Premed 101 Forums

Feelings after interview?

Kanye East

4 hours ago, DrOctopus said:

Terrible. I didn't fall for any traps but I could've came across more empathetic for sure. I'm OOP as well and I don't think the waitlist is going to move much this year considering the movements in the past 2 years and the competitiveness of the cohort this year. 

Now that I think about it, I think I fell for like 3 "traps" throughout it all it that had led my responses astray. I got sent to the shadow realm LOL.

15 minutes ago, MedicA1 said:

I personally considered the first four stations to be quite easygoing (...and I would even venture to hope that I aced them). That said, the fifth station definitely caught me off guard; I couldn’t find anything eloquent to say to the evaluator, and this, is really bad...

Same. The first 4 stations felt okay - I won't go as far as saying I aced them but I felt okay. And then... #5 came around LOL. 

2 hours ago, MedicA1 said:

I personally considered the first four stations to be quite easygoing (...and I would even venture to hope that I aced them). That said, the fifth station definitely caught me off guard; I couldn’t find anything eloquent to say to the evaluator, and this, is really bad...

I didnt even feel like I aced any station tbh! I wish I did though!

57 minutes ago, MedicA1 said:

Well, I cannot really disclose anything specific out of compliance with the NDA, but this was a (strangely worded) math-related question.

oh I see. Some people tell me to be yourself in the interviews but I am not sure my true self is what the committee wants. My version of empathy is a bit different that what we are expected to show. I believe in tough love and being truthful.... it makes me cringe when a patient calls me a MF and my response should be : "I am sorry you are feeling this way about me, I hope I can make it right."

1 hour ago, neurologist19 said:

oh I see. Some people tell me to be yourself in the interviews but I am not sure my true self is what the committee wants. My version of empathy is a bit different that what we are expected to show. I believe in tough love and being truthful.... it makes me cringe when a patient calls me a MF and my response should be : "I am sorry you are feeling this way about me, I hope I can make it right."

I’m not a med student (hopefully one day) but I am a healthcare professional so take my opinion as you wish, but I really feel like having that “tough love” personality in healthcare only works on a handful of patients. If you can find ways to be more empathetic I think that goes a long way. That being said, being empathetic doesn’t mean you let people walk all over you. If someone were to “call me a MF” I would tell them that I’m here to help them and I don’t appreciate them speaking to me that way and that if they would prefer we discuss their care at a later point then I can come back but I will not tolerate being yelled at. It’s to the point, respectful and sets boundaries, and often times I find patients are taken aback and realize how disrespectful they’re being and then apologize (not always). Regardless of your profession, there’s zero tolerance for workplace violence and that includes verbal abuse. Just my two cents from working with patients in a hospital. And I’ve seen lotsss of crazy stuff lol I’ve had patients yell, hit, kick, inappropriately touch me, had patients flip me off, I’ve been sworn at, and even had an IV needle waved around at me to threaten me. But still had to maintain professionalism, although it’s hard sometimes, especially with a needle all up in your face :lol:

13 hours ago, ceelbe said:

I’m not a med student (hopefully one day) but I am a healthcare professional so take my opinion as you wish, but I really feel like having that “tough love” personality in healthcare only works on a handful of patients. If you can find ways to be more empathetic I think that goes a long way. That being said, being empathetic doesn’t mean you let people walk all over you. If someone were to “call me a MF” I would tell them that I’m here to help them and I don’t appreciate them speaking to me that way and that if they would prefer we discuss their care at a later point then I can come back but I will not tolerate being yelled at. It’s to the point, respectful and sets boundaries, and often times I find patients are taken aback and realize how disrespectful they’re being and then apologize (not always). Regardless of your profession, there’s zero tolerance for workplace violence and that includes verbal abuse. Just my two cents from working with patients in a hospital. And I’ve seen lotsss of crazy stuff lol I’ve had patients yell, hit, kick, inappropriately touch me, had patients flip me off, I’ve been sworn at, and even had an IV needle waved around at me to threaten me. But still had to maintain professionalism, although it’s hard sometimes, especially with a needle all up in your face :lol:

Spot on.

15 hours ago, neurologist19 said:

Yeah you came off as a bit defensive here. You do want to be your true self... that doesn't mean being unempathetic. Empathy is truth but it isn't the same as sympathy and I think you are confusing the two.

On 2/22/2021 at 12:24 PM, hopefulcanadian said:

Spot on.

Yeah you came off as a bit defensive here. You do want to be your true self... that doesn't mean being unempathetic. Empathy is truth but it isn't the same as sympathy and I think you are confusing the two.

Absolutely. I do believe that there is indeed a fine line in between empathy and sympathy that one should acknowledge. Empathy allows for the patient-physician relationship to become personable (and studies have shown this to affect patients’ recovery), but should not be personified at the expense of clinical detachment. That said, the latter should not infer on your behaviour but rather form your professional (and personal) perspective of the situation.

I personally tried to put forth this trait when speaking with the actors; in the end, what needs to prevail, I think, is the human(e) interaction.

• 7 months later...