Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

Oh so interviewers know the people they'll be interviewing in advance? Sorry for the silly questions. I'm not in med yet lol

No, they don't, at least not anywhere I know of. I mean if, during an MMI, someone walks into the room who the interviewer knows. In such an event, they'd indicate on the form if there was a COI and that score would be excluded. I *think* this is the case, but I'm truly not certain since I've never been on the interviewer side.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, they don't, at least not anywhere I know of. I mean if, during an MMI, someone walks into the room who the interviewer knows. In such an event, they'd indicate on the form if there was a COI and that score would be excluded. I *think* this is the case, but I'm truly not certain since I've never been on the interviewer side.

I swear I remember reading about this a few years ago, I think the interviewers get a list of names a few days before or something, and they indicate any COI at that time. And then yes maybe they forgot the persons name and they come in, probably do what you suggested. 

I swear I remember reading about this a few years ago, I think the interviewers get a list of names a few days before or something, and they indicate any COI at that time. And then yes maybe they forgot the persons name and they come in, probably do what you suggested. 

I know at Western I didn't - I just showed up and was given a list that day etc :) Too much risk of bias if it is given in advance - you could look up something on that person for instance if you knew ahead of time, or (gasp) at worst make contact with them. Bad idea - and really why do it at all? It can all be straightened out that day if needed.

Apparently the hospital close to my house (credit valley/trillium) only has 1 OR available on the weekends. Is this normal? Seems not so good.

ahhh you would be surprised on the limits to various things now.

I am at a major hospital and we don't have in house CT techs for two of the days of the week. We aren't the trauma centre which has to have 24/7 CT but still we are a big hospital. The tech can be called in but it takes time etc.

ahhh you would be surprised on the limits to various things now.

I am at a major hospital and we don't have in house CT techs for two of the days of the week. We aren't the trauma centre which has to have 24/7 CT but still we are a big hospital. The tech can be called in but it takes time etc.

Seems rough. 

My grandfather fell yesterday and needs a hip replacement. The surgeon said he doesn't know when he'll get OR time and it could be today, tomorrow or Tuesday. Seems like a massive influx of cash is needed, but of course, the government is broke. 

Seems rough. 

My grandfather fell yesterday and needs a hip replacement. The surgeon said he doesn't know when he'll get OR time and it could be today, tomorrow or Tuesday. Seems like a massive influx of cash is needed, but of course, the government is broke. 

we could never provide top rate care to everyone no matter what we did - we never could - and actually no other system in world could either not matter how they arrange it. Our system is based on the "pretty good" philosophy. I mean technically waiting 3 days to replace the hip is not medically going to hurt your grandfather - it is an unnecessary delay but not actually harmful and won't result in a less successful surgery or a worse long term outcome. That's bit cold of course but actually correct.

We deal with these sorts of compromises all the time in medicine in Canada. Not a day goes by where any of us aren't running into a resource limitation.

we could never provide top rate care to everyone no matter what we did - we never could - and actually no other system in world could either not matter how they arrange it. Our system is based on the "pretty good" philosophy. I mean technically waiting 3 days to replace the hip is not medically going to hurt your grandfather - it is an unnecessary delay but not actually harmful and won't result in a less successful surgery or a worse long term outcome. That's bit cold of course but actually correct.

We deal with these sorts of compromises all the time in medicine in Canada. Not a day goes by where any of us aren't running into a resource limitation.

No, I completely agree. My sister was really peeved at having to wait a couple more days, but I told her (without actually looking it up) that it probably won't make a difference in his recovery, and he's perfectly comfortable at the moment. 

The way I've heard it explained that I liked best can be paraphrased: "impatience is not a medical condition."

It might be frustrating to wait and we might dislike it, but if we can wait, so that those who need care more quickly are able to get it, then we should wait instead of putting our limited health care resources into reducing wait times that don't impact outcomes. (Obviously, wait times that *do* impact outcomes should be addressed.)

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. I hope he has a smooth recovery.

The Russians will not accept responsibility for the shooting down of the passenger plane with tremendous loss of life over the Ukraine. Well, they are bombing in Syria and it appears that one the Russian passenger planes was shot down over Egyptian territory with tremendous loss office. There is no formal proof of terrorism at this stage, just indications that the plane came apart in mid air from an exterior source. It is sick that parties taking part in warfare, directly or indirectly, cause innocent passengers to be their victims so that they may make a statement.

The Russians will not accept responsibility for the shooting down of the passenger plane with tremendous loss of life over the Ukraine. Well, they are bombing in Syria and it appears that one the Russian passenger planes was shot down over Egyptian territory with tremendous loss office. There is no formal proof of terrorism at this stage, just indications that the plane came apart in mid air from an exterior source. It is sick that parties taking part in warfare, directly or indirectly, cause innocent passengers to be their victims so that they may make a statement.

Reports suggest that terrorist groups in Egypt don't have the capability to shoot down an airplane at that altitude. 

Reports suggest that terrorist groups in Egypt don't have the capability to shoot down an airplane at that altitude. 

Yes, all the information out there does not make sense? If there was an external source causing the aircraft to break up, then what could it be other than terrorism?

Yes, all the information out there does not make sense? If there was an external source causing the aircraft to break up, then what could it be other than terrorism?

Nothing they've said so far makes sense. They said something about there being zero technical issues/warnings with the airplane, and also that they think its very unlikely that its a terrorist attack. Basically, they're saying it broke up and that is all. 

On a related note, there was a terrorist attack by gun men in Somalia today; 15 dead. 

This is so cool (not for the person it happened to): 

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1505892#t=article

A tapeworm inside a person developed cancer, and the cells invaded the host's body. 

great.....another zebra to add to my differential list.

(could be primary lung cancer, met disease, lymphoma.....and tapeworm, er, cancer)

Archived