Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

we have the most amazing medical historian. She's such an entertaining presenter and her stories are hilarious

Medicine is full of fantastic stories. I've not heard anything about us having any presentations specifically on medical history, but it'd be rather fun, I think, if we did.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/investigators-90-percent-sure-bomb-downed-russian-flight-in-egypt/ar-CC6hZ7?ocid=spartandhp

Egyptians are 90% sure it was a bomb that brought down that passenger aircraft.

This is a game changer for their tourist industry and, therefore, for the Egyptian economy. Isis got both Russia and Egypt with the same bomb. They thrive on killing innocents.

Yeah I'm either off to med school or grad school (something I enjoy: computational biology) next year. Small chance I get the urge to reapply. 

good to have more than one option and thus more than one interest.

I like computational biology as well - may try to do a bioinfomatics fellowship post residency

good to have more than one option and thus more than one interest.

I like computational biology as well - may try to do a bioinfomatics fellowship post residency

I originally studied statistics, and as i'm learning more about computational biology, I find myself thinking, "If I knew that this stats stuff was relevant to cancer research 4 years ago, things would have been so different". Interesting what a bit of context does. 

I find programming to be oddly relaxing, and the environment at the OICR, where my future supervisor (hopefully) is located, is so awesome. 

I originally studied statistics, and as i'm learning more about computational biology, I find myself thinking, "If I knew that this stats stuff was relevant to cancer research 4 years ago, things would have been so different". Interesting what a bit of context does. 

I find programming to be oddly relaxing, and the environment at the OICR, where my future supervisor (hopefully) is located, is so awesome. 

I like programming - you have complete control of things. You are freed from physical boundaries - it is a virtual world you bend to your will. Plus it is very useful, ha.

I like programming - you have complete control of things. You are freed from physical boundaries - it is a virtual world you bend to your will. Plus it is very useful, ha.

It is incredibly useful. I'm hoping to work on some data analytics stuff for soccer in my free time over the summer. I love being able to combine two things I like into a super hobby. 

The religious community needs to step up and publicly condemn jihads. Killing innocent people will not guarantee you a spot in heaven, yo.

I dislike this sentiment in a general sort of way because it's the sort of thing used to justify all sorts of nastiness towards people who simply share the name of a religion with people doing horrible things. It is not the responsibility of religious communities to educate the rest of the world for their own comfort. (And just to be clear I'm not saying you are a discriminatory sort, just that I've seen this line of reasoning precede all sorts of nastiness.)

That said, many religious communities have condemned these sorts of perversions of their faith and continue to do so, including taking steps to identify any radicalised members of their community and work to deradicalise them. It just doesn't often make the media. The sheer number of people fleeing ISIS should make it rather apparent that their fanatical ideology is not accepted by most people.

I dislike this sentiment in a general sort of way because it's the sort of thing used to justify all sorts of nastiness towards people who simply share the name of a religion with people doing horrible things. It is not the responsibility of religious communities to educate the rest of the world for their own comfort. (And just to be clear I'm not saying you are a discriminatory sort, just that I've seen this line of reasoning precede all sorts of nastiness.)

That said, many religious communities have condemned these sorts of perversions of their faith and continue to do so, including taking steps to identify any radicalised members of their community and work to deradicalise them. It just doesn't often make the media. The sheer number of people fleeing ISIS should make it rather apparent that their fanatical ideology is not accepted by most people.

Well said, but killing innocent people was never the definition of Jihad. It is another thing if some lunatic uses it to justify his terrorism. Also, who would you take as a representative of a religion or action, an extremist criminal or a normal peaceful citizen from that society? 

As far as ISIS goes, there isn't anything islamic about ISIS to begin with.  They use the name of islam because it helps them recruit people. Other than that 99% of the people killed by them are muslims themselves, and their holds are strongest in places where the established order was destroyed (e.g. Iraq, Syria, Libya, Afghanistan). Where ever they go, the first people they kill are religious scholars and university professors so that no one can challenge their narratives.

I know I haven't been active on here lately and you all seem to be having a very important conversation, however, I just had to share an experience that I had today!

Woah. I had the privilege to observe ECT today! It was super interesting! :D I especially enjoyed that I got to witness the different healthcare professional roles and collaboration/teamwork within the procedure room. (Would have more to say, but still 'nerding out'  :P

I know I haven't been active on here lately and you all seem to be having a very important conversation, however, I just had to share an experience that I had today!

Woah. I had the privilege to observe ECT today! It was super interesting! :D I especially enjoyed that I got to witness the different healthcare professional roles and collaboration/teamwork within the procedure room. (Would have more to say, but still 'nerding out'  :P

wait until you get to push the actual button.

that is a very strange experience I will tell you.

My son wants his own computer come the holidays. My husband and I are debating buying him the parts... separately. Wrap each box carefully. Tell him he can use it when he can build it. Too mean? 

I once met someone who had had ECT and swore up and down it was life-changing. It's certainly interesting for sure!

My son wants his own computer come the holidays. My husband and I are debating buying him the parts... separately. Wrap each box carefully. Tell him he can use it when he can build it. Too mean? 

I think it's a fantastic idea. I was definitely old enough to tinker with stuff when I was 9.  Don't underestimate kids

I built wrote my first working word processor when I was in grade 5 (with spell checker! Suck it Word Prefect 5.1) with a computer I helped construct and proceeded from there. Man that computer was a piece of junk ha.  I was building working robotics in grade 6 from stuff I found at garage sales. First video game the same year.

If you gave me the parts when I was 9 there would be working computer in a week or at least broken pieces from the attempt with new knowledge of how to actually do it and I would be explaining to you why I needed a new part X. Your son probably would be in the same boat.

It is a balance between being challenged and being mean. As long as you are on the challenged side it is all good.

Archived