Premed 101 Forums

Uwo Interview Invites 2017

Thank you for the kind words!

I interviewed at UBC (but I think a miracle would be needed to for an acceptance). My Personal statement was definitely rushed, and didn't have much ECs for the ABS (I tried to write what I could though).

Definitely need to get out of my comfort zone in terms of exposing myself to new things :)

Do you think I should redo my cDAT?

They take your most recent DAT and I think your DAT right now is good. Your GPA is also high enough for admission. Only rewrite if you feel like you should have done better.

Do some ECs and maybe a 1 year masters is my opinion.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your stats are really good! Don't give up. Hopefully you got an invite at another school, but if not, maybe consider a 1 year master's and taking a good look at your personal statement (I can help you edit it for next year if you like) and I think your chances look very good. 

I interviewed at UBC (but I think a miracle would be needed to for an acceptance). My Personal statement was definitely rushed, and didn't have much ECs for the ABS (I tried to write what I could though).

Definitely need to get out of my comfort zone in terms of exposing myself to new things :)

Hey,

I don't think a 1-year Masters will add any value to your application to be quite frank. Hopefully you get that UBC position. However, in the event that you do not, take that year off for yourself. Perhaps travel in the first few weeks to get your mind off things. Then do research, volunteering, until the next cycle.

Don't bother with the DAT. It's a tremendous waste of time and counts for very little towards your application. Definitely write a very well-polished PS/ABS, because that seems to play a huge role in admissions this year. 

Best wishes. 

They take your most recent DAT and I think your DAT right now is good. Your GPA is also high enough for admission. Only rewrite if you feel like you should have done better.

Do some ECs and maybe a 1 year masters is my opinion.

I scored a 21RC 20AA cdat (which is what UWO used) and I've followed that with a 23RC and 23AA Adat. I know a higher score than my cDAT is within reach, BUT like MolarBond mentioned, it is a bit of a waste of time and can be a bit of a crapshoot. Especially given the horror stories we are hearing of how the RC is changing and becoming HARD. For that reason, I think I'll hold on the DAT for now. 

Thank again for the kind words, and massive apology for derailing this thread. I will DM if any concerns/questions arise. Best of luck everyone !

I am invited for UWO DDS (and UofT DDS) and was wondering how you felt about the program. Do you like it, did you choose between UWO and another school, and how did you decide on dentistry?

I chose UWO over UofT. Smaller class size, better faculty:student ratio, new sim lab renovations to name a few. Also talked to a lot of D4s and recent grads from both schools - UWO students seemed to bash their own school to a lesser extent. Honestly, each class has very different dynamics. My class is definitely not considered a “gunner” class as we do try to help each other out in practical preparation and studying for exams all the time. After all, it makes all of us look great if everyone from the class performs really well. We created a class Facebook and google doc since first week to share resources from study materials, textbooks, reminder for assignments/upcoming tests, volunteering/research opportunities, etc. Even though there are numerous smaller social groups within the class, we definitely get along pretty well throughout the years. Exam schedule is tough for D1 - we had 13 exams in December and almost 2-3+ exams every week from Jan-March. It sounds horrible, but believe me you do get used to the crazy exam schedule. If you are at Western and you have 0 intention of specializing, then everything is pretty manageable. Other than spending most of the nights study at the school library back in D1 winter, I tend to hangout with friends and go watch movies when I feel stressed out. London has a pretty good night life as it’s college town.

I've always been an extremely positive person throughout my life and have found that an individual's confidence in their smile is directly tied to how freely they are able to express their happiness. As such, I find my passion for dentistry stemming from my need to share my positivity and allow others to outwardly show their inner happiness. In addition to being able to run my own business one day, work with my hands, and meet and form personal connections with people all day, I also get to change people's lives for the better!

Thanks for your post on the thread regarding Schulich Interviews. I was wondering what general tips you have for interview preparation and interview day? I know the interview style has changed and is no longer CDA based questions, so I'm a little unclear on what should be expected.

Western uses traditional interview style now so using CDA practice materials is not the best use of your time imo. Do some research on school before the interview, read RCDSO ethical/professional values if you have time. Most importantly, be yourself and the rest will take care of itself.

Probably 240-250 invites. 56 accepted, I'd say 80 waitlisted, and the rest rejected. I think last year 38 people got in off the waitlist, which I was not one of unfortunately lmao

Me too..waitlisted and no call. From what I know, there are at least 25 people who interviewed last year and have interviews again (includes waitlisted and rejected).

