Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

guys i know we've seen a lot of different numbers but CASPER is still a blackbox. People could have prepped together and still done differently because they vibed with the situations differently. Some could have gotten a Mac interview but not an interview at Ottawa because of their ABS. There's just so many different factors and people can think they did well on the CASPER but in fact they might have not done as well as they think, despite getting interviews at other schools that require CASPER. 

2 minutes ago, imsotired said:

guys i know we've seen a lot of different numbers but CASPER is still a blackbox. People could have prepped together and still done differently because they vibed with the situations differently. Some could have gotten a Mac interview but not an interview at Ottawa because of their ABS. There's just so many different factors and people can think they did well on the CASPER but in fact they might have not done as well as they think, despite getting interviews at other schools that require CASPER. 

I think someone mentioned that Ottawa is becoming more abs heavy as well. So an interview at ottawa might not  mean high capser.

1 minute ago, DarkRoastBlaq said:

I’m predicting buttons for Western and Toronto applicants come out on Monday. Dental students received their offers today...so maybe these schools were preoccupied with giving out dent buttons. 

There's no way OMSAS doesnt have all school's acceptance lists 2 business days before D-Day

12 minutes ago, MDLD said:

I think someone mentioned that Ottawa is becoming more abs heavy as well. So an interview at ottawa might not  mean high capser.

Hey honest question here, sorry if its dumb. Does Ottawa state anywhere that they look at ABS? I thought I looked at their website and saw nothing about ABS. Again, sorry if this is common knowledge haha

1 minute ago, RejectedAgain said:

Hey honest question here, sorry if its dumb. Does Ottawa state anywhere that they look at ABS? I thought I looked at their website and saw nothing about ABS. Again, sorry if this is common knowledge haha

"The selection criteria is based on eligibility requirements, all of the academic parameters as well as performance on CASPerTM, review of the autobiographical sketch, and finally by the results of the interview performance combined with the academic performance."

From their website under Selection Polices. I tried to screen shot it but it says the file is to large. 

I think I've just heard that Ottawa has started putting more weight on ABS. Can't confirm though. 

1 minute ago, MDLD said:

"The selection criteria is based on eligibility requirements, all of the academic parameters as well as performance on CASPerTM, review of the autobiographical sketch, and finally by the results of the interview performance combined with the academic performance."

From their website under Selection Polices. I tried to screen shot it but it says the file is to large. 

I think I've just heard that Ottawa has started putting more weight on ABS. Can't confirm though. 

Can't react to anymore posts aha, but tysm!

3 minutes ago, RejectedAgain said:

On their website they say that the interview invites are based on wGPA and "non-academic assessment" which implies some amalgamation of ABS, CASPer and LORs. But I was interviewed at Ottawa too without Mac with otherwise pretty high stats which makes me think that Ottawa doesn't weigh CASPer as heavily.

11 minutes ago, MDLD said:

Is this post interview? If so, then do you get selected based on everything listed above plus the combo score of GPA and interview?

6 minutes ago, theinbetween said:

Is this post interview? If so, then do you get selected based on everything listed above plus the combo score of GPA and interview?

Pretty sure post interview its just WGPA and Interview. But all else being equal then they might look at other things. 

Just now, DrOtter said:

Pretty sure post interview its just WGPA and Interview. But all else being equal then they might look at other things. 

Yes. Post-interview acceptance is based on the interview and wGPA. Applicants are ranked based on their interview, scored out of 4 (in 0.5 increments: 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, ...), and their wGPA calculated to the 3rd decimal place. Essentially, all applicants with a 4/4 and 3.5/4 interview score are accepted. Those with lower interview scores are placed on the waitlist and ranked from top to bottom based on their wGPA. 

3 minutes ago, pureblue said:

post interview is 100% interview but they have discrete "bins", so ties occur frequently. wGPA is used as a tiebreaker. If wGPA (to 3 decimal places) and interview are equal, then bilingual candidates are preferred.

Hmm, bilingualism comes into play? I have never heard of that before with UO. 

I wonder how many people are in the top 2 bins out of the 575. 

8 minutes ago, theinbetween said:

Ah yikes. I really hope my darn 3.855 is going to kick me in the butt. I keep going through all the threads of past UO acceptances. I have yet to find anyone with a 3.85 :( 

Do you know how a 3.90 wGPA fares? I read somewhere that last year the average accepted wGPA was 3.94 (though definitely not to say we can't make it).

2 minutes ago, MDLD said:

im 3.852 :(

Oh!!! Finally!!!! One person! It's so painful that darn .55. I really hope our interviews were good enough that this tiny little 0.1 aspect of our entire life does not come into play. But the thought of it kills me especially because I finished my degree back in 2014 and there is no way to change it :(