Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://wapo.st/1Crp6bY

I know ORs and procedure rooms aren't always serious and the conversations aren't ultra-professional but this article is pretty surprising. I hope this is a rare occurrence. Thoughts?

A Queen's urologist wrote an interesting blog about this from a surgeon. http://www.bjuinternational.com/bjui-blog/while-you-slept-bad-behaviour-and-recording-in-the-operating-room/

Unfortunately, comments are not infrequently made about the patient in the OR. While there may be a cultural component, I've personally found that it has more to do with individual doctors making the comments, rather than a general mindset.

http://wapo.st/1Crp6bY

I know ORs and procedure rooms aren't always serious and the conversations aren't ultra-professional but this article is pretty surprising. I hope this is a rare occurrence. Thoughts?

Unfortunately I don't think this is rare. There was a Canadian article a while back about what doctors call their patients. My here were some really sad, unprofessional terms used. :( It made it clear that doctors really think poorly of their patients in some circumstances, and perpetuate stereotypes.

Here one of the articles:

http://news.nationalpost.com/health/the-secret-slang-of-hospitals-what-doctors-nurses-call-patients-behind-their-backs

That would be the most boring parade ever. lol.

could just be you know...a regular parade :) Those can be fun.

One of the interesting things I guess of being "outside of a norm" and going with that is probably the freedom to be outside of all kinds of other norms as well. Which is probably way there is a tendency be more interesting, ha. Boring is simply conforming to every sort of vanilla norm that is out there.

Unfortunately I don't think this is rare. There was a Canadian article a while back about what doctors call their patients. My here were some really sad, unprofessional terms used. :( It made it clear that doctors really think poorly of their patients in some circumstances, and perpetuate stereotypes.

Here one of the articles:

http://news.nationalpost.com/health/the-secret-slang-of-hospitals-what-doctors-nurses-call-patients-behind-their-backs

or are not really upset with the patient at all, but rather instead don't like their working conditions, or hours, or when you get down to it their jobs ..... and just vent on the patients as the cause. It is stupid, horrible, and incredibly unprofessional but yet still happens.

Just saw someone on my FB feed argue that there should be a straight pride parade. 

I should have been an ecologist...

I found an interesting blog on this:

http://www.everydaysociologyblog.com/2011/06/why-cant-we-have-a-straight-pride-parade.html

I assume that people that suggest having a straight pride parade don't understand the struggles that the gay community has faced. I actually know people (more than one which is sad) that have been kicked out of their house for being gay. One person doesn't even know where her parents live now. I even know someone that was told to find a new doctor after she came out to her family physician. 

I have to admit though that I got a laugh out of Americans that were going to "move to Canada" because they were disgusted with the US supreme court ruling. Perhaps they should do some research first.  ;)

Alberta was one of the last hold-outs as same sex marriage became legal in most places in Canada before it was legal across the country due to court decisions made in those provinces. It was actually embarrassing here in Alberta as Ralph Klein (premier at the time) was threatening to use the notwithstanding-clause to try and prevent it.

Here one of the articles:http://news.nationalpost.com/health/the-secret-slang-of-hospitals-what-doctors-nurses-call-patients-behind-their-backs

I've heard of family doctors called referologists.

I'm reading Dr Goldman's recent book right now and while I'm not big on the tone (it comes across as somewhat preachy) I can't say I've read anything in there yet that I was unfamiliar with already.

Also, I think there is a difference between the slang//argot that Dr Goldman talks about in his book and the very, very disparaging comments and falsification of medical records by the anaesthesiologist who was sued.

I've heard of family doctors called referologists.

I'm reading Dr Goldman's recent book right now and while I'm not big on the tone (it comes across as somewhat preachy) I can't say I've read anything in there yet that I was unfamiliar with already.

Also, I think there is a difference between the slang//argot that Dr Goldman talks about in his book and the very, very disparaging comments and falsification of medical records by the anaesthesiologist who was sued.

You don't think calling patients "cockroaches" behind their backs is just as disparaging? Obviously falsifying records is a whole other problem, but I think the language Dr Goldman describes is just as troubling as the language used by the anaesthesiologist.

You don't think calling patients "cockroaches" behind their backs is just as disparaging? Obviously falsifying records is a whole other problem, but I think the language Dr Goldman describes is just as troubling as the language used by the anaesthesiologist.

