Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

Just out of curiosity, how many of you have taken anatomy or physiology during your undergrad, if you are not from Mac's healthsci or a kinesci program?

I majored in a biomed program during my undergrad. I don't think these two courses were included in my curriculum. I'm not even sure whether I was allowed to take them.

I know Mac's health sci offers anatomy. I also heard that many kinesiology programs offers first year physiology course. But that's all I know.

We had anatomy and histology courses available as electives. I know a lot of people (including myself) from a wide variety of programs who took them.

It's interesting to learn that physiology wasn't part of a biomed program though. Those would be the first things I would think should be included. Did they teach you the relevant content in the form of other, non-specific classes then?

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only people who took anatomy at my school were the kinesiology students. Anyone else who wanted to take it( or had to for prereqs) had to scramble to register after the kinesiology students. They also always conflicted with required courses for many science programs. It was a bit political and huge pain. I didn't take it. I'm surviving med school, so, so far so good.

It's interesting to learn that physiology wasn't part of a biomed program though. Those would be the first things I would think should be included. Did they teach you the relevant content in the form of other, non-specific classes then?

You would think that, for a program that aims to train future researchers among whom a large portion will end up working on human disease research projects, these two courses should be included in the curriculum, right?

That's why I always think that today's biomedical research training is fundamentally flawed even from the start.

I took both human anatomy and human physiology. Those are core courses in Guelph's Biomed program.

Yup, Guelph Biomed's first semester of third year is pretty much only physiology and anatomy. We get to do a cadaver dissection lab (I'll be doing it this Fall) which I couldn't be more grateful for.

We keep going back and forth on whether to do the drive to Hamilton in three days or two. I don't feel safe doing the drive straight through in one go, though my husband does. We'll either spend a night near Montreal, or we'll do one night in Rivière-du-Loup and one night in Ottawa before going on to Hamilton. We're planning a trip back to Ottawa to see friends and show the kids some of our favourite places next month.

We're travelling in two vehicles with the pets (dog, cats, birds) and kids so it's going to be interesting no matter what we decide, that's for sure.

Either way, we'll be in Hamilton in less than a month.

We keep going back and forth on whether to do the drive to Hamilton in three days or two. I don't feel safe doing the drive straight through in one go, though my husband does. We'll either spend a night near Montreal, or we'll do one night in Rivière-du-Loup and one night in Ottawa before going on to Hamilton. We're planning a trip back to Ottawa to see friends and show the kids some of our favourite places next month.

We're travelling in two vehicles with the pets (dog, cats, birds) and kids so it's going to be interesting no matter what we decide, that's for sure.

ha - So you are visiting the great capital!

Nice time of the year to drop by.

ha - So you are visiting the great capital!

Nice time of the year to drop by.

Oh absolutely. The parks, the market, the events. I loved Ottawa in the summer, especially when I lived downtown. We want to take the kids to the Museum of Civilization and the Aviation Museum as well as check out our old stomping grounds. We have a lot of friends in the city we've been wanting to see for a while and they might abduct me from Hamilton if I don't make plans to see them once I'm back in Ontario, hah.

I love Rivière du Loup and Ottawa's my hometown so option number two sounds like the obvious choice, haha. Enjoy your trip!

Yup, Guelph Biomed's first semester of third year is pretty much only physiology and anatomy. We get to do a cadaver dissection lab (I'll be doing it this Fall) which I couldn't be more grateful for.

it's a lot of work but also a lot of fun. they are changing the human phys system (ha to my disappointment) but it still should be good.

I love Rivière du Loup and Ottawa's my hometown so option number two sounds like the obvious choice, haha. Enjoy your trip!

"Enjoy" might be too strong a word for multiple days on the road with young children and multiple animals, haha.

I spent ten years in Ottawa and my husband grew up there, so its near and dear for us too. :) I'm just not sure I want to extend the drive by another day and deal with cranky, annoyed children and a needy dog.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you have taken anatomy or physiology during your undergrad, if you are not from Mac's healthsci or a kinesci program?

I majored in a biomed program during my undergrad. I don't think these two courses were included in my curriculum. I'm not even sure whether I was allowed to take them.

I know Mac's health sci offers anatomy. I also heard that many kinesiology programs offers first year physiology course. But that's all I know.

I took a full year of human physiology. All students in Dietitians of Canada accredited undergraduate programs have to take physiology. How else can Dietitians understand the processes in the body that nutrition impacts?

Lots of programs at Guelph require human phys or mammalian phys. As other have said, Guelph's human kinetics and biomed students actually study anatomy through dissection of human cadavers (although some end up taking the anatomy courses that involve studying prosecutions instead, as the dissection courses are extremely popular).

Greece did not even bring a new proposal for a solution with creditors. And so the problem continues. Not to bright of the Greek politicians as the suffering for their citizens carries on and will only get worse.

yeah their situation is worse than before. Now their credit rating will be even lower (they just proved they are willing to default - very publicly proved it. Zero doubt now). Why would anyone else loan them money? Without cash infusions their system will grind to a halt - they are down in their system to far less than one billion, so they are entering a serious cash flow crunch. With that the  economic engine simply stops.

Worse any deal you would think would take time - last week you could imagine they would strike some form of a deal very shortly. Now even a week delay just to sort out the new details will have a major impact.

While I keep up on the news, my knowledge of these sorts of international financial matters is fairly limited.

That said, I can't help but get the impression that Greece took a swan dive out of the frying pan into the fire.

And as Canada's economy appears to be experiencing some hiccups itself, I am very grateful to be entering medicine when I am.

While I keep up on the news, my knowledge of these sorts of international financial matters is fairly limited.

That said, I can't help but get the impression that Greece took a swan dive out of the frying pan into the fire.

And as Canada's economy appears to be experiencing some hiccups itself, I am very grateful to be entering medicine when I am.

yeah we according to a few banks are now technically in recession. Not good.

yeah we according to a few banks are now technically in recession. Not good.

Yeah... We've been seeing the impacts of the oil slump here on the Island for a while. A LOT of Islanders depend on the patch for their income and there are many families hurting this year. We've been counting ourselves lucky that my husband left when he did or we'd have been up the creek this year.

Knew it wouldn't be long before we started seeing broader impacts. I know that the oil industry isn't the sole cause of this (I've heard it termed a "mini recession" but I suppose that's only accurate if it ends quickly, and people aren't seeming terribly optimistic) but it feels like it is a major contributing factor.

All in all... it's a good time to be getting into a more stable career.

Archived