Premed 101 Forums

Countdown to Match Day!

41 minutes ago, futuredoc43 said:

When do the emails come in today for no-match? 12 pm EST?

Your school will be notified at 12 PM EST. When you get that email depends on the school. Some schools notify you right away, some at the end of day, some don't.

Alexa Play "The Final Countdown"

Just a reminder (to myself and my peers) to be kind to yourself. We have all worked really hard to be where we are and the outcome tomorrow does not define our worth. Regardless of outcome, I hope you all get your free ice cream cone from DQ tomorrow ;)

The very best of luck to everyone, hope the universe works out in our favour <3

25 minutes ago, anon7889 said:

If we haven't got an email yet, is it safe to say we matched?

Depends on your school's policy and whether you opt-in or not. It is your school that will notify you of whether you matched or not. Some will do both, some will only notify if you go unmatched.

5 hours ago, wannabdoctor said:

Alexa Play "The Final Countdown"

Just a reminder (to myself and my peers) to be kind to yourself. We have all worked really hard to be where we are and the outcome tomorrow does not define our worth. Regardless of outcome, I hope you all get your free ice cream cone from DQ tomorrow ;)

The very best of luck to everyone, hope the universe works out in our favour <3

Wait what’s this about free ice cream lmao

15 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

It's a weird breakdown - Alberta FM programs (after so much doom and gloom) did so much better than Ontario ones. The "super competitive" IM year shook out largely the same as last year in English Canada. 

So weird, especially considering AB family med did horribly last year. I wonder if they changed their interview and ranking methods be be more broad in light of last year’s results. I have absolutely zero insider info for that program though.

35 minutes ago, ChemPetE said:

So weird, especially considering AB family med did horribly last year. I wonder if they changed their interview and ranking methods be be more broad in light of last year’s results. I have absolutely zero insider info for that program though.

The interview selection and ranking on the program’s side was never the issue, at least not at the UofA. I am pretty sure they were not being picky. The issue was not enough applicants were actually ranking the programs high enough to match to them. It would be hard to argue it was a problem with program quality, again at least not UofA, which is a pretty great program. I think location desirability and political climate / poor perception of Alberta played the larger role. 

I suspect the improved match rate for AB FM has more to do with a gradual change in perception (Ontario was in the news about FM a lot more, Alberta has consistently good cost of living compared to much of Canada, is a pretty good place to practice medicine resource wise, docs are generally happy in AB when they post about lifestyle, cost of living, etc. in the financial independence FB group, etc.) and the programs being allowed to take a higher number of IMGs the first round.

Edit: perhaps applicants are also looking at the improved fees structures in BC and Manitoba in the last year, along with the fact the AB is already one of the best places to bill for FM in Canada, and thinking moving out west in general is not a bad plan. 

17 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

The interview selection and ranking on the program’s side was never the issue, at least not at the UofA. I am pretty sure they were not being picky. The issue was not enough applicants were actually ranking the programs high enough to match to them. It would be hard to argue it was a problem with program quality, again at least not UofA, which is a pretty great program. I think location desirability and political climate / poor perception of Alberta played the larger role. 

I suspect the improved match rate for AB FM has more to do with a gradual change in perception (Ontario was in the news about FM a lot more, Alberta has consistently good cost of living compared to much of Canada, is a pretty good place to practice medicine resource wise, docs are generally happy in AB when they post about lifestyle, cost of living, etc. in the financial independence FB group, etc.) and the programs being allowed to take a higher number of IMGs the first round.

Edit: perhaps applicants are also looking at the improved fees structures in BC and Manitoba in the last year, along with the fact the AB is already one of the best places to bill for FM in Canada, and thinking moving out west in general is not a bad plan. 

Interesting! Thank you for the insight. My speculation is entirely unfounded then

19 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

AB real estate is red hot for similar reasons. People fed up with Ontario prices are moving out west. Last year there were 2 residents where I trained, both are now practicing in AB. At least for my area, ON is notorious for lower pay (376K vs 500+K), higher taxes, and almost inevitably requiring fellowship to practice. A lot of grads who stay are IMGs, who either has to do ROS or due to family reasons cannot leave GTA.

46 minutes ago, innocentius said:

plenty of IMGs waiting in the wings...

It's a downward spiral in interest, and subsequently income.

FM is already looking like a bad deal for most CMGs, resulting in lower interest, resulting in more IMGs, resulting in lower prestige and income, resulting in lower CMG interest...

3 hours ago, gensurg66 said:

What a weird year. The amount of gen surg, ob/gyn and cardiac spots left is surprising. 

Agree.  Cardiac is a very small specialty.  I've also never seen unfilled RC EM spots before.  Still holding my breath for a full ROAD + Plastics in round two.

Geographic distribution is mostly as expected although Western seems to have an unusual number of competitive positions left over.  Possible transfers?  UofT filled up except for an open neurology spot.