Premed 101 Forums

2021 UCalgary Interview Invites/Regrets

TIME STAMP: 5:50 PM MST

Result: Regrets

wGPA: 4

MCAT: 128 cars

ECs: Filled all 10. Good enough for U of A.  But honestly thought my Calgary essays were better then U of A haha. Oh well

Year: UG complete

Geography: OOP

Wishing everyone all the best with the interview! Good luck :)

Result: Regrets

wGPA: 3.84

MCAT: 128 CARS

ECs: Heavy on employment and personal experiences

Geography: IP

Wasn't surprised as I figured my GPA might've been on the lower end and my application didn't have any research. Wishing the very best of luck to all of you invited to interviews! For those of you in the same boat as me, don't give up hope, we'll get there one day! :) 

Result: Invite

GPA: 3.69

MCAT: 514 (127/127/129/131)

Time stamp: 4:43 PM MT

Top 10: filled in all 10, talked about my full time work, volunteering with a bunch of groups, mentorship program, youth sports coaching, hobbies, 2 summers research (no pubs) and a personal life experience 

I’m in total shock but so excited!

I also want to acknowledge that some people probably didn’t hear the news they were hoping for and trust me, I know exactly how you feel, been in your shoes a number of times and it SUCKS. Just trust that you’ve worked hard and you deserve your opportunity to prove it, it will come when the time is right for you. Don’t ever let this impact your self perception and keep going, I promise it will pay off in due time. So much of it is luck and I think we all know that so just know you are worthy and capable and it will all unfold in the best way. 

TIME STAMP: 4:28 PM MST

Result: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh Invite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

wGPA: 3.87

MCAT: 512, 126 CARS!!!!!!

Year: Graduated

ECs: I think this was the decisive factor for me. You can see the U of A invites/rejections thread for my specific activities, but my U of C top 10 was crafted around some very specific themes that spanned multiple activities and experiences. I sought to tell somewhat of a story with my entries to showcase my personal growth and how I was personally impacted. I grouped as many as ~5 activities into one entry, and I conversely dedicated three separate entries around one specific theme. Mixture of unstructured experiential activities and more traditional activities. It seems that I'm easily one of the lower stat applicants on this thread (especially with CARS), so hopefully this provides a bit of hope to those of us without exceedingly competitive stats.

WOW, I sincerely ugly cried upon opening this email. As I got into my car after work, I opened **DELETED** to see a thread saying that U of C invites were out. I chose not to open my email till I got home because I didn't want to spoil my car ride lol. I truly thought I would never get to this point, and I am SO immensely grateful to receive an interview to a Canadian medical school. I was really down after receiving the U of A rejection, but I guess this goes to show that defeatism is not the way! This isn't over yet, and I will absolutely MMI prep myself to death, but I think its super important to take in the little victories. Thank you to everyone on this site that helped me craft my top 10, I probably wouldn't be in this position without the generosity of you all :)

13 hours ago, PunkRockerForLife said:

It’s 7 MST now, Is it safe to say there’s no more emails going out tonight or am I going to have to keep refreshing my email all night?!?

the anxiety is driving me nuts haha

Anyone else still waiting to hear back? I wonder if this was another glitch or those that did not hear back got rejected. 

6 minutes ago, Mike5534 said:

Anyone else still waiting to hear back? I wonder if this was another glitch or those that did not hear back got rejected. 

I think it was a glitch because Dr. Panaccione said on the blog that they sent out emails yesterday. But I’m like you and still haven’t received anything. I’m going to give them a call this morning and try to find out. :)

TIME STAMP: 4:28 MST

Result: Invite

GPA: 3.97

MCAT: 517 (129/127/130/131) 

ECs: Completed all 10, with a mix of volunteering, club leadership roles, research, sports and meaningful life experiences:)

Year: 4th year BSc

Geography: IP

UofC is my top choice, so feeling super blessed:) Congrats to everyone who received an invite, there is definitely an element of luck involved with so many qualified applicants! 

They said there was a glitch and some people didn’t receive their emails, it resulted as an error on their end. They said it’s nothing to do with your interview decision outcome it’s just something with their end. They are hoping to have it fixed today and they submitted the issue to their software developers, but it will be resolved the latest by Tuesday before the interview slots open.

1 hour ago, PunkRockerForLife said:

They said there was a glitch and some people didn’t receive their emails, it resulted as an error on their end. They said it’s nothing to do with your interview decision outcome it’s just something with their end. They are hoping to have it fixed today and they submitted the issue to their software developers, but it will be resolved the latest by Tuesday before the interview slots open.

