Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Studying organic chemistry for the MCAT is really freakin hard! :eek:

Borrow or buy the Examkrackers Audio Osmosis for organic chem. I found them very helpful. Also, Khan academy. And get the notes for organic chem classes from someone who has taken it. That's how I taught myself last summer. :)

I've never taken university level chemistry. I'm working through Examkrackers and I've found Organic Chemistry as a Second Language quite helpful. But it seems like all the practice questions I find have nothing to do with the material I've studied! :confused:

You've never taken even gen chem and you're planning to write the MCAT? That's quite ambitious.

I've never taken university level chemistry. I'm working through Examkrackers and I've found Organic Chemistry as a Second Language quite helpful. But it seems like all the practice questions I find have nothing to do with the material I've studied! :confused:

Those bumps happen - except for the best prep books, no single source will fully prepare you for the MCAT material without going too far in-depth. The more practice tests you do, the more holes in your knowledge will get filled (and the more material you'll know to ignore).

I was in the exact same situation when I wrote the MCAT, so I know it's entirely possible to do well on the chem sections without official chemistry education. All it takes is time and continued effort, so don't give up! :)

It's all Greek to me right now. I'm putting in quite a bit of time and feel like I'm

Getting nowhere. I'm starting to worry that I might not have the brains for this doctor thing :(

Orgo's tough - don't let that throw you! Definitely don't count yourself out until you've given it a real shot. The MCAT doesn't cost much to do, and you never know what you'll get until you actually take it.

Orgo's tough - don't let that throw you! Definitely don't count yourself out until you've given it a real shot. The MCAT doesn't cost much to do, and you never know what you'll get until you actually take it.

Well if you take a bunch of FLs you can get a good idea...

Might be worth tracking down some good gen chem and orgo textbooks to go through. I used McMurry's orgo book and it was quite good. You might need the depth and approach they provide to learn the material. MCAT prep books generally assume you know the content and are reviewing it so they skip some of the finer points and explanations.

It's all Greek to me right now. I'm putting in quite a bit of time and feel like I'm

Getting nowhere. I'm starting to worry that I might not have the brains for this doctor thing :(

Just keep sticking at it. It may be worth going through the material for first year chem before you move on to orgo, though. A lot of what you need for orgo is the fluency developed from gen chem. You may find it a lot easier if you make sure you have a solid grasp of those concepts before you move on to organic.

I've gone through Examkrackers chemistry, but had a hard time with it. I'm starting biochem next week and I think it's going to help me in all areas of the sciences (except physics which I'm also fearing). As well after my 2 weeks of vacation I have coming up I will be cutting down from full time to 2 days a week at work to focus on biochem and the MCAT.In May I'm doing a 10 week prep course, and I'm hoping that some actual human instruction will be my saving grace. I'm not writing until the end of July, but I'm still wondering if it's enough time to make up for my lack of a science degree.

I've gone through Examkrackers chemistry, but had a hard time with it. I'm starting biochem next week and I think it's going to help me in all areas of the sciences (except physics which I'm also fearing). As well after my 2 weeks of vacation I have coming up I will be cutting down from full time to 2 days a week at work to focus on biochem and the MCAT.In May I'm doing a 10 week prep course, and I'm hoping that some actual human instruction will be my saving grace. I'm not writing until the end of July, but I'm still wondering if it's enough time to make up for my lack of a science degree.

First year (and MCAT) physics is 90% unit analysis, 10% content knowledge. It's just logic.

Hopefully the course helps. I'm sure it seems overwhelming now without having the background. Good luck!

Just went for my first run of the year now that the weather is getting nicer where I am. Felt amazing. Not so worried about the wait to May 13th now that I know I'll be busy and concentrated on getting back in shape/training for a 10k. :) How's everyone else coping with the wait thus far?

