Premed 101 Forums

Countdown to April 20th

Im so stressed. I got less interviews than I wanted in my top specialty and idk what to do with my rank list. I got a few interviews in another non-surgical specialty i applied for though. I dreamed about being a surgeon for years and it feels like shit giving it up when there can be spots in the second round to do some other surgery at least. But also would be shit going unmatched and doing nothing for the year or matching to a non-surgery specialty next year. Dont want to just waste a year to be in the same place. 

Obviously ranking the interviews I got, even ranking programs that didn't interview me for my top choice specialty but idk if i should rank the other specialty. I realized I don't want to do it this month but idk if ill get in next year. Feels bad thinking about the possibility of not going to residency with my class too. Ive just been avoiding it to focus on interviewing but the deadline is coming up..

3 hours ago, carmsproblems said:

Im so stressed. I got less interviews than I wanted in my top specialty and idk what to do with my rank list. I got a few interviews in another non-surgical specialty i applied for though. I dreamed about being a surgeon for years and it feels like shit giving it up when there can be spots in the second round to do some other surgery at least. But also would be shit going unmatched and doing nothing for the year or matching to a non-surgery specialty next year. Dont want to just waste a year to be in the same place. 

Obviously ranking the interviews I got, even ranking programs that didn't interview me for my top choice specialty but idk if i should rank the other specialty. I realized I don't want to do it this month but idk if ill get in next year. Feels bad thinking about the possibility of not going to residency with my class too. Ive just been avoiding it to focus on interviewing but the deadline is coming up..

Sorry to hear the cycle wasn't ideal for you. In terms of the fears about not matching, they are completely understandable, I think we all share them in varying degrees. Especially those of us who got fewer interviews than we were hoping for.

Totally unsolicited advice, feel free to ignore: Not matching would suck a lot, but something that's been helping me ground myself a bit when I am having those fears is remembering that medicine does not encompass all of who I am and is just a slice of my life. As a person you have so much more to get out of life than just medicine/surgery and having to wait a year, while being a major disappointment with all its associated negative feelings, does not mean you cannot make the most of a year off. I very much hope you match to where you want to go and don't have to deal with that disappointment, but if the fear and anxiety becomes too much it might be helpful to think about how you could enjoy and get the most out of waiting to try again another year. I have been doing some backup planning in case things don't work out for me just so I have some kind of road map, because I know I will be feeling too much to think clearly if I don't match and I want to reassure myself that I have options. You can also then weigh whether it would be more appealing to take that year to do the backup stuff or to rank the other specialty. That might help you clarify your feelings around what goes on your ROL. Best of luck!!

5 hours ago, carmsproblems said:

But also would be shit going unmatched and doing nothing for the year or matching to a non-surgery specialty next year. Dont want to just waste a year to be in the same place. 

I would like to add that as someone who didn't match last year, my "year off" was one of the best things that ever happened to me and it seriously improved my opportunities and interview selection and quality this year.

Going unmatched is not the end of the world, it just makes you stronger and allows you to be exposed to things that you probably never even considered before. 

Feel free to message me if ever you want to hear a positive story. 

3 hours ago, Persephone said:

Totally unsolicited advice, feel free to ignore: Not matching would suck a lot, but something that's been helping me ground myself a bit when I am having those fears is remembering that medicine does not encompass all of who I am and is just a slice of my life. As a person you have so much more to get out of life than just medicine/surgery and having to wait a year, while being a major disappointment with all its associated negative feelings, does not mean you cannot make the most of a year off. I very much hope you match to where you want to go and don't have to deal with that disappointment, but if the fear and anxiety becomes too much it might be helpful to think about how you could enjoy and get the most out of waiting to try again another year. I have been doing some backup planning in case things don't work out for me just so I have some kind of road map, because I know I will be feeling too much to think clearly if I don't match and I want to reassure myself that I have options. You can also then weigh whether it would be more appealing to take that year to do the backup stuff or to rank the other specialty. That might help you clarify your feelings around what goes on your ROL. Best of luck!!

No, I appreciate any advice...The career staff are pushing me to rank my back-up specialty but I feel that they may be looking out for the best interest of the school than my actual interest. I dont even know what Id do for a whole year so i need to start planning. It was easier as a premed seeing so many people succeed after doing different backup plans, I dont actually know anyone out of med directly and some people said it will red flag me for not matching last year which will make the match harder. Idk how true it is though

Will message you @NoMatchNoProblem!

8 hours ago, Divine Comedy said:

Anyone having difficulties with finalizing their Rank Order List? I'm really struggling right now. I know what my #1 program is but not sure what to rank as my #2 or #3.

I feel u. This pretty much sums up my decision making for the #2 and #3 spots

image.jpeg.a96927d7ed6c3c98f50d578d771bfad1.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Butterfly_ said:

I can't wait for these 2 weeks to be over. Nervous and excited at the same time!!!

i just want to know i wish it was april 8th and the algorithm didn't require any human checking LOL. but its fine will just continue focusing on LMCC studying and get through.