Premed 101 Forums

Western Interview Invites/Regrets 2021-2022

1 hour ago, Fun_Mushroom1998 said:

also, for what it is worth, there is a form that was posted on Twitter by a western med student to invite ACCESS students for interview prep. That form is due Feb 5th. Take it as you will but I guess we will definitely know this week :confused:

Can you link the tweet? Thanks

Hi everyone, Schulich Access here! Sorry for the confusion. We are a group of 1st year medical students unaffiliated with Schulich's official ACCESS program. A couple points to clarify:

1. Schulich Access is open to ANYONE who feels they fall into the category of "underrepresented" as defined in the form. You do not need to have applied through the official ACCESS pathway!

2. We are not affiliated with Schulich Admissions in any way! Just like you guys, we thought interviews were being released last week so we tentatively set the deadline to February 5th. Interviews seem to be being released later than anticipated so we changed the deadline to February 11th.

Hope that clears things up. Once interviews are out we'll make a post here with more details and where you can ask any questions. Best of luck this cycle, you got this! Hope to see you guys at at our interview practice ;)

2 minutes ago, n-methyltyramine said:

Yup, something about the fact that it was supposed to go out last Thursday (based on historic trends) has made the waiting this week so much worse. Honestly I wasn't even thinking about it much until last Thursday. 

Anyone else in the same boat?

Considering dentistry also came out on Thursday and they came out on the same day last year it’s a little odd that we’ve heard nothing since then

Honestly this probably either means that covid delayed their essay reviewing process like what happened to Calgary or there was just way more applications this cycle to review. Also interviews are still over a month away, it seems like most Ontario schools except mac are now reducing the amount of time you get to practice for interviews like uoft, ottawa and queens give like 2.5 weeks to practice now. 

1 minute ago, Hanboy123 said:

Honestly this probably either means that covid delayed their essay reviewing process like what happened to Calgary or there was just way more applications this cycle to review. Also interviews are still over a month away, it seems like most Ontario schools except mac are now reducing the amount of time you get to practice for interviews like uoft, ottawa and queens give like 2.5 weeks to practice now. 

I doubt it's due to covid (things weren't delayed last year, when covid was way worse)

But yeah, it's probably due to the fact that western has fairly low GPA cut-offs to be considered for application review (for a Canadian school)+ 8 essay per applicant. So even a small increase in the number of applicants is likely gonna lead to a delay. 

I wonder where all the new applicants are coming from this cycle (all the Ontario schools reported more applications). More OOP applicants maybe? 

3 minutes ago, Hanboy123 said:

Has there been any reports of increased application numbers around Canada this cycle? I know last year there was a significant rise in the number of applications but have not seen much about number of applications for this ongoing cycle. 

3 minutes ago, n-methyltyramine said:

I doubt it's due to covid (things weren't delayed last year, when covid was way worse)

But yeah, it's probably due to the fact that western has fairly low GPA cut-offs to be considered for application review (for a Canadian school)+ 8 essay per applicant. So even a small increase in the number of applicants is likely gonna lead to a delay. 

I wonder where all the new applicants are coming from this cycle (all the Ontario schools reported more applications). More OOP applicants maybe? 

Yea no idea it became so competitive this year. Even an increase of like 500 applicants means that there are 4000-4500 more essays to read which is acc quite a lot lol. Also I mentioned Covid because the sudden increase in cases in December and Jan could have disrupted them. But more likely its because of number of applicants. 

1 minute ago, Hanboy123 said:

Yea no idea it became so competitive this year. Even an increase of like 500 applicants means that there are 4000-4500 more essays to read which is acc quite a lot lol.

True. But honestly, it's their fault. They could just ask us to write 4 essays, instead of 8 (since we have to do 2 essays for each of the 'core values' they list). 

Just now, greysweater said:

Even if applications are increased they adjust their MCAT cut offs yearly due to the competitiveness of the applicant pool so that they are left with the same # of apps to review!!! I think this is just admin delays and no need to stress over the application numbers.

Perfect, I won't stress over the application numbers now I can just stress about moving MCAT targets! :D 

1 minute ago, greysweater said:

Even if applications are increased they adjust their MCAT cut offs yearly due to the competitiveness of the applicant pool so that they are left with the same # of apps to review!!! I think this is just admin delays and no need to stress over the application numbers.

I mean but how much could they increase their cutoffs by, they cant make the cutoffs all 129/129/129.