Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: ACCEPTANCE!!

Time Stamp: 7:16 am EST

wGPA: 3.99

Stream: English

Geography: IP 

EC's: Cheesecake

Current Year: 3rd 

Interview: Pretty dope, aloof and kind of disinterested with lots of ethics but that's how I like it bc I'm not the touchy-feely talk about myself type - feel like I cultivated interest near the end.

TIME TO OBLITERATE MY LIVER!!!!

Result: Accepted!

Time stamp: 7:14

ECs: Varied; long-term and short-term commitments.

Current year: just finished fourth

Interview: I initially felt really good about it!  I felt that I was able to relax and be myself.  There were a couple questions I felt I could have answered better, and I had a lot of doubts leading up to today.  I did not expect this, and am feeling incredibly grateful.

Many congratulations to those of you who received offers!  I am excited to meet you all this fall.  To those on the waitlist, my fingers are crossed for lots of movement!  

Result: Accepted!!

Time-stamp: 6:57 AM 

wGPA: 3.93

EC: diverse/long term, PM for details

Current year: UG complete

Interview: Thought the interview went smoothly, pretty much like a conversation!

Extremely grateful and will be accepting. Can't wait to see you guys in the next few months!

Result: Accepted

Time-stamp: 7:23 AM 

GPA: 4.00

Stream: French

EC: The usual premed stuff (i.e. hospital and community volunteer work), plus lots of sports extra-curriculars (played a varsity sport throughout undergrad and have been coaching in the community for the last few years). 

Current year: MSc Student

Interview: It went very well!

This was my third time applying to (and interviewing at) uOttawa. Don't give up guys!

Result: Accepted !! (will be accepting)

Time stamp: 7:30

wGPA: 3.9

Geography: OOP

ECs: Varied, longterm and lot of research. 

Current year: UG complete

Interview: Felt good initially but started doubting an hour after. Some answers were strong but there were questions I definitely could have answered better. It was far from a perfect interview. 

Feeling extremely grateful for this opportunity. Congratulation to everyone who received offers! To everyone on the waitlist, stay strong and I wish you all the best ! 

Result: Accepted!

Time stamp; 7:28 AM

wGPA: 3.91

Stream: French (Salut à tout mes francophones, wut wut!)

Geography: Ottawa 

EC: Longterm hospital volunteer, pianist, singer, volunteer at my church. 1 year of cancer research, 1 NSERC. Cultural awards. Visible minority (if that even matters)

Current year: 3rd but graduating - idk I had credits.

Interview: Felt good-ok about the ethical situations. I was so nervous, nearly tripped off the chairs. The panel felt a little indifferent. Went a few minutes over xD

I'm still in disbelief haha

Congrats to everyone who got an offer and lachez-pas, ceux qui attendent encore sur la list d'attente!

This is an absolute dream come true.

Result: ACCEPTED!

Time-stamp: 6:58 AM 

GPA: 4.00

ECs: Diverse

Current year: Graduated

Interview: It went very well! Walked out of the room knowing I nailed it.  Do not underestimate the importance of over-preparation, self-confidence, and good ol' fashioned likability. 

NOTE: I have 2 undergraduate degrees, have applied to uOttawa 4 times, and interviewed 3 times.  

Never give up.  Never give in.  You are the master of your destiny and don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.     

Result: Waitlist

Time-Stamp: 7:41 AM

GPA: 3.94

EC: Lot's of stuff

Current Year: Graduated

Interview: I felt good about it immediately after but about 10 minutes later, not so much. Then it was a daily flip flop of "it went well" do "Oh God, what have I done?"

Le Sigh.

Edit : Only one waitlist

Time for Mr Ducks post!

First of all as someone who stalked this forum for 7-8 years, it is such a blessed feeling to be able to put in my very own entry :D I hope you little ducklings can learn from these posts and never give up! Trust: this is soooo worth. 

Accepted
Date Stamp: Tuesday May 9, 2017 at 7:28 AM
Stream: French
wGPA: 3.991
Current year: 3rd year 
ECs: This is kind of copy paste from my interview invite post but I will elaborate a little bit more. Long term hospital volunteering (5-6 years the general campus TOH, doing patient care on wards, cancer center, and lately working with volunteer association as their board member/secretary, 3 years at Montfort as ER volunteer and training new ER volunteers), President and co-founder of research club 2 years organizing case competitions on campus (Scinapse, etc), promoting research opportunities etc. Research in one lab since 4 years with 1 pub (6th author), 2 abstracts (first author) and oral presentation award at one of those meetings. URS scholarship recipient, lifeguard/lifesaving instructor for couple of years, work as medicine unit clerk at Montfort as well as nutrition clerk and nutrition aide (yep, serving patients food, twas fun), got 2 pronvinvical volunteer awards etc. PM me if you have questions or want more details! For ECs, honestly do what you like and the path will follow itself. For example I did a coop at Montfort hospital in 11th grade, I met the director, he hooked up a volunteer position in the ER, then I started volunteering there, got enough experience to train volunteers, got nominated for an award (I work hard lol) and with volunteering at the hospital and meeting managers I was able to get hired at the nutrition department, moved myself up to be a unit clerk. Just goes to show that a simple start in a place you like, and some networking, will build opportunities by itself! And no need to do hospital (I loved the hospital so I naturally stuck there) but it can be anywhere.

