Premed 101 Forums

Countdown to April 20th

It's crazy it's so close!  I've oddly been feeling very chill about it/not thinking about it too much, which is weird for me.  But I think I'm subconsciously starting to get nervous because I'm starting to have dreams, too - last night was one where I was back working in ICU, and the staff gave me an urgent consult to do on an unstable patient, and then I forgot to do it and was panicking, lol.  I woke up from it and legitimately thought for a second that I needed to go to the hospital to see this patient. :P Fun times haha!

2 hours ago, bread said:

It's crazy it's so close!  I've oddly been feeling very chill about it/not thinking about it too much, which is weird for me.  But I think I'm subconsciously starting to get nervous because I'm starting to have dreams, too - last night was one where I was back working in ICU, and the staff gave me an urgent consult to do on an unstable patient, and then I forgot to do it and was panicking, lol.  I woke up from it and legitimately thought for a second that I needed to go to the hospital to see this patient. :P Fun times haha!

Omfg those dreams fuckkkk me right up. Or like thinking you forgot to do an assignment and that you’re gonna fail if you don’t hand it in and you wake up frantically checking your phone aaahhh man. This time of purgatory is slowly killing me inside 

24 minutes ago, sykern said:

Omfg those dreams fuckkkk me right up. Or like thinking you forgot to do an assignment and that you’re gonna fail if you don’t hand it in and you wake up frantically checking your phone aaahhh man. This time of purgatory is slowly killing me inside 

Right?! Such a bad feeling to wake up in a panic like that! :P

Surreal that we are only 5 days away now! So close but so far away, haha

5 minutes ago, bellejolie said:

I’m so tired I can’t study or focus so I’m watching girls and eating pasta with garlic tomato sauce and Parmesan. Ugh. I’m gonna gain 10 lbs in the next 5 days. 

Yea, I find today especially hard for no idea what reason. Prank Encounters show on Netflix is very entertaining and distracting. 

This email was sent to all preclerks and clerks at Western this morning:

Good morning Schulich Meds,

As you know, CaRMS Match Day is around the corner.  It is likely that you will hear details of results and perhaps whispers of how many of our learners did not match to a residency program.   We appreciate and understand this information has an effect on you.  Please know our priority is supporting our unmatched learners as they digest this information and prepare for Round 2.  Know that we will provide data on the 2021 match to learners in earlier cohorts sometime following the second round.    As well, please remember that each match year is unique and dependent on a number of different variables and, as such, no implications can be made for future matches. 

We hope you are continuing to take care of yourself, and each other, as the end of the academic year draws near, and we look forward to sharing CaRMS information with you at a later date.

Thanks for your understanding, patience and most importantly your sensitivity to our graduating class.

Take care,

The Learner Experience Team

34 minutes ago, BuildAdditionalPylons said:

As you know, CaRMS Match Day is around the corner.  It is likely that you will hear details of results and perhaps whispers of how many of our learners did not match to a residency program.   We appreciate and understand this information has an effect on you.  Please know our priority is supporting our unmatched learners as they digest this information and prepare for Round 2.  Know that we will provide data on the 2021 match to learners in earlier cohorts sometime following the second round.    As well, please remember that each match year is unique and dependent on a number of different variables and, as such, no implications can be made for future matches. 

We hope you are continuing to take care of yourself, and each other, as the end of the academic year draws near, and we look forward to sharing CaRMS information with you at a later date.

Thanks for your understanding, patience and most importantly your sensitivity to our graduating class.

Take care,

Oh wow, does this mean that programs know in advance of even April 19??

22 hours ago, bread said:

That's great! In your dream you've already matched haha.

8 hours ago, BuildAdditionalPylons said:

Take care,

Omg and they didn't send that email to the fourth years...the fact that they sent such an email seems to suggests that Western did poorly :(

30 minutes ago, ihsh said:

Omg and they didn't send that email to the fourth years...the fact that they sent such an email seems to suggests that Western did poorly :(

Nope, did not send to the fourth years. One of my friends in second year sent it to me yesterday AM and I was like, wooooooow haha

Edit: I'm just realizing that I think you also go to western so my post was not needed bc you would already know we didnt get the email lmfao

5 minutes ago, bellejolie said:

The data is available I’m pretty sure at this point (I know some people in CFMS and they were supposed to have a meeting with UGME and carms today but got pushed to Monday). Not sure what the email means have they ever sent that before?? Upper years would know. 

I don't remember ever getting an email like this in past years. I think western might also have a good idea of the percentage of people who might not match based on 1) apparently there are some of my classmates who didnt get any interviews at all :( 2) they asked us to email them if we had less than 3 interviews to help us prepare better/work through a contingency plan. So even if the data isnt available yet, I think they might have a good idea of what's going on behind the scenes based on those two reasons

Just now, aray623 said:

I don't remember ever getting an email like this in past years. I think western might also have a good idea of the percentage of people who might not match based on 1) apparently there are some of my classmates who didnt get any interviews at all :( 2) they asked us to email them if we had less than 3 interviews to help us prepare better/work through a contingency plan. So even if the data isnt available yet, I think they might have a good idea of what's going on behind the scenes based on those two reasons

Ok makes sense - mcgill had something similar so it definitely is a trend across schools. Lots got less interviews than normal this year. But fear not - it just means there will likely be more unmatched spots in specialties than just fam med this year I think. Maybe in less desirable places but they will exist. 

I think they’re just reminding the other students that not everyone matches so it’s important to be compassionate when interacting with the 4th years about this topic.

I can only imagine how much it sucks to go unmatched, but it would be much worse if on top of that I have to answer to a bunch of people messaging me about what I matched to.

43 minutes ago, Sauna said:

I think they’re just reminding the other students that not everyone matches so it’s important to be compassionate when interacting with the 4th years about this topic.

I can only imagine how much it sucks to go unmatched, but it would be much worse if on top of that I have to answer to a bunch of people messaging me about what I matched to.

I would agree- easy to read into that something that was not intended. 

10 hours ago, BuildAdditionalPylons said:

whispers of how many of our learners did not match to a residency program

10 hours ago, BuildAdditionalPylons said:

As well, please remember that each match year is unique and dependent on a number of different variables and, as such, no implications can be made for future matches. 

These are the punchlines that give the email a negative connotation, especially if an email like this has not been sent out in previous years. It could also be the result of years of push from previous no match years telling their faculty that they are not receiving the support they deserve and this is a new way of respecting them. 

1 hour ago, bellejolie said:

mcgill had something similar so it definitely is a trend across schools.

Would you be able to provide this email that way we can compare between the two?

16 minutes ago, NoMatchNoProblem said:

These are the punchlines that give the email a negative connotation, especially if an email like this has not been sent out in previous years. It could also be the result of years of push from previous no match years telling their faculty that they are not receiving the support they deserve and this is a new way of respecting them. 

Would you be able to provide this email that way we can compare between the two?

Sorry the email we received was offering an emergency support session back on March 30th when IM interviews came out because of how few interviews people got in comparison. We haven’t received any other communications recently. Apologies for the confusion.