Premed 101 Forums

University Of Alberta 2020 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2024

Sun444

2 minutes ago, pharm9901 said:

Hey, is anyone considering getting an iPad for note-taking and studying in pharmacy? I was thinking of buying one but not sure how useful it will be.

I am a second year pharmacy student and I use an iPad to take notes. I love it! I use notability and really enjoy being able to write right on the slides

Hi Everyone,

I hope that everyone's staying well during these unprecedented times! I understand that the end of June and the start of July can be an extremely exciting, yet nerve-wracking and stressful time for applicants as it certainly had been for me when I was applying to the UofA Pharmacy program just some years ago! 

Over the past few years, I've had a string of success in helping several different individuals in getting into the program at the UofA, including several of my own staff that I hired as pharmacy assistants before they were admitted. Looking back, I really wish I had access to these resources, and if I did, I would've changed my application approach entirely knowing what I do now.

And so, based on feedback from one of my staff, I wanted to reach out on this forum to let you know that if you're looking for some advice from an independent pharmacy operator and recent graduate, shoot me an email (choi.chung913@gmail.com) and I'd be happy to connect with you where you can ask me anything - regardless of whether you've just received your admission letter, or you're someone looking to apply/re-apply next year.

Best of luck for those applying this year, and for those who've already gotten an acceptance letter, congratulations! 

On 6/21/2020 at 3:58 PM, pharm9901 said:

Hey, is anyone considering getting an iPad for note-taking and studying in pharmacy? I was thinking of buying one but not sure how useful it will be.

I personally bought a Macbook for pharmacy school as it allowed for greater versatility. Owning both devices now, I would say to consider:

• What online/virtual platform(s) your classes may be delivered on this year (due to COVID-19), and what the compatibility is across the iPad
  • Websites you may need to access that have embedded videos where the iPad has difficulties loading it
  • Where you plan on doing most of your studying in the long-term (e.g. on campus, or at home where you may also have a desktop / laptop) 

My two cents - iPads are great for their lightweight nature, and generally for the most part can accomplish most day-to-day tasks like taking notes in class or in group meetings etc. but you may need to consider some unique individualized factors as I've listed above. 

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted so far! I look forward to (maybe!) seeing all of you guys this fall. As always, if you guys have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me or the other upper years in this thread! Can't wait to meet you all, I would've loved to see you all at orientation! :)

9 minutes ago, Pharm2024 said:

I got my acceptance today at 10:09 am!! I was not expecting to hear anything because it is Sunday so that was a fun surprise to wake up to. Good luck to everyone waiting!! 

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? 

32 minutes ago, Pharm2 said:

I am a U of A student and just graduated this spring with my BSc. My pGPA is not that good (3.3 not including physiology because I just got CR). Additionally, the upper level microbiology course that I took to replace MICRB 265 was also CR. I got letters for both stating my ranking in the class/mark I would have received so I'm not sure how these letters factored into my pGPA calculations :huh:. I have taken many biochemistry courses and received high marks in those so that might have strengthened my application? My GPA from my last 60 credits was 3.9 and showed a strong trend upwards from my 1st and 2nd year. My volunteer experiences involved helping out with the campus community over the span of ~2 years. My work experience listings were all customer service based over the span of ~6 years. I believe my LOI was strong but I did not feel confident about my interview, I think I butchered 2/4 questions :wacko:

Hi all,

I also got mine this morning. I am also a recent grad, my stats were pretty decent both pGPA and oGPA are around 3.8-3.9. I am typing this up for those who haven't heard anything back yet because I want to let you know that DO NOT GIVE UP. I have applied 4 times already. Yes, you heard that right, 4 times!!! so if you do not get in its fine, you will get in eventually! 

4 hours ago, PharmD 4th time applicant said:

Hi all,

I also got mine this morning. I am also a recent grad, my stats were pretty decent both pGPA and oGPA are around 3.8-3.9. I am typing this up for those who haven't heard anything back yet because I want to let you know that DO NOT GIVE UP. I have applied 4 times already. Yes, you heard that right, 4 times!!! so if you do not get in its fine, you will get in eventually! 

BIG CONGRATS TO YOU!!! So glad that you achieved your goal and all your hard work paid off! I'm so happy for you and I'm sure posts like this will encourage and inspire future applicants to follow their heart and never give up on their dreams :) 

4 hours ago, PharmD 4th time applicant said:

Hi all,

Thank you for sharing that with us! Definitely helps ease the stress. Were you told the first 3 times you applied as to why you weren’t accepted or is it just up to you to figure that out?

Got my admission this morning as well! Just want to say congratulations everyone and hold tight to anyone waiting! I have to say I did not know what to expect, as I don't think I did well on my interview at all (it was my first take on interviews and I kind of fumbled over words and my train of thought a lot :wacko:

Best Wishes everyone :wub:

43 minutes ago, Sun444 said:

Thank you for sharing that with us! Definitely helps ease the stress. Were you told the first 3 times you applied as to why you weren’t accepted or is it just up to you to figure that out?

I was not given any hint for the past 3 times I applied. I definitely know my interview wasn’t that good the past few times. Anyhow, since I graduated this year that also helps me to boost my overall performance. 

Hi guys, I am an out of province applicant and got my acceptance letter today, around 1:30pm:) Congratulations to everyone else who got accepted this application round (I look forward to meeting u guys:wub: ) and as someone said the other day to anyone else still waiting, hang tight :) I wasn’t feeling very optimistic as my interview went terribly- I think I only really spoke semi-cohesively throughout one question and the other three were just a blur, not sure what came over me that day but I was all nerves. Hope this gives someone else some reassurance if they thought their interview didn’t go super well

1 hour ago, PotentialPharmer said:

Hi guys, I am an out of province applicant and got my acceptance letter today, around 1:30pm:) Congratulations to everyone else who got accepted this application round (I look forward to meeting u guys:wub: ) and as someone said the other day to anyone else still waiting, hang tight :) I wasn’t feeling very optimistic as my interview went terribly- I think I only really spoke semi-cohesively throughout one question and the other three were just a blur, not sure what came over me that day but I was all nerves. Hope this gives someone else some reassurance if they thought their interview didn’t go super well