Interview: This is my honest opinion as I dont want to mess up the stats. I honestly had a bad feeling coming out. Although my friend right before me had said the panel was warm, laughing and answers were good, I did not have the same feeling at all. Panel was serious the whole time with me, I gave an answer that wasnt really me for the first 2 questions (I think they picked up on it) but I stayed calm and collected throughout. My approach to ethical scenarios was very solid, I think thats what redeemed me as I backed up with really relevant experiences within the hospital. 100% of the questions I got were ones you can read online (if I am allowed to say), nothing super crazy at all; very basic stuff! Had a bad feeling walking out, but I guess this is another proof that post-interview feelings dont always correlate with acceptance/rejection. For the interview, honestly be yourself (no joke). I realized this recently but imagine you look dishonest at the interview, would you want a dishonest physician interacting with a patient? There needs to be trust, intellect (thinking of your answer), etc. Think of being in the shoes of the interviewer...

Thats it for me :P feel free to PM me hopefully I check the inbox regularly enough to answer any questions. Good luck to any future applicants :)

ACCEPTED! YES!

Time-stamp: 7:00AM

cGPA: 3.98

ECs: Diverse, no pubs but some research, lots of academic/leadership awards, jobs as mentors/leaders/community involvement, volunteering, etc. hit every topic and filled all 48 spots

Current year: Third Year 

Interview: to be honest I thought I was going to be rejected, I interviewed nervously and said some stupid things (but some salvageable things too! guess it was enough)

Result: Waitlisted

Time-stamp: 7:37 AM 

GPA: 3.93

ECs: Diverse, lots of student government, clubs/societies, hospital work, shadowing a cardiologist, volunteering, and research.

Current year: 2nd year MSc

Interview: Went well in my opinion, the role play was a little intimidating but walked away feeling good about it. Interviewers were extremely friendly!

Time-stamp: 7:24 AM, 09/05/17 

wGPA: 3.93 

ECs: Upon request: 2 USRAs, UROP and honours project, no pubs, hospital and foodbank volunteering (years), TA multiple semesters, couple random short term jobs and volunteer positions, research assistant in paediatrics emergency and infectious disease, tutor for a semester, summer camp coordinator, couple academic awards, multiple non-competitive sports/activities, two pilot's licenses (glider and private)

Current year: 4th year

Interview: Felt quite good!

B) 

Time-stamp: 7:16 AM, 09/05/17 

Geography: OOP

ECs: Research (2 semesters at time of application), hospital and community volunteering, some long term sport commitments etc. Filled about 28 or so of the spots on OMSAS (including award spaces).

Current year: 3rd year

Interview: I was fortunate enough to have a warm panel! I didn't feel as if I was getting grilled or tested, but more so that the interviewers wanted to see me at UofO. At some points in the interview I stumbled on what I was going to say and talked in circles--especially on some of the complicated ethical questions. I practiced quite a bit for the interview and it definitely helped to approximately know what I would say for questions that are expected to be asked in a panel interview. My performance seemed sub-par to me after the interview and I came out of the interview with a solid belief that I wouldn't get in this year. Needless to say I was very surprised when I looked at the acceptance email! As others have said too, how you think you did after an interview does not parallel what the interviewers thought of you. The feeling of being accepted to med school is truly unreal!

Result: Accepted!!!

Time-stamp: 7:05 AM

wGPA: 3.96 (cGPA 3.92)

ECs: So many varied non-traditional experiences...

Mother of four.

Current year: Graduated in 2016, took additional prerequisites part time this year.

Interview: Mixed feelings. Felt really good about some questions. There were two questions where I kept worrying about the little things I wish I hadn't said that have been replaying in my mind, and the things I wish I'd added in.

Ecstatic to be offered a spot! I am still in a state of disbelief. I will post a more detailed story of my journey to medical school in the non-traditional forum.

For any other non-traditional applicants dreaming of medical school, keep pursuing your dreams. With a lot of hard work, determination, and an unwavering passion for medicine, it can be done. 

Result: Waitlisted

Time-stamp: 7:41 AM

wGPA: 3.94

ECs: PM for details

Current year: Bonus year after graduating last year

Interview: Had a really friendly panel. Felt like there was some sort of connection with them: cracked a joke and they laughed, expressed a few mutual interests. Had a much better performance with roleplaying and ethical questions than last year. Had a few "I should've said this" moments after the interview.

Kinda bummed out by getting waitlisted, and even more now that there isn't a good or bad waitlist. Third time applying and second interview here. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for an email or phone call. Congrats to everyone that got in and good luck for those of us on the waitlist. Hoping the Duck's blessing will shine down on us all.

Result: Accepted (Interviewed off the waitlist)

Time-stamp: 6:56 AM

wGPA: 3.96

Stream: E

Geography: IP 4th year

ECs: Pretty vanilla, some long term commitments and diverse activities, nothing outstanding

Interview: really friendly panel, was challenged on a few questions, felt okay walking out

Will be declining this offer for another school! Good luck to those still waiting :)

Result: Waitlist

wGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 129/130/130/129 (518)

ECs: Wide variety

Interview: I initially thought it went okay, but I bombed my other interviews so this one probably wasn't so hot either. Definitely find the panel more forgiving than the MMI though.

Year: 4th year UG

OOP