Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

Well, he figured out some principles of electrical circuitry fairly easily with the snap circuits (if any of you ever need to buy a gift for a very curious kid, I'd recommend these) which was rather cool to watch.

I think we'll probably go ahead and buy components and have him assemble his own. I've heard from plenty of people who think it's a pretty good idea. Good thing computers are so much cheaper now than when I was a kid.

And Rmorelan, I don't think he'll quite that advanced with programming in another couple years, though we're encouraging exploration and practice so you never know. My brother was a lot like you; amazing skills as a kid, and now he's basically worked as a salaried computer genius since he was in his teens.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, he figured out some principles of electrical circuitry fairly easily with the snap circuits (if any of you ever need to buy a gift for a very curious kid, I'd recommend these) which was rather cool to watch.

I think we'll probably go ahead and buy components and have him assemble his own. I've heard from plenty of people who think it's a pretty good idea. Good thing computers are so much cheaper now than when I was a kid.

And Rmorelan, I don't think he'll quite that advanced with programming in another couple years, though we're encouraging exploration and practice so you never know. My brother was a lot like you; amazing skills as a kid, and now he's basically worked as a salaried computer genius since he was in his teens.

Ha - my point (which I know you know) is given a chance people can do amazing things :)

I sometimes wonder what would happen if I didn't get that computer - it was a old throw away machine from the office my grandfather worked at. It ended up being the key to quite a lot of what I am I guess.

Ha - my point (which I know you know) is given a chance people can do amazing things :)

I sometimes wonder what would happen if I didn't get that computer - it was a old throw away machine from the office my grandfather worked at. It ended up being the key to quite a lot of what I am I guess.

I think we all have those moments in our lives, where one event or one chance happening sets a direction for us.

Maybe giving the kiddo his own computer will have the same effect, who knows. :)

This is so true. I know many people whose entire career paths were influenced by certain exposures as a child.   

I watched a lot of discovery channel (back when it was all nature documentaries.. none of this dirty jobs or myth busters shit) when I came to Canada mostly because the voices were much more "standard" and slower than other tv shows, and I was just starting to learn English.  I still give Discovery Chanel full credit for inspiring me to go in to science.

I watched a lot of discovery channel (back when it was all nature documentaries.. none of this dirty jobs or myth busters shit) when I came to Canada mostly because the voices were much more "standard" and slower than other tv shows, and I was just starting to learn English. I still give Discovery Chanel full credit for inspiring me to go in to science.

Discovery channel made me want to be a marine biologist.

That didn't happen. :(

Something's been bothering me lately.

How do you deal with jealousy over people in your life who have not worked as hard as you have but can get to where to want to be more easily simply because of circumstances?

What if you want to wish the best for them but really don't want to at the same time?

I know I should focus on myself but I can't stop...and I feel like a terrible person.

How do you deal with jealousy over people in your life who have not worked as hard as you have but can get to where to want to be more easily simply because of circumstances?

What if you want to wish the best for them but really don't want to at the same time?

I know I should focus on myself but I can't stop...and I feel like a terrible person.

This is sort of what dealing with infertility is like. As happy as I am to see people I love adding to their families, there's always a bit of a hollowness to the congratulations and I do feel horrible about the fact that I've felt bitter in the face of other peoples' happy news.

But the thing is, it doesn't make you a terrible person to feel bad that you haven't been able to do something that someone else has been able to do with less effort. I mean, really, it's only natural to feel some jealousy. Just don't let it overtake you or let it poison what successes you do have.

I think it's also important to remember that unless it's your sibling or something, you never know all of some ones circumstances or what they're dealing with, or how hard they really work.

Lots of people whose lives look easy have stuff going on under the surface.

Thanks guys. When I think more about it it may not necessarily be due to the amount of hard work that's upsetting me (the world is not fair, I know that. I mean if I really think about it I've enjoyed lots of privileges that others don't have, simply because of my circumstances and what I was born with).

I think more than anything I'm just bitter because I've been committed to the journey for longer and am more capable than them today, by objective standards. Yet because of circumstances from my past, they still have a leg up.