Our scores were just too high and the system couldn't handle it I guess

TIME STAMP: 3:25 MST / 02.12

Result: regrets

wGPA: 3.61

MCAT: 516 (128 CARS)

ECs: good enough for UofA

Year: 2020 BSc

disappointed because calgary was my top choice and the more interviews the better sense of security id feel but if I can get UofA I’d still be so excited.

Good luck everyone!

TIME STAMP: 4:19 PM MST / 02.12
wGPA: 3.91

MCAT: 516 (129/127/130/130)
ECs: Research (multiple studentships - CIHR, Alberta Innovates; one first author pub, multiple conference presentations), scholarships/awards, study abroad experiences, unique personal experiences. 
Year: BHSc, 1st year MSc
Geography : IP

UofC is the only school I applied to this year so it's been a stressful 24 hours not knowing what my interview status was. On UCAN, my status is still awaiting decision. Good luck to everyone interviewing this cycle!

21 hours ago, garceyues said:

TIME STAMP: 4:28 PM MST

Result: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh Invite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

wGPA: 3.87

MCAT: 512, 126 CARS!!!!!!

Year: Graduated

ECs: I think this was the decisive factor for me. You can see the U of A invites/rejections thread for my specific activities, but my U of C top 10 was crafted around some very specific themes that spanned multiple activities and experiences. I sought to tell somewhat of a story with my entries to showcase my personal growth and how I was personally impacted. I grouped as many as ~5 activities into one entry, and I conversely dedicated three separate entries around one specific theme. Mixture of unstructured experiential activities and more traditional activities. It seems that I'm easily one of the lower stat applicants on this thread (especially with CARS), so hopefully this provides a bit of hope to those of us without exceedingly competitive stats.

WOW, I sincerely ugly cried upon opening this email. As I got into my car after work, I opened **DELETED** to see a thread saying that U of C invites were out. I chose not to open my email till I got home because I didn't want to spoil my car ride lol. I truly thought I would never get to this point, and I am SO immensely grateful to receive an interview to a Canadian medical school. I was really down after receiving the U of A rejection, but I guess this goes to show that defeatism is not the way! This isn't over yet, and I will absolutely MMI prep myself to death, but I think its super important to take in the little victories. Thank you to everyone on this site that helped me craft my top 10, I probably wouldn't be in this position without the generosity of you all :)

So happy to see this, my friend!!!! You more than deserve this!!

Now go crush that interview!!!!

wGPA: 3.9

MCAT: 497 (127 CARS)

Year: 2015 International Development

ECs: A career in environment and community work. Personal stories of overcoming challenge. Training and experience in emergency response. Lived/worked abroad. Alpinist. 

I want to post my results to highlight that at least for the UofC, my MCAT score did not define my invitation. I come from a non-traditional background, and the science portions of the MCAT were far beyond my scope. I self-studied and took a crack at it, knowing I needed to focus on CARS. I learned a lot, but fell short in the sciences. The other MCAT scores posted here are very impressive, and I know how much knowledge and effort those scores required. Well done. 

I applied to UofC because I trusted that, with this program, I had a shot based on other qualities and experiences I have. I am very humbled to have received an invite, knowing that there are so many well-trained, unique, and disciplined people who were sent regrets this week. I'm in my 30's and applying for medicine marks a significant change in career direction for me. Or maybe its a culmination, but at face value it is different. I share this to encourage people who may hesitate to attempt an application, whether they come from a non-traditional stream or are a mature student. You may be surprised. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Congrats to everyone who ventured something by applying, invite or regret. It takes not just effort, but guts to put yourself in the running. Good work everyone, and good luck moving forwards. 

wGPA: 3.89

MCAT: 517; 128/129/130/130

Year: 4th year of B.Sc.

ECs: Very minimal employment, international medical observership in a low-income unit (I talked about how it impacted me and what I did with what I learned/saw), one (albeit productive) summer of research that yielded two abstract publications and one award at an international conference, participation in dance productions and lessons, founding a cultural club on campus, and some other personal experiences (family relationships that impacted me, taking care of a family member's health, etc.)

I primarily posted because I wanted to point out that I didn't have the 1000+ hours of volunteering, research, or even employment (I had one 1.5 month temp job before my research studentship, and basically no long-term volunteering). I tried to stay authentic to the things that really shaped who I am as a person. I also know that on paper, these seem like above average extracurriculars, but just a year or two ago, I didn't have half of these things under my belt (hence the low number of hours for my ECs). No matter where you are at today, know that it is never too late to turn things around. I feel honoured to be in your company as a fellow applicant, regardless of what the results came out to be.