Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2021 Interviews--DISCUSSIONS

2 minutes ago, cookie_m said:

Haha I'm over it. Rather know sooner than later. I'm grateful to have gotten the interview invites I have so far.

I know some people got invites to Ottawa EM, so if you haven't heard anything a rejection, I would take that as good news? There's still some hope

That's the spirit!!! 

I'm OOP so maybe they haven't gotten there yet for notifications perhaps? Only time will tell! 

1 minute ago, cookie_m said:

DW I sat there trying to think of what that stood for for like 5 minutes. It's out of province

Just now, NoMatchNoProblem said:

OOP = Out of Province 

So for example, if you are a CMG from British Columbia but applying for programs from Ontario, you would be considered OOP because you reside in a different province 

Thanks! So do people tend to match more in their home province? Is there a preference?

18 minutes ago, ArthurMcArthur said:

Thanks! So do people tend to match more in their home province? Is there a preference?

Depends on the program - for smaller programs they tend to pick who they know based on rotations. We didn’t get electives this year so they only know their own students. Generally because of the carms unmatched rate continuing to go up and schools wanting to protect their stats, they tend to favour their own yes. In COVID times i suspect this will be the case even more so for programs that take small numbers of people. 

18 minutes ago, ArthurMcArthur said:

Yes, but only to the extent that most people want to stay in their home province and are able to offer more compelling reasons in their interviews for why they want to train at an in-province school, and programs probably have a preference for taking students who are likely to stay in their community after residency. But there isn't a quota in the same way that there is for med school admissions, at least not to my knowledge. 

4 minutes ago, bellejolie said:

Depends on the program - for smaller programs they tend to pick who they know based on rotations. We didn’t get electives this year so they only know their own students. Generally because of the carms unmatched rate continuing to go up and schools wanting to protect their stats, they tend to favour their own yes. In COVID times i suspect this will be the case even more so for programs that take small numbers of people. 

Wow, that sounds stressful!

3 hours ago, chunnie said:

for smaller specialities is no news : good news or bad news? If invites have started going out...

Honestly for smaller specialties (ie if program admin feasibly can send out invites without a computer program ~50 or less), if invites have gone out, no news is prob no news but more likely to be bad news. If rejects have gone out as well, you're likely a 'waitlist' in case anyone cancels. If rejects have not gone out, you're either a silent reject or a waitlist. 

Just my $0.02