Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
novascotia2010

Lines of Credit for Medical Students (Scotia is the best option)

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, dwightschrute123 said:

Hey Everyone, 

I know people have been saying its taken a week or more to have their LOC up and running after speaking to an advisor. However, do you have access to the credit cards before that time? I have a few large purchases to make and I would like to be able to capitalize on the rewards of the new cards. 

Thanks!

Here is my timeline this year..

  • Applied.
  • I had access to my new chequing account the same day I applied
  • I waited 4 weeks exactly to have my LOC approved and I signed the forms that day. 
  • I still have no access to my LOC and the interest rate is wrong.
  • The credit card was just shipped, told to wait 10 business days, and no rewards points applied at this moment.

Worst experience ever. 100% switching advisors. Regretting this bank already. 

So altogether, it will be 6 weeks for me to receive a physical credit card and a little less for my LOC. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dalhousie23 said:

Here is my timeline this year..

  • Applied.
  • I had access to my new chequing account the same day I applied
  • I waited 4 weeks exactly to have my LOC approved and I signed the forms that day. 
  • I still have no access to my LOC and the interest rate is wrong.
  • The credit card was just shipped, told to wait 10 business days, and no rewards points applied at this moment.

Worst experience ever. 100% switching advisors. Regretting this bank already. 

So altogether, it will be 6 weeks for me to receive a physical credit card and a little less for my LOC. 

 

Ooof that’s terrible. Just goes to show how variable some banks are at different locations such. Sorry for your pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all. Quick question about Scotia. When you book flights through the Scotia Travel Rewards website, are the posted prices for flights the same as the prices posted on the airline's website? Or is it more expensive? I know with RBC for example, the prices are the same as the ones on the airline's website but they don't allow you to choose the most basic and thus the cheapeast fare. The only option available is to choose a slightly advanced fare (standard fare for air canada, econo for westjet).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

never found a competitive fare on the travel rewards side.

IMHO you are better off finding a good fare from the airline, then applying your points to the travel expense that you charged to your scotia CC.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LostLamb said:

never found a competitive fare on the travel rewards side.

IMHO you are better off finding a good fare from the airline, then applying your points to the travel expense that you charged to your scotia CC.

 

So just to clarify, the prices posted on the travel rewards website are more expensive than the airline's, right?

Also, if you purchase the flight from the airline and then apply your points to the travel expense, would it be at the same rate of 100 points=$1 value? Or is it a different rate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fortress said:

So just to clarify, the prices posted on the travel rewards website are more expensive than the airline's, right?

Also, if you purchase the flight from the airline and then apply your points to the travel expense, would it be at the same rate of 100 points=$1 value? Or is it a different rate?

From my experience they usually are more expensive, but I've heard from some people that they've found cheaper prices on flights there than online/with the airline as well. It doesn't hurt to check whenever you're looking to book anything just to compare.

Point values are the same regardless of who you book with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GTA Med Advisor said:

From my experience they usually are more expensive, but I've heard from some people that they've found cheaper prices on flights there than online/with the airline as well. It doesn't hurt to check whenever you're looking to book anything just to compare.

Point values are the same regardless of who you book with.

For the scotiarewards, if you talk to them on the phone if there is a price mismatch they will try to match the price in my experience.

However, usually they are pretty much the same price in my experience as buying from the airlines themselves.

In terms of customer service - honestly all the banks are pretty terrible. I was originally with RBC and their customer service rep sucked throughout years of medical school. They refused to do -0.25% when other banks were starting to, and I just had to pack up the LOC and move to scotia.

Now when I'm with scotia, there are just dumb things that happen as well that I get irritated with. My "rep" is just an ever changing cascade of people in that position, it all seems they're using that spot as a springboard for other things. The new reps are usually clueless about what the other banks are offering. Every year they ask me "is this my last year of residency" and I'm like dude, honestly I've sent your predecessors an email every single time bout when I'm done. I even send confirmation of enrollment myself and they still ask me!

