Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2021 Interviews--DISCUSSIONS

Just now, sykern said:

Same. I’m assuming they didn’t wanna interview my crusty self but eeehhh can’t win em all 

omg y'all need to  stop. thats the problem with rumours and this is my fault. so many people haven't heard therefore they prob haven't been released yet. it's only like 10:30am there. have confidence and faith! i don't know you but i don't think you're crusty!! 

2 minutes ago, bellejolie said:

omg y'all need to  stop. thats the problem with rumours and this is my fault. so many people haven't heard therefore they prob haven't been released yet. it's only like 10:30am there. have confidence and faith! i don't know you but i don't think you're crusty!! 

Hahahaha aww I appreciate it ❤️I call myself a crust as self-deprecation and I’m old so I think of it as a term of endearment 

11 minutes ago, sykern said:

Hahahaha aww I appreciate it ❤️I call myself a crust as self-deprecation and I’m old so I think of it as a term of endearment 

haha fair enough - honestly the anxiety is real but until you have an x, there is no decision. it's possible the file review is done but they haven't sent invites. they may not even come today we may have to wait until next week. lots of files to review and lots of admin work to organize so just have to be patient and have faith. until then, no news is good news. 

2 minutes ago, bellejolie said:

haha fair enough - honestly the anxiety is real but until you have an x, there is no decision. it's possible the file review is done but they haven't sent invites. they may not even come today we may have to wait until next week. lots of files to review and lots of admin work to organize so just have to be patient and have faith. until then, no news is good news. 

Yasss. We got this, no matter if it’s an x, check, or clock, doesn’t change our worth as humans. ❤️❤️❤️

26 minutes ago, ArthurMcArthur said:

Also, did you see how the Neurosurgery invites this morning came out at 3.30 ish am? I thought I only had to be stressed for roughly 12 hours a day, not 24 haha

I'd tell you that was my fault (for being up and posting at 5am or whatever, sorry), but it really did come through at 12:30 in the morning.

Though on one hand, I appreciate the rolling interviews so that people don't have to scramble to book timeslots all at once, I feel as though it would be nicer to get interview invite notifications all on the same day, with deets coming out by email over the course of the week prior to interviews. 

26 minutes ago, Vie said:

I'd tell you that was my fault (for being up and posting at 5am or whatever, sorry), but it really did come through at 12:30 in the morning.

Though on one hand, I appreciate the rolling interviews so that people don't have to scramble to book timeslots all at once, I feel as though it would be nicer to get interview invite notifications all on the same day, with deets coming out by email over the course of the week prior to interviews. 

Agreed! This is kind of like torture. They should all come out on the same day

1 hour ago, bellejolie said:

Some people have definitely gotten offers from Calgary. Whether or not that's all of the offers they're planning on sending is unclear 

5 minutes ago, birdy21 said:

Some people have definitely gotten offers from Calgary. Whether or not that's all of the offers they're planning on sending is unclear 

Do you know if it's people with a Western Canada affiliation or has it been random? I know historically they're very, VERY "wE tAkE oUr oWn" and 10 years ago they wouldn't even look at you if you didn't do an elective there (source: buddy of mine applied in 2011). So I wouldn't be surprised if they were offering home grown / home adjacent / people with a western canada connection first. At the same time it's a weird year so I could be completely off, I'm just going off of my n of 1. 

2 hours ago, sykern said:

Do you know if it's people with a Western Canada affiliation or has it been random? I know historically they're very, VERY "wE tAkE oUr oWn" and 10 years ago they wouldn't even look at you if you didn't do an elective there (source: buddy of mine applied in 2011). So I wouldn't be surprised if they were offering home grown / home adjacent / people with a western canada connection first. At the same time it's a weird year so I could be completely off, I'm just going off of my n of 1. 

Unsure if people outside of western Canada have had offers, but I know applicants from western Can/with connections to Calgary that have both received and invite and haven't heard anything

Re: Calgary Psych.

On their program description, they wrote “Out of approximately 150-160 applications, historically 45 applicants are interviewed. For the February/March 2021 interview period, it has not yet been determined if changes will alter this number.”

I think they might have sent out the 45 invites on Feb 17, now they are making a final decision onto if they will expand that number or waitlist the rest. Just speculation!

21 minutes ago, ThatMedGyal said:

Re: Calgary Psych.

On their program description, they wrote “Out of approximately 150-160 applications, historically 45 applicants are interviewed. For the February/March 2021 interview period, it has not yet been determined if changes will alter this number.”

I think they might have sent out the 45 invites on Feb 17, now they are making a final decision onto if they will expand that number or waitlist the rest. Just speculation!

Yeah prob. Historically, they interview ~42 applicants, ~6 of which are UCalgary students that are interviewed before the CaRMS tour. I wonder if they did that this year as well or not. 

6 minutes ago, sykern said:

Yeah prob. Historically, they interview ~42 applicants, ~6 of which are UCalgary students that are interviewed before the CaRMS tour. I wonder if they did that this year as well or not. 

Wow. So in this CARMS tour, we might theoretically be competing for 2 Calgary Psych spots? Just give me my rejection notice already xD