Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

Yeah, turns out my worst quiz mark will be dropped too (I think there's only like 4 or 5 quizzes.) So it's not devastating for my marks, but it is devastating for my understanding of genetics because I really thought I got around 90 percent on the quiz. Anyways I guess we will see what happens.

Also sucks that I have another quiz on Monday and I only emailed the TA today so they might not get back to me before the next quiz and I could make the same mistakes......

maybe khan academy will save me for the next quiz? that or doing some research online as well as triple checking the textbook.

If this is a second year/intro type genetics course, I think the best bet is doing a lot of practice problems. I'm assuming you have to find probabilities for certain genotypes/phenotypes, linkage maps, three point test cross etc.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is a second year/intro type genetics course, I think the best bet is doing a lot of practice problems. I'm assuming you have to find probabilities for certain genotypes/phenotypes, linkage maps, three point test cross etc.

We are given a lot of practice problems but we were not given a key....really annoying.

Guess I could try to find some online questions with answers online though.

Protip: professors are lazy. They will use questions from some bank somewhere on the internet. Try googling some of the questions and you may find a bank that is full of them.

Yeah my prof is definitely lazy. She told us she hasn't even looked at the textbook yet. They do come out with a new textbook every year for this course, but still I mean cmon? It probably wouldn't take very long if you knew most of it.

This really gives me a lot of hope. I'm a lot more optimistic about either a) finding solutions to the problems we were given, or b ) finding solutions to future testable questions (either questions in modified form or the whole things themselves!)

Thanks a lot Falling!!!

no, 121. just the genetics section of the course.

Oh...just forewarning - if you think 121 is hard, that only covers a tiny part of the basics of genetics... 

As for practice problems - do them, and only after you actually try to solve them look at a key. In your case, you said your not given a key - you can easily find LOADS of practice problems with keys online for UBC BIOl 121.

As for the teacher being lazy and not looking at the textbook, why is that relevant? I'm guessing your prof is probably Pamela or Celeste? They are both excellent professors. It's not their job to look at the textbook - it's their job to introduce the material, and its your job to reinforce with relevant supplementation that you see fit. TBH, you don't need to even look at most textbooks for 100 level and 200 level Biol courses, all the topics are readily covered in depth online with a quick search with reference to your powerpoints and learning objectives. 

Definitely seek out help from your TA's if you need help.

P.s. If it is Celeste or Pamela - don't expect them to just pull questions from a textbook question bank, they definitely have a lot of experience making questions, and may refurbish some, but otherwise they will create questions that make sure you actually understand the material -not simply saw a similar problem and recalled the method of solving it.

Oh...just forewarning - if you think 121 is hard, that only covers a tiny part of the basics of genetics... 

As for practice problems - do them, and only after you actually try to solve them look at a key. In your case, you said your not given a key - you can easily find LOADS of practice problems with keys online for UBC BIOl 121.

As for the teacher being lazy and not looking at the textbook, why is that relevant? I'm guessing your prof is probably Pamela or Celeste? They are both excellent professors. It's not their job to look at the textbook - it's their job to introduce the material, and its your job to reinforce with relevant supplementation that you see fit. TBH, you don't need to even look at most textbooks for 100 level and 200 level Biol courses, all the topics are readily covered in depth online with a quick search with reference to your powerpoints and learning objectives. 

Definitely seek out help from your TA's if you need help.

P.s. If it is Celeste or Pamela - don't expect them to just pull questions from a textbook question bank, they definitely have a lot of experience making questions, and may refurbish some, but otherwise they will create questions that make sure you actually understand the material -not simply saw a similar problem and recalled the method of solving it.

In your 2nd paragraph you mentioned loads of UBC biol 121 practice problems with keys....sorry I'm kind of confused, what are you referring to here? A website like oneclass or coursehero or notebro? Or are they posted on a UBC website somewhere? Or do you just mean to like google questions based on the material, for example genetics questions search in google....not necessarily with an affliation with UBC Biol 121 specifically? Sorry, I don't usually look online for questions/answers as I haven't taken a class like that in a long time, and don't have much experience with online and UBC resources etiher.

I'm finding Celeste to be really annoying. Did you have her in science one? If so, she might act differently with her science one students....I just really don't like her....rubs me the wrong way as a person, kind of condescending.

Could you PM me about where the practice question keys are if you dont want to post on here? Although it'd be nice to help out anyone who also ever takes biol 121 too and looks at this.