I am invited for UWO DDS (and UofT DDS) and was wondering how you felt about the program. Do you like it, did you choose between UWO and another school, and how did you decide on dentistry?

I chose UWO over UofT. Smaller class size, better faculty:student ratio, new sim lab renovations to name a few. Also talked to a lot of D4s and recent grads from both schools - UWO students seemed to bash their own school to a lesser extent. Honestly, each class has very different dynamics. My class is definitely not considered a “gunner” class as we do try to help each other out in practical preparation and studying for exams all the time. After all, it makes all of us look great if everyone from the class performs really well. We created a class Facebook and google doc since first week to share resources from study materials, textbooks, reminder for assignments/upcoming tests, volunteering/research opportunities, etc. Even though there are numerous smaller social groups within the class, we definitely get along pretty well throughout the years. Exam schedule is tough for D1 - we had 13 exams in December and almost 2-3+ exams every week from Jan-March. It sounds horrible, but believe me you do get used to the crazy exam schedule. If you are at Western and you have 0 intention of specializing, then everything is pretty manageable. Other than spending most of the nights study at the school library back in D1 winter, I tend to hangout with friends and go watch movies when I feel stressed out. London has a pretty good night life as it’s college town.

I've always been an extremely positive person throughout my life and have found that an individual's confidence in their smile is directly tied to how freely they are able to express their happiness. As such, I find my passion for dentistry stemming from my need to share my positivity and allow others to outwardly show their inner happiness. In addition to being able to run my own business one day, work with my hands, and meet and form personal connections with people all day, I also get to change people's lives for the better!

Thanks for your post on the thread regarding Schulich Interviews. I was wondering what general tips you have for interview preparation and interview day? I know the interview style has changed and is no longer CDA based questions, so I'm a little unclear on what should be expected.

Western uses traditional interview style now so using CDA practice materials is not the best use of your time imo. Do some research on school before the interview, read RCDSO ethical/professional values if you have time. Most importantly, be yourself and the rest will take care of itself.

I saw some posts where people said it felt almost identical to a CDA interview. Did you think this as well?

I saw some posts where people said it felt almost identical to a CDA interview. Did you think this as well?

Not sure if they're being all secretive about the interview this year again, but I can say that practicing CDA interviews for UofT was basically all the preparation I did for both UofT and UWO and it seemed to be enough :)

Hey,

I don't think a 1-year Masters will add any value to your application to be quite frank. Hopefully you get that UBC position. However, in the event that you do not, take that year off for yourself. Perhaps travel in the first few weeks to get your mind off things. Then do research, volunteering, until the next cycle.

Don't bother with the DAT. It's a tremendous waste of time and counts for very little towards your application. Definitely write a very well-polished PS/ABS, because that seems to play a huge role in admissions this year. 

Best wishes. 

Molar bond makes some good points. Def no point redoing your DAT. There really isn't much evidence that UWO values graduate degrees per se, but the breadth of experiences which a Master's provides may be an asset in the interview or statement. In the end, just follow your interests and don't give up, I only got in about 3 years after finishing my undergrad and I'm honestly glad it worked out that way in hindsight.

Goodluck!!

Invite!

OOP

currently 4th year undergrad

GPA: 3.86 (88%?)

DAT: 23AA (26RC) 20PAT

EC's: pianist/composer, some volunteering, some lab work, some research, little dental shadowing experience, tutoring

personally I've always been a gifted writer so I felt my personal statements were great (not to brag).

...however, I will be rejecting my interview offer! I have just been accepted to UBC DMD so good luck to whoever gets my spot! Best wishes  :P

Very grateful for the opportunity.

Invite

Time-stamp: 12:24 PM 

IP, UG 4

GPA: 92%
DAT: Above cutoff of 19RC

ECs: Varied and extensive. Youth advocacy, research (several abstracts), shadowing and other unique dental experiences, sports, lots of leadership, employment, etc.

Invite!

OOP

currently 4th year undergrad

GPA: 3.86 (88%?)

DAT: 23AA (26RC) 20PAT

EC's: pianist/composer, some volunteering, some lab work, some research, little dental shadowing experience, tutoring

personally I've always been a gifted writer so I felt my personal statements were great (not to brag).

...however, I will be rejecting my interview offer! I have just been accepted to UBC DMD so good luck to whoever gets my spot! Best wishes  :P

why not just pay the deposit 12k and interview? if u get in here u end up saving way more money over the 4 years aha

Archived