I haven't come across that one in the book yet, and I was referring more to the book than the article. Obviously some of the language needs to change, and while I think there is a difference between the medical slang Dr Goldman describes and the anaesthesiologist's cruel remarks about the patient, I do think both are unprofessional. The anaesthesiologist was talking about wanting to physically harm the patient and was joking that he had various illnesses. I do think that's different from using slang to communicate to a coworker that a patient is particularly needy or tends to exaggerate (though, again, many slang terms used are themselves unprofessional.)

The Greeks will tell the IMF they're defaulting by the end of today.

Cons: If you have money in Athenian banks, the state isn't letting you withdraw more than a set amount. Anyone holding the euro currency will see its modest devaluation, prices in Greece will increase, a lot, quickly.

Pros: The state of Greece has just saved themselves hundreds of billions of dollars in debt and austerity measure costs.

What am I missing here? Besides the increased cost of borrowing..

Not sure if they are actually saving themselves hundreds of billions of dollars in debt. The creditors have a right to ask for their money back and some may not hesitate to gut Greece to do it. 

More cons of the system would be the unleashing a great amount of economic instability (^ monopoly money indeed), and a great exodus from Greece to the rest of Europe.  Those who can leave are more likely those from the wealthier and well educated groups, making it harder for the country to recover.

Honestly I don't know enough about economics to truly discuss what the best course of action may be.

I'm no economist either, just an observer. However, they will certainly save themselves the debt if they simply default. The case to make is to argue that the combined costs of defaulting outweigh the debt. As far as I can tell, the only recourse of creditors would be to lobby for policy changes in their own state or union. These in turn would impact Greece only so far as Athens would allow (and thus increasing the cost of the default.)

I spoke too soon, they're asking for a third bailout, lol...

you can be quickly locked out of the international markets. Even if they default - they still aren't in a revenue positive situation, so they default and tomorrow what? the government breaks down completely?

In some cases governments can respond by taking any property owned by any Greek business or person in order to recoup the loss as well. That basically would completely isolate Greece to its borders (you stole our property so we will take yours). Then they would be removed from the union, and the euro. More isolation. Where does it end? Until the country is ground in to the dust?

Balanced approach would be nice - you cannot borrow a ton of money and not pay it back but paying it back shouldn't destroy you as a country either.

These are not tenable statements.

There's no lever and no incentive for locking Greek firms out of international trade. If it's profitable, people will continue to trade.

Most creditors live in states where taking the property of Greek businesses wouldn't stand up in court. I'm half English, would you try to take my property if England owed you money? It's absurd.

Leaving the Euro is not demonstrably bad and it probably doesn't follow that the country will be ground into dust lol... What?

These are the right questions:

"They still aren't in a revenue positive situation, so they default and tomorrow what? the government breaks down completely?"

ha - other countries have done this in the past actually. I am not saying they would, or that is the end point - but someone was asking how far this could go. Seized foreign owned property in one logical route to recover debit.  I am not claiming the entire country will be blasted to the stone ages if it left the union :) that is more than a little dramatic. I am saying things can get bad though (and they already aren't great).

still - ok so they leave the Euro - and means they are back to their own currency of course, which floats on the international market like all the other ones. How valuable would that currency be do you think? How stable is it? What is the likelihood of inflation (considering in a pinch creating currency is the default central bank tool to manage liquidity issues). There issues dealing with with international trade when in order to trade with them you have to do some form of currency exchange. It is a big reason as to why the Euro was created in the first place - reduction in trade barriers.

Aha, cool, that's the stuff I was looking for. Pretty sure they will go this route and deal with the inflation (as did Argentina and Zimbabwe.) And I wonder if in the long run it wouldn't be the smarter play.

printing money to pay for things is just another tax in disguise. Basically it is a tax on anyone that has currency.

Seized foreign owned property in one logical route to recover debit.  I am not claiming the entire country will be blasted to the stone ages if it left the union :) that is more than a little dramatic. I am saying things can get bad though (and they already aren't great).

still - ok so they leave the Euro - and means they are back to their own currency of course, which floats on the international market like all the other ones. How valuable would that currency be do you think? How stable is it?

Absolutely. International arbitration against States in the billions is a BIG business. It may or may not be difficult to enforce. This is where the experts come in to buy the debt for pennies on the dollar, and then they go after the State all around the world, wherever they are vulnerable. Greece is about to go lower than the Democratic Republic of the Congo. And they'd better thing again if they believe they can simply walk away from their debt. 

Archived