In your 2nd paragraph you mentioned loads of UBC biol 121 practice problems with keys....sorry I'm kind of confused, what are you referring to here? A website like oneclass or coursehero or notebro? Or are they posted on a UBC website somewhere? Or do you just mean to like google questions based on the material, for example genetics questions search in google....not necessarily with an affliation with UBC Biol 121 specifically? Sorry, I don't usually look online for questions/answers as I haven't taken a class like that in a long time, and don't have much experience with online and UBC resources etiher.

I'm finding Celeste to be really annoying. Did you have her in science one? If so, she might act differently with her science one students....I just really don't like her....rubs me the wrong way as a person, kind of condescending.

Could you PM me about where the practice question keys are if you dont want to post on here?

For practice questions, i mean there are plenty of posted material from UBC BIOl 121 specifically online, and yes on some websites that you mentioned, and past WEBCT like sites. Also Prep 101 has a booklet for 121 etc. 

And yes, you could alternatively look at most 100 level introductory biology classes at other universities for relevant practice material too. 

Well, the good news is - you don't have to like her, or any of your professors for that matter. IF you don't find lecture useful, no one is forcing you to go - or if you are indirectly(clickers or participation), simply show up and do your own work towards the material.

Good luck!  

For practice questions, i mean there are plenty of posted material from UBC BIOl 121 specifically online, and yes on some websites that you mentioned, and past WEBCT like sites. Also Prep 101 has a booklet for 121 etc. 

And yes, you could alternatively look at most 100 level introductory biology classes at other universities for relevant practice material too. 

Well, the good news is - you don't have to like her, or any of your professors for that matter. IF you don't find lecture useful, no one is forcing you to go - or if you are indirectly(clickers or participation), simply show up and do your own work towards the material.

Good luck!  

Sorry I might be missing something or am really dulll.....but what do you mean by past webct like sites? I know you are talking about online platforms like connect and blackboard....but I can't get access to those for past courses can I? Just tried a couple searches that lead nowhere and I don't really have a clear idea of where to find these "past webct like sites"?

If you could point me in the right direction, I would be forever indebted to you.

Good luck!  

Also prep101 seems to have stuff for biol 112 not 121...is that what you meant?

http://www.prep101.com/free.php?school=13

You guys call your profs by their first names? Is that a West Coast thing?

I'm pretty sure that is not common in Ontario.

Even seven years after graduation I STILL don't address my old profs by their first name!

And it's kind of funny when you think about because I work in a field where I address virtually everyone by their first name and vice versa.

Plenty of students at my school (former school now, I suppose) refer to professors by their first names. I do not. It's ether Doctor or Professor Lastname. I don't even call them by just their last name the way many other students do.

Military family habits, hah.

Even seven years after graduation I STILL don't address my old profs by their first name!

And it's kind of funny when you think about because I work in a field where I address virtually everyone by their first name and vice versa.

Depends on the prof and how well you know them.  This particular prof is part of a small first year program and tends to add her students on fb.

The majority of my profs I would never call by their first name.

I was on first-name basis with a number of profs in my department (geography), especially after travelling in the Yukon for five weeks with my thesis advisor. But I was also on the faculty council for three years, so had plenty of outside-class interactions.

I watch Korean dramas (judge me lol) and the second lead syndrome is too much to bear rn. 

Plenty of students at my school (former school now, I suppose) refer to professors by their first names. I do not. It's ether Doctor or Professor Lastname. I don't even call them by just their last name the way many other students do.

Military family habits, hah.

I'm the same. But for myself, it's an issue of culture. My friend's parents would always ask me to call them by their first names and I was invariably utterly incapable of doing so XD

I called every prof by their first name during my undergrad

Depends on the prof and how well you know them.  This particular prof is part of a small first year program and tends to add her students on fb.

The majority of my profs I would never call by their first name.

So in this case it is a prof who likes to be more casual.

It's interesting, because like ppl have noted, it becomes more normal to be on first names when you work closely, but there are also habits. I also feel weird addressing my childhood friend's parents by first names, but at this point it's also weird to keep calling them Mr or Mrs.

I'm only addressed as Ms. Fetch in very formal situations, or in an initial email/letter, or of course when someone is angry at me. Other than this I insist on being called by my first name.

If I were teaching though, I think I would insist on Professor Fetch. I guess certain situations call for it and I'm not sure exactly why. It's one of those cases where I get a feeling of what it should be and any attempt to explain it would just be to back up the feeling .:P.

Archived