Premed 101 Forums

How important is it to have an online presence as a medical student?

6 hours ago, CanadianGal said:

I just started medical school and I am hearing that it is important to have an online presence as a medical student.

LOL who told you that it's important?

The one that I see people using predominantly for professional purposes is Twitter, that's the one where a lot of people who do advocacy congregate. Even so, the three main actions on there seem to be: 1. complain. 2. brag. 3. suck up (e.g."wow what a wonderful lecture by Dr.X!"), none of which are helpful

33 minutes ago, Egg_McMuffin said:

LOL who told you that it's important?

The one that I see people using predominantly for professional purposes is Twitter, that's the one where a lot of people who do advocacy congregate. Even so, the three main actions on there seem to be: 1. complain. 2. brag. 3. suck up (e.g."wow what a wonderful lecture by Dr.X!"), none of which are helpful

Hahaha that’s pretty true

Those are mainly the med students, though. 

I’ve learned some cool things from physicians, etc. on there 

most of the "my life as a ____ student/profession" social media accounts i see are just people feeding their inner narcissists rather than useful/productive use of social media. there are a few exceptions (ali abdaal's youtube channel is pretty great for people genuinely curious about pursuing medical education) but aside from those i think most med social media is pretty useless lol

12 hours ago, CanadianGal said:

I just started medical school and I am hearing that it is important to have an online presence as a medical student.

How helpful/important is it to have a LinkedIn as a medical student? or any other platforms?

really? I honestly don't think so as all really. That just isn't how the system works. 

Personally, the importance of having it is in protecting your brand.

i am not active on LinkedIn, but I have an account and profile just so no one else can start one up in my name and then I have to undo whatever they have put there. 
My LinkedIn is now a top hit for my name on google, and I am fine with that.

Some might want to do similar for Facebook, Twitter, etc. I haven’t because I don’t like being vocal on SM for the reasons mentioned above. 

otherwise it’s good to have an active account for whatever platform your med school class uses for non school based communications—just to be looped in. At least I found it helpful and sometimes it was a space for sharing resources. Still, no need to use it for the rest of the social media frills. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fairly active across multiple platforms and it's generally been a very positive thing for me throughout my training. It has helped me set up electives and make connections with some fantastic docs. That said, I think Mac faculty in particular have a generally stronger social media presence than may be common at other schools which is part of why it has been such a positive thing. 

That said, if you are prone to saying unwise things online and are not prepared to be careful about what you say, professional social media may not be for you. It is by no means essential.