Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

Last month I asked about buying computer parts for my son.

Well, the computer is now assembled downstairs running two monitors. It's a pretty basic box but it's functional (and I got him a cool glowing keyboard and mouse.) My son is pretty much beside himself with joy. He's got a book for kids about using Python to modify Minecraft on its way, so until that shows up we've got a bunch of videos and some basic programming stuff for him to work on.

Blows me away how cheap computers are now. The hard drive alone for the first computer I built cost more than his entire computer (including monitor) and it had less storage than his computer has RAM.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a 81 in one of my courses. This is just....#&@*

Considering I'm doing this yr JUST to add Ottawa to the list (and doing a second degree, where no fuck-ups are allowed) this is so frustrating and I can see my chances diminishing before my eyes. I guess I should count myself lucky that I didn't get below 80. :/

Sorry for being dramatic.

maybe you had group work where the inefficiency of other people affected your grade or maybe you had a tough course where the class average is in the 50s

Going to the hospital tomorrow, but i thought id ask here anyways: hurt my middle finger. I can't straighten the last knuckle (but can bend it completely). Its been over an hour and theres no pain or swelling, and I don't remember how it happened (I was at wrestling practice). What do?

edit: It looks like "mallet finger" but yeah. Doesn't hurt. 

• 2 weeks later...

After a 'real' winter day today, I'm mad at myself. With such a mild December I irrationally thought winter (like freeze-your-face-off-winter) wasn't going to really happen this year.

HA.

Yeah... we sort of temporarily forgot we were in Canada in January too.

its back......hehehe

cannot complain really, we managed to get out of 7 weeks of winter so far, and who knows for the rest.

Yeah. After having dealt with over 16 feet of snow back home last winter, I'm not going to complain too much about whatever Ontario throws at me.

Though I hope the Canal ends up with at least enough time to freeze. We want to take the kids to Winterlude.

The wait for interview invites is so much worse when you don't have school work to keep you busy :S

I don't know, I had a blast over the break being consciously unproductive. Now I am checking my email with the thought, "Which emails am I going to ignore today?"

Sitting around for hours on end in lecture is a crime.

Going to the hospital tomorrow, but i thought id ask here anyways: hurt my middle finger. I can't straighten the last knuckle (but can bend it completely). Its been over an hour and theres no pain or swelling, and I don't remember how it happened (I was at wrestling practice). What do?

edit: It looks like "mallet finger" but yeah. Doesn't hurt. 

I hope you got it treated. I got mallet finger last year playing soccer (goalkeeper). I ended up treating it myself since the docs at the clinic had no clue what to do. If the splint isn't a perfect fit and the knuckle isn't immobilised in a perfect straight line, the tendon may not heal properly. I bought these and put it on myself. In 8 weeks the finger was good to go.

31876.png

I messed up on an exam big time. Literally went into a course with a 4.0, left with a 2.7 after the final exam. Feels terrible.

I had that happen last year myself. 3.9 to 2.7 overnight. I remember how horrible it felt. I'm sorry. :(

Can we just fast-forward to 3 weeks from now please? The wait hasn't felt long so far, but seeing that the Mac invites went out just made me very anxious

I also have 5 letters to write for grad schools in the next 2 weeks. Blah.

It'll pass soon enough. :) The wait is a bit insane in how fast it seems to have gone in retrospect. 

I'm super excited about the fact that Mac sent out invites (though also sad since my very close friend didn't get one) since I'm volunteering as a host this year since the hosts I had were so lovely. 

I have basically mentally checked out of this second undergrad. I'm just so excited to hopefully start med, that in my head I've already graduated. I need to force myself to check back in by the weekend though lol.

stay with it - hard I know but if you aren't at the finishing line then you aren't at the finishing line :)

So am now 50% done residency. That is kind of strange - starting in 6 months I will be a senior resident. I am supposed to know something by then ha :)

Good to know I'll still be feeling like I don't know anything for years to come. People keep telling me this is the case, it's hard to believe it with how confident some residents seem. 

Good to know I'll still be feeling like I don't know anything for years to come. People keep telling me this is the case, it's hard to believe it with how confident some residents seem. 

illusion :)

sometimes you have to sound confident or people don't think you know anything. Even if you do.

it is a funny process - you are constantly moved along as you learn so you never get the sense you area actually that good at anything. It is only when you get to do an earlier task that you realize you have made some strides.

To be fair, a physician should know how excess carbs/fats/proteins are converted into fat and be able to explain it at a basic level. The timeframe question maybe not as it depends on a persons metabolism, how much fat they have on their body already etc. 

In my opinion of course. 

I actually totally agree, if anything just purely based on the obesity problems on this continent and also the relation between increased obesity and increased severity of many other medical conditions.

Am I digging my own grave right now with the fact that I don't know what I'm doing with my life right now. I'm in second semester of second year undergrad, and my marks are just average, and I have a couple of EC's, but nothing special. I just feel stressed because summer is coming up and I really need to decide if I'm writing the MCAT/PCAT and not sure if I'll get some research experience this summer (although I really want to, there just haven't been any positive replies from profs yet). I don't even know if I really want to do med/pharm, or it's just because I don't know what else to pursue. 

ugh feeling overwhelmed with decisions  :unsure:

Am I digging my own grave right now with the fact that I don't know what I'm doing with my life right now. I'm in second semester of second year undergrad, and my marks are just average, and I have a couple of EC's, but nothing special. I just feel stressed because summer is coming up and I really need to decide if I'm writing the MCAT/PCAT and not sure if I'll get some research experience this summer (although I really want to, there just haven't been any positive replies from profs yet). I don't even know if I really want to do med/pharm, or it's just because I don't know what else to pursue. 

ugh feeling overwhelmed with decisions  :unsure:

I'd say you're better off by doing as much research as possible on the prospective careers you might do. Ask yourself key questions like what are the work environment, hours, salary, room for advancement, and just plain and simple if you would be happy doing x or y as a career. Once you have more knowledge about other potential careers then you will start to feel better about what choice you are going to make. It's easy to feel lost when you have no knowledge about something.

Archived