Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

7 hours ago, OT-InTheMaking-2020 said:

Ouuu. When did your classmate get an email? Also will she be accepting? 

She heard back yesterday, that’s all I know! She’s waiting to hear from Queen’s OT just in case, but otherwise she’ll be accepting UofT for sure

Hiii everyone, this is my message for future applicants to not to lose hope at this point!!! It may seem like it’s late in the game, and I had lost all hope by July... but I finally received an email off of the waitlist a few days ago. My ranking was not disclosed.

I applied to McMaster, UofT, and Queens (all OT).
Accepted: UofT (off the waitlist on July 15th)

Waitlisted: Queens, UofT

Rejected: McMaster

Sub-GPA: 3.71/4.00 (according to ORPAS)

c-GPA: 3.21/4.00

My gpa was clearly not the strongest, but I made my best attempt at making up for that with my experience + references ...

- Worked with a childcare company 4+ years with children of both typical development and those with disabilities

- Volunteered with an adult day program for 100+ hours (my supervisor was my professional reference)

- My academic reference was a professor who I became close with over the semester and I did very well in her classes (I had her for 2 in fall semester)

- I am a strong writer and demonstrated this in my application letters

- My weakest points in my application were probably my lack of clinical research experience (I didn’t do a practicum course) + I lacked direct experience related to OT (like being rehab assistant) 

Hope this helps. Best of luck you incredible people!!!

On 7/25/2020 at 2:30 AM, PT1209 said:

I know that the waitlist for McMaster PT has pretty much not moved at all, but has anybody heard any news at all regarding the status of it lately?

I have not heard if any movement but I also have the same question as you. The lady I emailed told me to reapply for next year since she doesn’t think there will be any other changes. However, I have also been told that anything can happen!!! If anyone else knows anything about Mac PT Waitlist, let us know please!!

On 7/27/2020 at 10:06 PM, jordyne.green said:

Anyone heard anything about the Dal OT waitlist? I emailed them last week but they said they weren't able to provide any information. :( Assuming the odds aren't too good.

Hey! Just received an email back from Kelly confirming my withdrawal from the program (I got into PT at another school)! There should be a spot opening up soon :)

On 7/31/2020 at 2:43 PM, PTOTHOPEFUL said:

Hey! Just received an email back from Kelly confirming my withdrawal from the program (I got into PT at another school)! There should be a spot opening up soon :)

AH! Good to know! Fingers crossed! Thanks so much for the heads up and congrats! :)

Putting this out there for posterity

Applied + (PT or OT?): U of A OT (I like to live dangerously)
Accepted: U of A OT 
Waitlisted: U of A OT (anxiety)
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa: 3.63 and s-gpa: 3.72   (would have been much higher but I kinda screwed up a spring semester taking care of some stuff)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 

I did everything last second because I realized suddenly: "Huh. Maybe I should do something other than just randomly look for jobs after my degree. OT looks like an interesting field.". Essentially my academic reference was run of the mill but my volunteer/professional reference was fairly solid. At the time of application I had maybe around 400 hours volunteering for mental health initiatives, being president of a club on campus and rehab volunteering. Also included was my part time job life guarding, teaching swimming and teaching martial arts. 

My CASPER was alright in my opinion, though I couldn't for the life of me answer one of the questions because my brain, much like a 90s router, suddenly just stopped working. My essays were... Well, to put it mildly, they were kind of garbage considering I wrote them in like an hour. I'm sure this didn't really help my chances that much. I did try my best and I did have them proofread as much as I could. 

I got waitlisted (though I was pretty high on the waitlist because I did not wait that long), and was accepted into the program in early June. 

Moral of the story, don't do what I did and plan what you want to do in the future. 

Hi !

I just wanted to post in this discussion to see if I even have a chance of PT school. Due to 1 B+ by sub GPA dropped to 3.795-3.8( I even re did this course but the original grade fell within my last 20 credits). I know this is quite low but I was wondering if anyone can give me input on what PT schools I may still have a chance at? I know Western, UofT and McMaster are probably out for me. I am a BC resident if that helps!

19 hours ago, PT1234 said:

Hi !

I just wanted to post in this discussion to see if I even have a chance of PT school. Due to 1 B+ by sub GPA dropped to 3.795-3.8( I even re did this course but the original grade fell within my last 20 credits). I know this is quite low but I was wondering if anyone can give me input on what PT schools I may still have a chance at? I know Western, UofT and McMaster are probably out for me. I am a BC resident if that helps!

Don’t give up so easily! Mac gives any student with a 3.4 GPA and interview, so if you rock it you could still stand a chance:) and UoT weighs the CAP quite heavily as well, so you might be in the running for there is you can make it to the CAP stage and really blow away the interview. I was accepted to both Mac and UoT this year with a 3.84 GPA, a little higher then yours, but not at the top by any means. 

1 hour ago, GivinPTaShot said:

Don’t give up so easily! Mac gives any student with a 3.4 GPA and interview, so if you rock it you could still stand a chance:) and UoT weighs the CAP quite heavily as well, so you might be in the running for there is you can make it to the CAP stage and really blow away the interview. I was accepted to both Mac and UoT this year with a 3.84 GPA, a little higher then yours, but not at the top by any means. 

Thanks for the response, I think I will still apply to Mcmaster, but I dont make UofTs cutoff GPA so I will have to see about applying there.

On 8/9/2020 at 1:11 PM, PT1234 said:

Hi !

you should be fine, I think with decent extra curriculars, and alot of prep on interviews, you'll get in. Coming from someone (also BC) who got into Mac this year (no waitlist) with a lower sGPA than you.

Hi everyone,

I am a prospective OT looking to apply for the 2021 admissions cycle. I was looking through this forum just to get a feel for how strong some of your applications were. After reading about everyone experiences I do feel as though I might be lacking in this area, which makes me feel a lot less confident in my application. I was wondering if you guys could let me know if you think I would be able to get accepted with my current stats:

Applying to: Queens, McMaster, UofT, McGill (QY), Western (ALL OT)

Degree: BSc in Kinesiology

Sub-GPA: 3.9

Experiences/References: I have a little bit of research experience from volunteering in my professor's lab. The lab was neuroscience-focused and I got some experience working with EEG. This same professor is one of my academic references. I have 100+ hours volunteering at Respite Camps for children with severe disabilities. My supervisor for this will be my professional reference if the application requires it. I was a teaching assistant for a human anatomy lab and the professor supervising this course will be my other academic reference. I have some other experience working as a Kinesiology Assistant but other than that I dont have a lot of other experiences.

Do you guys think I have a good chance of getting in even though I dont have too much experience?

Any insights are appreciated, 

Thanks.

4 hours ago, PT2020applicant said:

you should be fine, I think with decent extra curriculars, and alot of prep on interviews, you'll get in. Coming from someone (also BC) who got into Mac this year (no waitlist) with a lower sGPA than you.

Thank you for the input it helps!! :)