good feeling about either.

Part of the reason I feel so disenchanted is that my cousin ****ed around in a fine arts undergrad, went to live in Europe for a year, wrote the MCAT and was accepted to Schulich medicine off the waitlist. Like many of you, I've been busting my @ss for a little short of 4 years now and am now convinced I'm not good enough to pursue my dream.

Trying to think up new theories (an awesome pastime)... any ideas?

The number of letters in the applicant's name is multiplied by the number of items in the ABS and divided by the cube of the GPA? The resulting numerical values are then arranged in descending order.........

demon3d0.gif

haha

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to help out another crazed applicant. Congrats on your invite today. Since you're a PhD applicant, I expected you'd get it sooner or later this month.

I, on the other hand, am a lowly 4th year undergrad with no special outstanding transformative experience inspiring me toward medicine; I'm no varsity athlete; I can't play any instruments; I don't have any publications; I'm not the most social university student. I have a good GPA and MCAT, with extracurriculars that I enjoyed doing, but I'm nothing like these superstar applicants. To get that good GPA, I pretty much sold my soul and have been angry or sad for most of undergrad (U of T, St. George - worst decision of my life).

I'm fortunate enough to have interviewed at two schools, but I don't have a good feeling about either.

Part of the reason I feel so disenchanted is that my cousin ****ed around in a fine arts undergrad, went to live in Europe for a year, wrote the MCAT and was accepted to Schulich medicine off the waitlist. Like many of you, I've been busting my @ss for a little short of 4 years now and am now convinced I'm not good enough to pursue my dream.

Every time I feel like this i just remember my fav line off scrubs "nothing in this world worth having comes easy". Do not apply this to your cousin b/c it appears it did come easy for him/her!...just remember it will worth it in the end when you are a doctor!

I'm not coming up with crazy theories I swear! However I do enjoy all of your theories about name length :) I found the blog post where Deborah said how she goes through the applications. This post was on February 28:

MD: I was just curious as to what order U of T reviews its applicants like date of OMSAS submissions, last name, or whatever standard it is. Thanks!

utmedadmissions: We just work through them as they come. I guess it’s a combination of when we receive the complete application from OMSAS and the alphabet. But really, when you have this many to go through it doesn’t matter where you start, so long as you get to everyone (which we do).

Hey guys, I just wanted to add some encouragement to the hopeboxers out there! I received an interview invite yesterday, so I know how excruciating the wait is. The email actually went to my uwo spamtrap first. So even though I had added Leslie Taylor to my outlook express contacts Western's server flagged her email first and held it until this morning when I was notified of the mail I had sitting in my spamtrap.

Goodluck everyone, this process is far from over yet!

Hello,

Sorry for my late reply but I've been bedridden due to a horrible stomach flu, yikes.

I just wanted to say I completely understand your frustration. I went to UTM and maintained a high GPA sacrificing a lot over four years. I remember I had applied to medical school in my third year only to get rejected pre interview from EVERYWHERE!!!. Then, I just decided I wanted to see what else the world has to offer, so I took a course learn how to teach English to foreigners and I came to Europe. I was convinced I would have found a dream job and life and medicine would have been a thing of the past. But after a year I couldn't take it anymore...I missed science and so I enrolled in a PhD program in medicine in a hospital (goes to show the instinct sticks right in there, huh?). In that way I explored medicine in my everyday life so to speak, and it simply convinced me my original wish was the correct one for me. So I went and did the MCAT, again. Only this time I had to fly to England to do it, plus I was broke so I had to study alone (i.e. struggle with freaken verbal reasoning ALONE....which for me was like the worst experience ever I hated it!!!!).

Anyways...the moral of the story is that once upon a time I felt like the "lowly 4th year undergrad" you describe, only I really had NO interviews at all. I went through a PhD and a postdoc year only to precipitate back to the decision to do medicine. Therefore, if I get into med school this year I'll be among the older applicants (I'm 28 by the way, not a grandma but old enough). You, on the other hand, also have AGE on your side.

I hope my little story helps you out with you personal struggle a bit. This, by the way, is a reader's digest version of it all...it actually gets more complicated hahahaha.

~2 weeks, or less, remain until all of us find out. I am more nervous now than I was in Jan/Feb as there's only two interview dates remaining. Sure we are told those who are deemed worthy should get an invite regardless of external factors like probability/spots remaining, but still...

WANT TO KNOW NOWWW

My glass ball is predicting more e-mails on Friday

I'm thinking earlier but it will be rejections since the last wave was invites :( My glass is looking half empty now.. seeing that a good 40+ are always viewing each day that means there are quite a bit of students still waiting to hear back..

Archived