I get that it's traditionally been viewed as one of the most lucrative and personally rewarding professions, but all I see in the news and social media now is how doctors' incomes are being shat on by the government (in Ontario at least), they're at higher risk of burnout/depression, and their jobs have become less valued (resident cuts, post-grad unemployment)

Life is full of uncertainty whatever career path one follows. Life is unfair, things happen. When the 2008 financial crisis happened, hundreds of law graduates who had secured their articling positions were told these positions no longer existed - the firms could no longer afford them due to the slowdown in work. There is no certainty in medicine too. At CaRMS, you can receive unpleasant surprises. A field you had your heart set on when entering medical school may have become super competitive with less positions available. When I entered medical school, the medical school of my choice had 13 residency spots each year in the field of my choice. At CaRMS, this school interviewed me in this field but they had only 3 spots available. I did not make the cut, however, I got into the residency program in another field I love. So, all is good. I was adaptable and applied in 3 fields. To answer your question, provided you are flexible and notwithstanding the uncertainty, yes, it is absolutely worth it. :P   

Does anyone else ever wonder if medicine is worth it anymore? I get that it's traditionally been viewed as one of the most lucrative and personally rewarding professions, but all I see in the news and social media now is how doctors' incomes are being shat on by the government (in Ontario at least), they're at higher risk of burnout/depression, and their jobs have become less valued (resident cuts, post-grad unemployment)..... not to sound all negative, but I was just wondering what everyone else's opinion is on whether it's "worth it"

Most of the changes in the profession are fairly marginal. Income's down in some jurisdictions, but still quite high compared to other professions and compared to historical compensation for physicians. Burnout and depression have been problems for a very long time, it's not a new phenomenon, though maybe it's acknowledged more than in the past. The residency cut, while concerning, is actually fairly small and likely to land hardest on IMGs. The employment situation is the more sustained, significant change that really should be addressed, though the job market in most fields has been rather poor for quite some time now - it's not like underemployment is unique to medicine.

Is it worth it? Well... that depends. Going into medicine comes with a high initial price, in terms of money, time, and independence. There is a payoff for that investment, more in money and independence than time. Of course there are also the tougher-to-quantify rewards like intellectual stimulation and the satisfaction of caring for individuals in need. Whether that payoff is worth the price will depend on the person. For some people the answer is an undeniable "yes". For others, they find out the costs are too high or the rewards are not quite what they thought, or their priorities change as they get older.

Going in with realistic expectations is important. Medicine's a good career overall, but there are other good careers out there too. For most people, the decision is not to go into medicine or do nothing, it's to go into medicine or pursue a different career, so whether medicine is worth it has to be made in light of possible alternatives. Every career has its pros and cons, medicine's no different.

I was watching the late night show Jimmy Kimmel, and he was talking about how many calories are consumed during a Thanksgiving meal, and Kimmel was wondering about a metabolism question about how exactly those calories are turned into fat and what is the timeframe that the calories from the meal turn into fat on your body. He asked if there was a doctor in the audience and there was and he asked her but she said she didn't know. Then Kimmel said something like "we should know this, and you (in reference to the doctor) should definitely know this" with the crowd laughing. It was a funny moment but I thought it was interesting how society sort of expects doctors to know everything about everything.

I was watching the late night show Jimmy Kimmel, and he was talking about how many calories are consumed during a Thanksgiving meal, and Kimmel was wondering about a metabolism question about how exactly those calories are turned into fat and what is the timeframe that the calories from the meal turn into fat on your body. He asked if there was a doctor in the audience and there was and he asked her but she said she didn't know. Then Kimmel said something like "we should know this, and you (in reference to the doctor) should definitely know this" with the crowd laughing. It was a funny moment but I thought it was interesting how society sort of expects doctors to know everything about everything.

To be fair, a physician should know how excess carbs/fats/proteins are converted into fat and be able to explain it at a basic level. The timeframe question maybe not as it depends on a persons metabolism, how much fat they have on their body already etc. 

In my opinion of course. 

Archived