Premed 101 Forums

The Official Procrastination Thread

bj89

Wow, nice procrastination / comeback stories. I'll add another one I just thought of. I took this psych course last semester that had online lectures. So obviously I didn't go to the lectures (who would?) and I didn't watch them online either until 2 days before the midterm. So 2 days before I started a lecture watching marathon, which I finished the next day. Then I cracked open the book, which I finished reading the morning of the exam. Turns out I scored a 97% (not final, on the midterm)!! Thats the best of both worlds right there. Most of the time its like I had less than full course load. I spent in total like 5 days studying for that course last semester.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's times like these that make me happy I'm a grad student.

Then I remember that I have to write a massive thesis in the next couple of months that only 4 people will probably ever read: me, my advisor, my commitee members, and my mom (and she'll just pretend she read it).

*sigh*

Then I remember that I have to write a massive thesis in the next couple of months that only 4 people will probably ever read: me, my advisor, my commitee members, and my mom (and she'll just pretend she read it).

*sigh*

How about being a grad student taking undergrad courses? It's like the best* of both worlds!

*and by best, of course, I mean worst.

*swerves into oncoming traffic*

As the most dedicated procrastinator I know I felt compelled to contribute to this thread (aside from the fact that my essay on hyperreality is getting closer to being due and farther from being done).

I have gotten through my sociology degree without ever starting a paper until the night before it was due. It's progressively gotten worse, and this year I wait until a few hours before the due date and then start.

It worked mostly, I pull A's, but this year is different. I may get kicked out of the honours program if I don't get a B+ in this scary theory class.

shoot.

________

clear trichomes

As the most dedicated procrastinator I know I felt compelled to contribute to this thread (aside from the fact that my essay on hyperreality is getting closer to being due and farther from being done).

I have gotten through my sociology degree without ever starting a paper until the night before it was due. It's progressively gotten worse, and this year I wait until a few hours before the due date and then start.

It worked mostly, I pull A's, but this year is different. I may get kicked out of the honours program if I don't get a B+ in this scary theory class.

shoot.

Do you ever have that feeling that one day your procrastination will catch up with you? I had that feeling all undergrad. It just so happened it did catch up to me this semester.....with biochem (I bombed my midterm) :(. Once in a while everyone gets caught.

*sigh*

lol I haven't found an undergrad course in the last few years to be too intimidating.

The problem with this one... after the midterm I relaxed, and I can't remember another course where the 2nd half was so significantly more intense than the first half.

The difference between a few t-tests, chi square vs. like 8 different anova/manova's and all of which are variations of each other with very subtle differences/corrections/names for things.

Thankfully, I've padded my mark enough going in that the fall-out shouldn't be toooooo bad.

And if the long answer reports are on linear regression and a one way anova I could actually do well... haha. That statement has officially jinxed me for a split plots anova with an interaction effect lol... such is life I suppose.

I went into my stats exam with a 96% and came out with an 85% :D. But I had 3 exams back to back to back: history of plagues (health sci), stats, histology. All they did was make me write my plagues exam 3 hours earlier and held me in the registrar's office until the actual exam was done :mad:. I was like "I can't study histo while you people talk about your hair!!!"

And if the long answer reports are on linear regression and a one way anova I could actually do well... haha. That statement has officially jinxed me for a split plots anova with an interaction effect lol... such is life I suppose.

haha, I'm a psychic.... split plot anova with a significant interaction effect....

I think I managed to get through it ok.... on to the next one.

haha, I'm a psychic.... split plot anova with a significant interaction effect....

I think I managed to get through it ok.... on to the next one.

I saw that and laughed, I skipped learning how to write the sample report for that and ONLY that! :P but I got through it well enough, wrote some BS that I thought was the answer (didn't calculate anything lol, sorry Tukey, i completely forgot what stupid SS's I needed for the pooled MSe) and turns out I was right when I checked with the class genius :-) Winery tour education last week and having a question on wine tasting ftw!!

I saw that and laughed, I skipped learning how to write the sample report for that and ONLY that! :P but I got through it well enough, wrote some BS that I thought was the answer (didn't calculate anything lol, sorry Tukey, i completely forgot what stupid SS's I needed for the pooled MSe) and turns out I was right when I checked with the class genius :-) Winery tour education last week and having a question on wine tasting ftw!!

Haha!

I wrote that maybe they were drinking a pinot noir which shouldn't be decanted and that's why the red wine had better scores with less breathing time, or that they bought cheap wine and have an immature palate.

I also didn't realize there were conditions for using R^2 adjusted and I wrote that, "I thought you always use R Adjusted but I'll just take a random guess" haha thankfully it was only 1 mark.

I figure if I can make the marker laugh during my errors it will lighten them up for the rest of it.... haha actually I just get a bit loopy after studying stats all day and write a 3 hour night exams.

I ALWAYS do that. Works sometimes, too

I once had a prof actually say to the class that we needed to do something on our exams to make us stand out, to seem like more than just another paper he had to mark. He recommended the use of jokes, smiley faces, etc., to get his attention and make him want to give us better marks. Ever since then, I've done stuff like that on almost all my exams (except the multiple-choice ones, lol), and it always seems to work out.

I once had a prof actually say to the class that we needed to do something on our exams to make us stand out, to seem like more than just another paper he had to mark. He recommended the use of jokes, smiley faces, etc., to get his attention and make him want to give us better marks. Ever since then, I've done stuff like that on almost all my exams (except the multiple-choice ones, lol), and it always seems to work out.

I suggest stapling a $10 bill to your paper.;)

9:21 am. Justttt about to start the day's worth of studying. Here's what I have my on plate:

studying all morning-afternoon.

3pm-6pm today - chem 2300: physical chemistry - 60%. then about 4-5 hours studying

tomorrow morning, 9am - bioc 4200: oxidation and biological energetics - 70%

fml!!!

Archived