Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

It's all relative though. I was constantly amazed by my classmates who balanced med school and their families/had kids in med school!

Everyone always thinks having kids in med is hard but I have found it to make things easier. I had my first before being accepted and my second between 2nd and 3rd year. You have to stay focused and plan ahead. On the upside you have built in breaks during studying you can't say "no" too and you are miles ahead during clerkship on peds and on real world experience.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone always thinks having kids in med is hard but I have found it to make things easier. I had my first before being accepted and my second between 2nd and 3rd year. You have to stay focused and plan ahead. On the upside you have built in breaks during studying you can't say "no" too and you are miles ahead during clerkship on peds and on real world experience.

It really depends. You were fortunate to have yours at times where there are breaks. Some people try to plan, but it doesn't always work. Imagine having 2 kids in clerkship, while your partner lives/works in another city, and still graduate with your original class/not take time off. I would not say that was easy.

It really depends. You were fortunate to have yours at times where there are breaks. Some people try to plan, but it doesn't always work. Imagine having 2 kids in clerkship, while your partner lives/works in another city, and still graduate with your original class/not take time off. I would not say that was easy.

I think what FreshFry meant was that children force you to take breaks from studying so it keeps you from being too absorbed. :) It's true. My daughter coming in and closing my textbooks and handing me Harry Potter is a fantastic break my mind usually needs from the work.

I expect paeds and OB rotations will be fun since I've already seen all the usual stuff and a fair bit of the unusual thanks to my and my kids' histories. I've heard such a wide variety of things from other parenting med students from "don't say anything about your kids" to "your kids are a fantastic asset as a student" so it'll be interesting to see how it all works out.

If someone told you that they would give you $1,000 if you could pick up a swan and hold it for 5 seconds, would you do it?

Swans are freaking mean! But yes. I've held a swan for free because it needed help. That's how I learned they're mean!

Swans are freaking mean! But yes. I've held a swan for free because it needed help. That's how I learned they're mean!

I had a prof in undergrad who could not stop talking about how mean and aggressive swans were. He was pretty adamant about hunting them, and how important it was that this be allowed (for over population reasons, and also I think he had a thing about them bullying the other waterfowl). 

You touch on the two concerns here. Your swan needed help. Should you pick up a wild animal just because? I wouldn't want to give a swan PTSD or something.  Also, I wouldn't want my eyes pecked out or anything, I need those for seeing, lol. But from looking online, it looks pretty simple if you do it right. People pick them up all the time to rescue them, or to tag them for science. 

I had a prof in undergrad who could not stop talking about how mean and aggressive swans were. He was pretty adamant about hunting them, and how important it was that this be allowed (for over population reasons, and also I think he had a thing about them bullying the other waterfowl). 

You touch on the two concerns here. Your swan needed help. Should you pick up a wild animal just because? I wouldn't want to give a swan PTSD or something.  Also, I wouldn't want my eyes pecked out or anything, I need those for seeing, lol. But from looking online, it looks pretty simple if you do it right. People pick them up all the time to rescue them, or to tag them for science.

I would not describe it as "simple" to pick up a swan, particularly a feral or semi-feral one.

One should never pick up a wild animal unless there's no other option. It's really only acceptable if life saving or necessary for research or safety sake and every effort should be made to ensure the animal endures as little stress as possible.

Swans may be jerks (they really are just feathered spite on legs) but it doesn't make it acceptable to harass them needlessly.

I would not describe it as "simple" to pick up a swan, particularly a feral or semi-feral one.

One should never pick up a wild animal unless there's no other option. It's really only acceptable if life saving or necessary for research or safety sake and every effort should be made to ensure the animal endures as little stress as possible.

Swans may be jerks (they really are just feathered spite on legs) but it doesn't make it acceptable to harass them needlessly.

Yes, I totally agree that it would be mean. But the question got me thinking, because people needlessly harass animals all the time. Catch and release fishing for example. 

And yes, lol, not simple. Just minimally risky with the right technique. 

Falling, there are lots of swans around Toronto! 

Turkeys on the other hand, you would need to venture out of the city. I would love to see some wild turkeys!

Yes, I totally agree that it would be mean. But the question got me thinking, because people needlessly harass animals all the time. Catch and release fishing for example. 

And yes, lol, not simple. Just minimally risky with the right technique. 

Falling, there are lots of swans around Toronto! 

Turkeys on the other hand, you would need to venture out of the city. I would love to see some wild turkeys!

I've never met a turkey that wasn't as dumb as a bag of hammers. They are the exact opposite of ravens on the continuum of avian intelligence. My username isn't chosen randomly; I'm big on birds. I used to do avian rescue and have done some mammalian wildlife rehab too.

I'm annoyed by anyone needlessly harassing wildlife. That people do it doesn't make me like it any more. I suppose I should qualify that I'm not terribly bothered by mildly harassing invertebrates.

I've never met a turkey that wasn't as dumb as a bag of hammers. They are the exact opposite of ravens on the continuum of avian intelligence. My username isn't chosen randomly; I'm big on birds. I used to do avian rescue and have done some mammalian wildlife rehab too.

I'm annoyed by anyone needlessly harassing wildlife. That people do it doesn't make me like it any more. I suppose I should qualify that I'm not terribly bothered by mildly harassing invertebrates.

One of my friends is obsessed with birds too. LOL your description of turkeys made me laugh. 

Have you been to Point Pelee? Are you going to be checking places out around Ontario when you move here? 

I actually saw an owl yesterday in the suburbs, about an hour from downtown Toronto. 

As a turkey I find this conversation very offensive

Speaking of picking up a bird, I think I recall people plotting to pick you up on that Mac med dating Q thread. You better be careful when you get to Hamilton Turkey!

I've never really liked birds...

Hipster. 

One of my friends is obsessed with birds too. LOL your description of turkeys made me laugh. 

Have you been to Point Pelee? Are you going to be checking places out around Ontario when you move here? 

I actually saw an owl yesterday in the suburbs, about an hour from downtown Toronto. 

I haven't been to Point Pelee, but it's on the "long weekends" list. We do plan to go checking things out once we get settled. Probably do some camping before the summer's out.

We've decided that we're definitely going to the Toronto Zoo. My son has been, but my daughter never has. We want to scope out green areas around Hamilton since we're quite used to spending a lot of time in the woods. Need to find some good hiking and picnic areas. Once we're unpacked anyway.

People are having a go at Lebron without considering the team he had in that series. I notice that Lebron James is one of those athletes that people dislike more than they like their own team. It is strange. You get that with the other 2 top athletes in world sports, Messi and Ronaldo. There are people that absolutely hate them. Never quite understood why. 

People are having a go at Lebron without considering the team he had in that series. I notice that Lebron James is one of those athletes that people dislike more than they like their own team. It is strange. You get that with the other 2 top athletes in world sports, Messi and Ronaldo. There are people that absolutely hate them. Never quite understood why. 

The team he had in this series? You mean the injuries? Here is how I see it. If you want to stack all-star players, then you better be prepared for injuries. Fair trade.

Archived