Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is a day of victory. If you guys haven't heard the news, the US Supreme Court voted in about of marriage equality. I hoped I would see this day before much longer. :)

My favourite part is reading the comments from upset Americans saying they're going to move to Canada. That's cool; welcome to Canada where there's been marriage equality since 2005...

My favourite part is reading the comments from upset Americans saying they're going to move to Canada. That's cool; welcome to Canada where there's been marriage equality since 2005...

I was reading a buzzfeed article about those tweets and someone in the comments claimed that posting those tweets was bullying and 'victim blaming' haha. Some people.

Feeling completely overwhelmed right now. I was planning to write the MCAT and apply to med for the upcoming cycle. It's so easy to plan to and say I'm going to apply, but now knowing that if all goes to plan I will have to submit my application in a couple of months I just feel super anxious and not ready. I'm not even referring to the possibility of getting rejected--just the thought of submitting an application, contacting reference and verifiers, etc. I mean this is what I've worked for for the last few years--going back to school to do a second degree, fighting for every 90 I can get--but now I just thinking about applying makes me want to crawl into a corner and hide :(

oh, and MCAT studying is not going well. I am so behind :( feeling like maybe I'm just not cut out for this and should just stop wasting my time

Feeling completely overwhelmed right now. I was planning to write the MCAT and apply to med for the upcoming cycle. It's so easy to plan to and say I'm going to apply, but now knowing that if all goes to plan I will have to submit my application in a couple of months I just feel super anxious and not ready. I'm not even referring to the possibility of getting rejected--just the thought of submitting an application, contacting reference and verifiers, etc. I mean this is what I've worked for for the last few years--going back to school to do a second degree, fighting for every 90 I can get--but now I just thinking about applying makes me want to crawl into a corner and hide :(

oh, and MCAT studying is not going well. I am so behind :( feeling like maybe I'm just not cut out for this and should just stop wasting my time

You are not alone! This is basically how I feel about my life and my job about 90 percent of the time.

I think that the secret lies in learning how to talk to yourself. You have probably done things similar to this before lots of times, remind yourself of that!

When it comes to reaching out to references etc, I get it, I need to do similar and worse in my job and I still struggle. One trick I use is to compose emails that need to be sent and to tell myself I am writing them to be sent next week. Once the email is written, the work is done! But telling myself that I am just writing it for next week takes the nerves out of it.

I also need to make phone calls sometimes that I do not want to. I remind myself that I will feel better if I just do it now, and also, the call is always less stressful than my imagination. Both things that are true but easy to forget!

You can do it! Just remember that you're not alone. Many people are currently feeling the same way. Tons of us have felt this way and made it through.

Take the process in little steps. Easier said than done, but focus on the short term goals right now. If needed, take a break from the application mentality (this also means taking a break from the forums for a few days!). You've made it through other challenges, and you can make it through this one too.

I'm not sure how it works, but I'm sure some states will appeal this. Kind of sucks but hopefully the ruling will uphold nonetheless.

States have nowhere to appeal to. The highest court in the country already ruled and that ruling applies everywhere. Any judge that allowed such an appeal would get struck down so fast it'd make their head spin. This is an unqualified, unbreakable win for the LGBT community in the US.

^ This question best belongs in the Residencies Forum to receive an answer. I am starting my residency and would never consider moonlighting, it will be rough enough already. And should I become short of money, which I doubt, that is what the LOC is for. 

search for restricted licensing and you will get some more information :)

I would say even more important than that is reputation. Search her name online and see all the comments. It would surely be hard to find a job after this. Money is just money, but reputation is forever in this case.

She resigned from her job. I think her career is over.

yeah the real punishment in medicine is reputational hits. You aren't even fired as you aren't hired in the first place (your privileges are just not renewed), and you just fade away......

I felt the exact same way last year as applications approached. It's a lot to do, a lot of paperwork and confirming and whatnot. But you'll get through it and you'll feel better once you click that submit button. Then the horrible waiting starts, hah, but it's not as bad as the nerves beforehand.

States have nowhere to appeal to. The highest court in the country already ruled and that ruling applies everywhere. Any judge that allowed such an appeal would get struck down so fast it'd make their head spin. This is an unqualified, unbreakable win for the LGBT community in the US.

Oh ok so the court that ruled on the gay marriage was the Supreme Court? After they make a decision there are no appeals after that? I didn't know that. Interesting, good to know, and thanks!

Oh ok so the court that ruled on the gay marriage was the Supreme Court? After they make a decision there are no appeals after that? I didn't know that. Interesting, good to know, and thanks!

I think that the US Supreme Court is like ours, in that the only way to ever revisit a ruling on a constitutional issue, would be for the court to reverse its own decision. For all practical purposes, you can consider it written in stone. :) 

Archived