Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is hard for me to hate on someone that great at something. I dislike basketball, but I watched the finals just to see if he could win it on his own (more or less). 

It's pretty easy however, to hate on people who are super obnoxious about being great at something. :P 

Just my opinion though! 

Just found out one of my best friends has a father who is on the spectrum for schizophrenia and refused treatment for religious reasons. In 2nd year, she was always on the verge of being kicked out into a homeless shelter because her father was delusional/extremely misunderstanding of her life. She had to stay because she had no money to get her own place.

Life can suck sometimes. I'm really glad she shared with me

Just found out one of my best friends has a father who is on the spectrum for schizophrenia and refused treatment for religious reasons. In 2nd year, she was always on the verge of being kicked out into a homeless shelter because her father was delusional/extremely misunderstanding of her life. She had to stay because she had no money to get her own place.

Life can suck sometimes. I'm really glad she shared with me

That really sucks....

There are religious reasons to refuse treatment for mental health problems? Remind me not to join said religion. :(

It's pretty easy however, to hate on people who are super obnoxious about being great at something. :P

Just my opinion though! 

I find that most great athletes are a little obnoxious lol. Anyways, more important stuff: 

This Charleston shooting is so terrible. The shooter apparently said "You rape our women and are taking over our country & you have to go" before shooting and killing 9 (?) at a historic African church. 

That really sucks....

There are religious reasons to refuse treatment for mental health problems? Remind me not to join said religion. :(

Off the top of my head... Scientology (arguable whether it's a religion, but they actually believe psychiatrists are evil. Seriously. Psychiatrists are the 'bad guys' in their mythology) Christian Scientists, I believe Seventh Day Adventists, a number of Pentecostal and other fundamentalist Protestant/Protestant-ish sects, FLDS, some regular LDS groups, I've heard of Hasidic Jewish people who refuse psychiatric medical care as well. There are a surprisingly large number of religious/spiritual paths which reject all or part of real medicine.

Off the top of my head... Scientology (arguable whether it's a religion, but they actually believe psychiatrists are evil. Seriously. Psychiatrists are the 'bad guys' in their mythology) Christian Scientists, I believe Seventh Day Adventists, a number of Pentecostal and other fundamentalist Protestant/Protestant-ish sects, FLDS, some regular LDS groups, I've heard of Hasidic Jewish people who refuse psychiatric medical care as well. There are a surprisingly large number of religious/spiritual paths which reject all or part of real medicine.

I worked at a Seventh Day Adventist run business one summer. Every once and a while a customer would start saying some crazy crazy stuff to me, assuming I was a member because I worked there (most of the workers were not members, its not a big enough group to not hire outsiders). 

I think that this religion in particular has predicted the date of the apocalypse a few times and then see that time pass.

I have heard of people making short sighted medical decisions based on their belief that the world is ending soon. In fact, some people make ALL of their decisions under this assumption! Things like not bothering to get an education or a career because the world is ending soon anyways. Kind of mind blowing to think about. 

Does this surprise you? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXgV4V5o-Zs

Huh. Who knew.

^ This question best belongs in the Residencies Forum to receive an answer. I am starting my residency and would never consider moonlighting, it will be rough enough already. And should I become short of money, which I doubt, that is what the LOC is for. 

^ This question best belongs in the Residencies Forum to receive an answer. I am starting my residency and would never consider moonlighting, it will be rough enough already. And should I become short of money, which I doubt, that is what the LOC is for. 

Your school's postgrad should have a policy on it. Google search school's name, resident, and moonlighting.

Thank you! 

CNN just reported a $500,000 judgement in USA against a doctor who mocked a patient during the operation. The patient's cell phone was on, recording these untoward comments, in a plastic bag under the operating table. 

500 thousand is a little much, but this makes me so happy. Read the details http://gawker.com/man-records-anesthesiologist-mocking-his-dick-during-su-1713698192

500 thousand is a little much, but this makes me so happy. Read the details http://gawker.com/man-records-anesthesiologist-mocking-his-dick-during-su-1713698192

It is a little bit much, par for the course for the U.S. though. They just award a lot for everything. 

It doesn't really make a difference for the physician one way or the other, his insurance company would have paid for his defence, and then paid the award. 

Really the only downside of being sued for professional negligence is the deductible, and all of the unpleasant emotions of being dragged through the process. 

I recently learned that doctors in Ontario do not even pay a deductible. Lucky ducks! :P 

I would say even more important than that is reputation. Search her name online and see all the comments. It would surely be hard to find a job after this. Money is just money, but reputation is forever in this case.

She resigned from her job. I think her career is over.

I agree. But that is a result of the media attention rather than the law suit.

The funny thing is that sometimes these things fly under the radar. For example, I know a lawyer who was convicted of perjury. Convicted! If you look him up, you won't find anything about it. Nothing really comes to the surface without the media IMHO.

Her career is probably altered a great deal. She will probably still be a doctor but she will lay low in a different, non surgical position.

Wouldn't she need to do another residency to change positions? I thought anesthetists have to work in a hospital setting.

Lol I am not in med and this is the states, but I guess so. I didn't read the article that closely.

She might be able to still work in her specialty too. A lot of examples in Canada the doctors still worked during and after really bad disciplinary findings.

I think the moral of this story might be that you should treat unconscious people the same as you would of they were awake?

Archived