Honestly just compare the banks in terms of what they offer, which still seems to be scotia so far. Don't be afraid to ask questions or take your money anywhere else. It's not that hard to switch LOCs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question (I never had business with scotia before) but do you have to choose between Gold american express and Passport visa infinite card to get your LOC? Also, is this card a separate credit card account or is this what you use to withdraw from your LOC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Pikachu03 said:

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question (I never had business with scotia before) but do you have to choose between Gold american express and Passport visa infinite card to get your LOC? Also, is this card a separate credit card account or is this what you use to withdraw from your LOC?

you can get both. LOC is it's own account, you transfer that to your regular account IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone. I am with RBC and I have a question regarding the interest I pay on my line of credit. So I got a few statements from my line of credit. The statement shows the amount of applicable interest I am required to pay as well as the payment due date. When the interest is automatically withdrawn from my chequing account on the payment due date, the amount withdrawn is actually different from what is shown on the statement. For example, my last statement showed an applicable interest of 1.84 dollars due on the 30th of September. The amount that was actually withdrawn from my chequing account on the 30th was 1.66 dollars. And all of the previous months were like that. The statement shows one thing but the amount deducted is different, sometimes higher and sometimes lower than the amount shown on the statement. 

Is it just me or do other people have the same thing? Is there an explanation why this happens even though there was no changes made to my line of credit between the statement end date and the actual due date of payment?

Would appreciate any input on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a heads up to you all, there are more bonus perks now more than ever before to open a new banking package with Scotiabank. These are the current offers available to new clients:

- $300 cash bonus for opening up a new Preferred Package

- up to 45,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points ($450 worth) on a new Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Card

- up to 30,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points ($300 worth)  Scotiabank Gold American Express

- MD Financial is also offering a $500 cash incentive for their clients who open a new SPSP line of credit between October 7 - December 31.

 

That's $1,550 combined worth of cash ($800) and points ($750) up for grabs. Obviously there are criteria that have to be met for each offer, you can view the details through the site. I don't think the details on the MD offer is posted anywhere but essentially you have to talk to one of their advisors/have an account with them/onboard a new account to qualify.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To anyone who is interested, Scotiabank is increasing their LOC limit to 350 K!

I just emailed my advisor the increase form today, and got it approved shortly this afternoon!

They mainly look after your credit score, mine is just good- 760; which is average. 

I would personally increase it for emergency fund; or to use it for downpayment as last resort (if you don't save 20% and insurance can be more expensive than prime - 0.25% in some cases).

Just my two cents :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 6:23 AM, GTA Med Advisor said:

Just a heads up to you all, there are more bonus perks now more than ever before to open a new banking package with Scotiabank. These are the current offers available to new clients:

- $300 cash bonus for opening up a new Preferred Package

- up to 45,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points ($450 worth) on a new Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Card

- up to 30,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points ($300 worth)  Scotiabank Gold American Express

- MD Financial is also offering a $500 cash incentive for their clients who open a new SPSP line of credit between October 7 - December 31.

 

That's $1,550 combined worth of cash ($800) and points ($750) up for grabs. Obviously there are criteria that have to be met for each offer, you can view the details through the site. I don't think the details on the MD offer is posted anywhere but essentially you have to talk to one of their advisors/have an account with them/onboard a new account to qualify.

Are any of these available to current scotia LOC holders that signed up 2+ years ago? Or do we need to switch to another bank and switch back to scotia to qualify for these offers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you will only get the bonuses on the extra things you haven't already opened up with scotia.

ex. I did not have any bank accounts, opened a preferred package, and if I do several tricks in the next 3 weeks i'll get the $300 in a couple months (you have to have some auto debits or make a transfer plus something else). I haven't decided if I will do it yet because I have a different main account but am setting up for staff life by opening up this one.

I suppose that if you don't yet have the passport visa infinite or gold amex then signing up for them you'll get the bonuses (worked out for me when I opened them in 2018). 

For reference, I got my LOC in 2011.

LL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...