Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites 2020/2021

IP/OOP: IP

Decision: Rejected

MCAT: 501

aGPA: 3.92

Coefficients: Rural, diversity (for unknown reason)

Quintiles: GPA = 4/ MCAT = 5/ Casper = 1

:(

Gutted because I can’t carry my CASPer score over next year. I know I need to improve my MCAT but I’m nervous about my GPA as I graduate this year. This is my first time applying and I’m honestly wrecked. I’ll take any advice.

Edited by StephC
Fixing statistics, rewording

IP/OOP: IP

Decision: Invite 

MCAT: 509

aGPA: probably around 4.1 or 4.2

Coefficients: SES

Interviewed last year so was pretty confident I would get an interview this year. Felt good about casper. However I was surprised by some of the IP rejections and am now thinking the pool is a lot more competitive this year and I was probably just at the cut off :/ makes me nervous

43 minutes ago, StephC said:

Gutted because I can’t carry my CASPer score over next year. I know I need to improve my MCAT but I’m nervous about my GPA as I graduate this year. This is my first time applying and I’m honestly wrecked. I’ll take any advice.

I'm not a Manitoba applicant, but with what I know about the school and the application process in general the most significant and worthwhile thing you could do would definitely be improving your MCAT. Good luck :)

1 hour ago, garceyues said:

I'm not a Manitoba applicant, but with what I know about the school and the application process in general the most significant and worthwhile thing you could do would definitely be improving your MCAT. Good luck :)

I agree with this assessment. Your AGPA is good and I think with the mcat being 50% of your score improving that will help a great deal.

3 hours ago, StephC said:

3.92 is in the 4th quintile... Jesus Christ

On a positive note, since you’re graduating this year you’ll be able to drop more credit hours for next cycle!  

1 hour ago, PotaToeZ said:

That's insane...your stats are so good. I honestly think they just took the 1st CASPer quintile OOPs and gave them interviews. :ph34r:

Honestly at this point I agree because I’ve seen posts here of lower gpas and MCATs getting OOP, unless of course the coefficients hold considerable weight. 

14 hours ago, Yoyo2017 said:

IP/OOP: OOP

Decision: Regrets

MCAT: 524

aGPA: 4.43

Coefficients:  a couple socioeconomic?

Sigh. What does this say about my Casper? :(

Edit: Casper was 5th quintile. x_x

Wow, my stats is rusty but isn't 5th quintile considered within the highest marks?! Congratulations

8 hours ago, AgentBond said:

5th quintile too? And, RIP my chances at Mac too. Fuck this bullshit test. There is no reliability to it... I did really well on the American one based on my feedback there. 

Am I mistaken? Isn't 5th quintile the highest scoring quintile? Or is it opposite?

6 hours ago, string said:

I think it might be. Just by looking at the limited sample size of this thread. Alot of 522+ 4.4+ OOP's were rejected and a few 508 3.9 IP's got rejected. I feel like those IP stats historically get an interview. But who knows, all speculation at this point.

Honestly I don’t think you can say that this year is more competitive for IP until those who didn’t get invited start posting their scores and quintiles, especially for CASPer. This sample is so small (literally a few out of 400+ IP applicants) and given how much CASPer counts towards an invite, you can’t discount that without their stats.

For OOP however, I can absolutely see it being more competitive because of the virtual interview component. It is very easy this year to apply to most schools across Canada knowing that you can interview for all of them from the comfort of your own home and never have to buy a single plane ticket.

Just now, Bulb said:

Apparently the U of M considers the 5th quintile the lowest 20% which is the opposite of what I learned in stats.

Thank you for clarifying. This must mean that the OOP pool was very talented this year. I hope everyone gets better news for other schools! 

10 hours ago, premed1989 said:

Thank you for the insight! I'm working on this as we speak and I'm really encouraged by the IP invitations I've seen going to to others with a similar AGPA and only slightly higher (I believe one was only 3 points higher) MCAT scores. I'm aiming for 515 or higher to be more competitive next time around Lots of work to do for sure before I can get to see what it feels like to be invited to interview :-)

Now that you have had the experience studying and taking the MCAT a 515+ should be very attainable. Also a 508 is an exceptional score, so now you have gained the confidence that you can do well. 

Yup, I was confused for a bit too because quintiles are normally analogous to percentiles, with higher quintiles indicating higher scores. Manitoba med is the only place where I've heard the 5th quintile being at the bottom.

Honestly though, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the admissions office drones has the concepts mixed up and either fucked up the CASPer ranking or gave everyone incorrect feedback. :rolleyes:

23 hours ago, premed1989 said:

IP/OOP: IP

MCAT: 508

aGPA: 3.84

Coefficients: Socioeconomic and rural

2nd rejection in 2 years but 2021/2022 cycle here I come! Winners never quit and quitters never win :-)

If you wouldn't mind posting, what were your quintiles?

34 minutes ago, Yoyo2017 said:

Hahaha I appreciated that. But yeah it meant bottom quintile. I hope this isn't super representative of the entire applicant pool who took Casper. :(

Same here, got a lower casper quintile 4 with a 4.5 GPA and 523 MCAT. The CASPer quintile has me really worried about Mac now.

On 1/7/2021 at 10:30 AM, PotaToeZ said:

IP/OOP: OOP

MCAT: 522

aGPA: 4.44

Coefficients: visible minority

CASPer: 3rd quintile. So sad...honestly losing hope. My CARS is only 128 lmao, most likely not enough to make up for the low CASPer (for Ontario schools.)

I honestly wouldn't worry, 128 cars is not bad at all, it's actually really good (you're only 1 below the median for mac, and I know a ton of people currently in medicine who couldn't score that high for the life of them). 3rd quintile casper is also not bad- you're right in the middle which should be more than enough with your gpa and cars. I'd be really surprised if you don't get an interview at mac and other ontario schools depending on ABS