Premed 101 Forums

UBC Pharmacy Applications 2020/21 - Class of 2025

sleepy_24

Does anyone know when we can start applying for living on campus residence? It feels like a waste of money to apply if we don't know if we have been accepted to the program yet but I feel like they are going to tell us so late and by then it might be too late to apply for housing (unless we get guaranteed housing)?

so i emailed abouth the residency declaration and they said "I have been advised that the Residency Declaration will be sent out once the Undergraduate Admissions Office determines all applicants that meet the required minimum requirement."  which is weird cause the process seems so slow this year compared to the previous years from what i read in the past forums 

On 3/11/2021 at 12:12 PM, nerdy_unicorn said:

Does anyone know when we can start applying for living on campus residence? It feels like a waste of money to apply if we don't know if we have been accepted to the program yet but I feel like they are going to tell us so late and by then it might be too late to apply for housing (unless we get guaranteed housing)?

If you apply now you might not get housing for next year, I applied since last august and my lowest waitlist number is 500. So yeah, I think apply as soon as possible because chances are that you might have difficultly finding on campus residence if you apply later than now

Anyone else notice that there are now pre-recorded interview questions and scenarios instead of actual (albeit virutal) MMIs?? 

Imo, I would much rather have an interview with a person presenting scenarios and have that human interaction rather than have a computerized, movie-like setting. I have had enough of this pandemic and online learning for me to repeat the same thing with an interview that basically decides my future. 

Anyway - reminder to have your residency declarations in by this Sunday (the 21st)!! 

8 hours ago, sleepy_24 said:

Anyone else notice that there are now pre-recorded interview questions and scenarios instead of actual (albeit virutal) MMIs?? 

Imo, I would much rather have an interview with a person presenting scenarios and have that human interaction rather than have a computerized, movie-like setting. I have had enough of this pandemic and online learning for me to repeat the same thing with an interview that basically decides my future. 

Anyway - reminder to have your residency declarations in by this Sunday (the 21st)!! 

It was a prerecorded interview last year too. Just gonna say it shows in the first year class that some people really benefitted from that kind of interview...

On 3/16/2021 at 9:59 AM, sleepy_24 said:

No man.. Trust me... I experienced both, and I def liked the pre-recorded ones more. 

On 3/16/2021 at 6:06 PM, hopefulpremed98 said:

It was a prerecorded interview last year too. Just gonna say it shows in the first year class that some people really benefitted from that kind of interview...

Gotta love that first year fb group chat ;). Those memes sometimes, really put a smile to your face when u have a rough day tho tbh. 

On 3/13/2021 at 10:56 AM, b0reddd101 said:

If you apply now you might not get housing for next year, I applied since last august and my lowest waitlist number is 500. So yeah, I think apply as soon as possible because chances are that you might have difficultly finding on campus residence if you apply later than now

Oh Ok! I thought maybe first years will get priority housing but I guess not! Thanks for letting me know

On 3/13/2021 at 10:56 AM, b0reddd101 said:

How can you see the waitlist number? I applied in November. Fall 2021 would be my first time attending UBC. 

58 minutes ago, b0reddd101 said:

guys update: apparently around 700-1000 people applied this year, usually they give out interviews to 400-500 is my guesstimate so sounds like its really competitive. also I confirmed and we won't be getting it around April 1st, probably a few weeks into April

Thanks for sharing this information. Can you also tell me where you found this? It is also quite surprising that this thread is less active compare to previous years, yet we have considerable number of applicants. 

49 minutes ago, Sweetjasmine said:

This is very interesting. I don't know why so many people are applying to pharmD this year. This is the case for other universities as well. Despite the fact that a few courses such as labs are not offered this year. This seems strange 

We also see more undergraduate applications this year compared to previous years. I guess this pandemic is causing people to pursue in higher education level for better job opportunities???

1 hour ago, Little Standard said:

Thanks for sharing this information. Can you also tell me where you found this? It is also quite surprising that this thread is less active compare to previous years, yet we have considerable number of applicants. 

The previous years thread was mostly comparing averages and seeing what averages got an interview/offer

2 hours ago, b0reddd101 said:

guys update: apparently around 700-1000 people applied this year, usually they give out interviews to 400-500 is my guesstimate so sounds like its really competitive. also I confirmed and we won't be getting it around April 1st, probably a few weeks into April

Where did you get this information from? I figured pharm would be less and less competitive every year. When I applied last year I thought most people got in? I didnt really see anyone get rejected. Whereas in previous years thread, there were ppl saying they got rejected. :O 

1 hour ago, Little Standard said:

So we might expect higher admission average for this year.... I'm not sure if my average is even competitive enough to spot an interview now, since I'm currently at high 70s.

If you are a BC resident, I wouldn't worry too much tbh.