Just went for my first run of the year now that the weather is getting nicer where I am. Felt amazing. Not so worried about the wait to May 13th now that I know I'll be busy and concentrated on getting back in shape/training for a 10k. :) How's everyone else coping with the wait thus far?

I was just about to make almost this exact post! I've started running too. I've never been a runner, so I started with 1/1 run/walk intervals, am now up to 5/1 and am hoping to run (with no walking) a 10K on June 1st.

It's definitely a good distraction because I can look forward to (sort of) the challenge of the next run, decreasing walking, increasing time, etc...

Plus I'm going to Mexico in July so that's good motivation too! Haha.

Been worried about a friend of mine. He's had CML for about 3 years now and I was told today that his platelet count is super low. He said he was put on new meds, so I'm hoping that's the reason.

We worry so much about med school admissions and such, but stuff like this really puts that into perspective.

I really hope that your friend pulls through :)

We worry so much about med school admissions and such, but stuff like this really puts that into perspective.

I really hope that your friend pulls through :)

Thanks.

I was having just that discussion with a friend of mine earlier today: how much do things like admission into med school matter in the grand scheme of things?

We had both just found out that a girl we went to high school with passed away (bone cancer). Definitely puts things in perspective. We become so engrossed in our daily lives, our goals and desires that we lose sight of the important things.

doesn't anyone else think med school or any professional program is hard on relationships? srs what would i tell my girl i am going to study pretty much all the time to have a high average, because i am selfish i about my career.

the only way i could see something that is fair is if we were both very studious. I was with someone for a while but i felt so bad about never hanging out, and I knew she wasn't into studying...met this nice girl doing co-ed but just seems like at this time in my life i can't give her what she wants

doesn't anyone else think med school or any professional program is hard on relationships? srs what would i tell my girl i am going to study pretty much all the time to have a high average, because i am selfish i about my career.

the only way i could see something that is fair is if we were both very studious. I was with someone for a while but i felt so bad about never hanging out, and I knew she wasn't into studying...met this nice girl doing co-ed but just seems like at this time in my life i can't give her what she wants

What I don't understand is why you're pursuing medicine? I haven't seen you post one positive thing about schools or anything preceding acceptance into those schools.

^i am a pessimist. i am an undergrad, but i still have to work hard for my grades. as you may know our courses aren't pass fail. what am i supposed to say I love studying concepts that will prob have no relevance in the medical profession.....

A lot of things may not have relevance. In all honesty probably 60% of the stuff you take will have NO relevance depending on what you major in. That doesn't mean you hate schools for rejecting you, that doesn't mean you post how it destroys relationships, or how you don't like studying. If you don't get into a school you don't blame a school. There's a quote that goes along with this generic story.

“To have the ultimate result of making the NHL you must systematically and with vigor identify all potential issues that could derail your career. Once each area is identified and addressed you are left with only one valid excuse for failure. You weren’t good enough.”

perhaps i was just mad at the moment and i have gotten over it. the thing is with the internet when you post something it says there forever.

i still think undergrad is alot of work. so many labs, taking all my time away from schools and I can't say i enjoy learning about this stuff. I am not doing a mickey mouse undergrad and achieving 60s.

I am one of the better students in my class with a competitive average and to do this requires alot of work! there is no doubt that all this studying is putting a strain on my relationships. I missed so many holidays/birthdays etc because of midterm/exam timing.

perhaps i was just mad at the moment and i have gotten over it. the thing is with the internet when you post something it says there forever.

i still think undergrad is alot of work. so many labs, taking all my time away from schools and I can't say i enjoy learning about this stuff. I am not doing a mickey mouse undergrad and achieving 60s.

I am one of the better students in my class with a competitive average and to do this requires alot of work! there is no doubt that all this studying is putting a strain on my relationships. I missed so many holidays/birthdays etc because of midterm/exam timing.

And if you want to go into medicine I promise you'll miss a lot more. Everyone here wants to do well, and they don't complain because they couldn't imagine doing anything else.

Archived