Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: Accepted

Time Stamp: May 12 @ 7:30 AM

MCAT: 12/10/14

wGPA: 3.99

Stream: English

Year: Just Completed UG

ECs: Long time athlete (competitive soccer/hockey, plus other intramurals), worked at a long term care home for 4 years, some academic scholarships, one NSERC,  2 summers of research experience + Hons Project (no pubs yet), volunteer tutoring...if you would like to know particulars please PM

Interview: Thought it went really, really well. Panel was friendly and allowed me to talk about all by significant experiences.

I've been lurking forever, hope this helps someone in the future!

Time stamp: May 12 morning

Result: Bad waitlisted

wGPA: 3.9ish

Interview: Panel felt rushed, cold and abrupt from the very start but I thought I handled myself well (guess not) :(

Congrats to those who have been accepted :) and to those with not so good news... keep your head up and keep trying!

• 2 weeks later...

Result: Accepted (off the waitlist)

Time Stamp: May 27 (10:30am)

wGPA: 3.986

Year: UG completed

ECs: PM if you'd like to know.

Interview: I felt okay walking out, but after reflecting on it later, I thought I would get rejected. Some of my answers could've been better, but I guess I performed well enough to receive an offer. My panel was friendly.

Can't wait to meet everyone in the fall! I am very grateful for this opportunity and good luck to all those still on the waitlist!

Result: Accepted (Accepted the offer)

Time Stamp: May 12th 7:33 am

WGPA: 3.98

Year: 4th Year UG Completed This year

ECs: PM me - but nothing too fancy. Only filled 15 for ABS

Interview: I didn't prepare much since it was a panel interview. Was a bit nervous, but felt pretty confident about it. I got a lot of my practice questions so I may have sounded a bit rehearsed lol. I was really worried about that. I was confident with most of my answers. They didn't look at me most of the time nor seemed so pleased about two of my answers, so this was a very pleasant surprise. I didn't get asked a lot of personal questions, but I guess that doesn't matter lol

I have been lurking forever so hopefully this helps someone. Sorry that this is late :) Best of luck to future applicants + re-applicants!

PM me if you need help with interview.

Accepted off the wait list

June 2 at 11:40 am

WGPA 3.928

ECs - strong (multiple nursing and research jobs, pubs/posters, president of student wellness club, therapy dog training and volunteering, women's center volunteer etc)

Interview - left feeling that I nailed it but then thought I could have said more and elaborated on a few questions. Overall felt very confident about it.

Good luck to everyone still on the list and can't wait to meet everyone!!!

Accepted off the wait list!!!!!!

June 2 11:43AM

Wgpa 3.91666

ECS - Diverse experiences, tons of volunteering, most importantly, I worded them cleverly using keywords and CANmeds

Interview - Walked out thinking I killed it! Thought I performed my very best that day. I guess I could have done better to have gotten in on May 12 but its ok LOL

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Accepted 

Time-stamp: 7:49 AM 

GPA: 3.95

Geography: IP 

Current year: Just finished undergrad

ECs: Years of competitive dancing/teaching/office work, working with older and vulnerable populations, some research, many awards. I just tried to do a bunch of things I liked and was passionate about year round to show that I could balance life, work,  academics, and community involvement

Interview: I was comfortable, but honestly I was REALLY sick so not sure how it really went

Wait list - Good

Time-stamp: 7:59 AM 

GPA: 3.93

Current year: 10 years post-UG

ECs: See my other posts, definitely some variety here.

Interview: I don't think it went well. Felt like I was being grilled by the panel over minor things. Was a little more stressed for this than my other interviews - it must have shown?

EDIT: Removed myself from the waitlist by accepting McMaster (June 10th)

Waitlist (Good)

Time: 7:59 AM

wGPA: 3.95

Current Year: Completed undergrad

Interview: Really unsure, felt confident in my answers but also doubted the way they were responded to at times

Congrats to those accepted!

Accepted!

Time Stamp: 7:47am

wGPA: 3.98

Current Year: working for 1+ year

Interview: overall went well. felt calm and confident, but felt I could have answered 1-2 questions better.

So excited! Really loved the Ottawa visit, but it will be a tough choice between here and Queens.  Congrats to those excepted and best of luck to all on the waitlist!

Accepted!

7:43 AM

GPA: 3.95

Geography: ON (I think?)

BA complete, BSc complete, MSc almost complete

Interview: To be honest, I felt like it went really bad. I beat myself up about it for a long time. I felt like I was being challenged and they were just trying to get a reaction out of me. But, I was myself and I was HONEST. What would I really do in a certain scenario, in real life? I gave some very non-med-school-interview answers and know I caught them off guard because some of the prompts they gave me assumed I would have answered questions differently.

I am so, so honoured to have been admitted to Ottawa! I went back to school at the age of 25 with the goal of working in health care and 5 years later, four application cycles later, two degrees later, I'm starting my career!

Edit: Will be declining in favour of going back home  :)

Wait listed (Good)

7:58am

Current year: Completed undergrad
Interview: I felt that some parts of my interview went well and other parts I could have articulated better, but even just to be on the wait list is great! Does anyone have insight as to how many people are accepted off the good wait list? Or even how many people are on it?

Congrats to everyone who made it in! :)