Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Waitlist Party 2020

3 minutes ago, Lottery2020 said:

Yeah like someone could be the last person on the waitlist and they wouldn't know... kinda prefer Western’s way of good/normal/bad waitlists 

Yeah, in that way people don't have to meaninglessly wait for if they are at the bottom of the waitlist. I think they should really release the waitlist ranking like some other schools do, especially considering the waitlist is random this year and there is no way for us to estimate our position based on our stats, and the fact that the waitlist got gigantic this year.

4 minutes ago, MedDragon said:

Yeah, in that way people don't have to meaninglessly wait for if they are at the bottom of the waitlist. I think they should really release the waitlist ranking like some other schools do, especially considering the waitlist is random this year and there is no way for us to estimate our position based on our stats, and the fact that the waitlist got gigantic this year.

In keeping with past practice, McMaster does not provide information on the number of applicants on the waitlist or on an individual’s waitlist position.

I compiled a bit of the data. If those with unknown status are kind enough to let us know what they will be doing, it would be much appreciated

Accepting offer: 7
Rejecting offer: 4
Rejecting waitlist: 2
Accepted but unknown status: 14

----------------------------------------------
takasugi (Accepting offer)
short_stack (Accepting offer)
fingerscrossed2020 (Accepting offer)
Fakeabat (Accepting offer)
ancef (Accepting offer)
vmed88 (Accepting offer)
brattatat (Accepting offer)

Applicant95 (Declining offer)
Peanuts29 (Declining offer)
ready2go (Declining offer)
FinallyAccepted23 (Declining offer)

Psych (Accepted unknown)
Neuroresearch (Accepted unknown)
wolverine123 (Accepted unknown)
HeyMrSnowman (Accepted unknown)
LurkerUntilNow (Accepted unknown)
pureblue (Accepted unknown)
dontRme (Accepted unknown)
Toaster Strudel (Accepted unknown)
Yellow15 (Accepted unknown - waiting to get off Dal WL)
RejectedAgain (Accepted unknown)
Cloneable (Accepted unknown)
Alegobeh2 (Accepted unknown)
brokenwings (Accepted unknown)
DoctorSisyphus (Accepted unknown)

MD_Dream97 (Rejecting Waitlist)
TheStern (Rejecting Waitlist)

24 minutes ago, GamingMD said:

Kinda sad that the waitlist order is also randomised since that means I don't know where I rank in it smh

tbf you wouldn't really know where you rank in the list anyways even if it wasn't randomized. Unfortunately just have to wait and see and try to do things to keep your mind off of it! The waitlist moves a lot each year so hang tight.  :)

In previous WLparties there were immediate posts from rejected applicants.  The FAQ email says that some applicants were rejected but it looks like they are expecting a fair amount of rejection too so upped the waitlist substantially. 

The reasons quoted for the lottery system were unconvincing:

• Fears of technical issues by introducing a virtual process on short notice. ( please join the 21stC) 
  • Ensuring all applicants have internet access. ( seriously? even the cave dwelling trolls have internet) 
  • Most of the interviewers are busy working with public health during the pandemic.(hmm UoT et al didn't have this issue) 
  • The lottery reduces potential bias and will select the most diverse group.( If bias is a concern then why have interviews in the first place)

2 hours ago, justamom said:

Ensuring all applicants have internet access. ( seriously? even the cave dwelling trolls have internet) 

Hi! I am not saying that I agree with McMaster's approach but I do want to say that this specifically is not true... My mum works in education in a rural-ish area of Ontario and has actually been working hard to get resources to students that have very unreliable or even NO internet at their houses. While for you and me it may seem like everyone has internet and while students may have internet at school, moving home with the pandemic may have significantly changed people's conditions! I also know people who struggled with having university exams online for this reason! Hope this offers a different perspective :)

6 minutes ago, ejvrei said:

Hi! I am not saying that I agree with McMaster's approach but I do want to say that this specifically is not true... My mum works in education in a rural-ish area of Ontario and has actually been working hard to get resources to students that have very unreliable or even NO internet at their houses. While for you and me it may seem like everyone has internet and while students may have internet at school, moving home with the pandemic may have significantly changed people's conditions! I also know people who struggled with having university exams online for this reason! Hope this offers a different perspective :)

Well yes it does ..very insightful.But how does that bode for these students who then have to complete the first part of this course online? 

4 minutes ago, justamom said:

Well yes it does ..very insightful.But how does that bode for these students who then have to complete the first part of this course online? 

I would assume that those people would work with McMaster to set up a more accessible solution the way lots of schools have been working with students! They may also have the time to work out a solution with their family that they maybe couldn't have worked out with the shorter notice that would have been given for interviews. Again, I don't agree with McMaster's decision fully, I just wanted to state that ensuring all applicants have internet access is a valid concern for McMaster to have had (although they likely could have found other solutions as I'm sure other schools had to do)

6 hours ago, William Osler said:

You dont actively accept to be on the waitlist like at UWO

You have two weeks to decide whether to accept an actual offer

If I'm accepting Macs offer, do I have to reject UWO's waitlist offer on the student portal? Or will it automatically remove me if I don't respond to them/accept Mac?

24 minutes ago, takasugi said:

If I'm accepting Macs offer, do I have to reject UWO's waitlist offer on the student portal? Or will it automatically remove me if I don't respond to them/accept Mac?

You could do either. If you accept Macs offer you might as well reject the waitlist for UWO so it can move for others. If you dont respond by a certain time, then youll be taken off of the waitlist regardless

11 hours ago, nrcplstake said:

Hey all! Just got waitlisted, thought I'd make this to keep track of everything and keep each other company. 

Historically the OP of the waitlist party has always gotten in, so keep us updated when you receive your acceptance nrcplstake!!!!