Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well it is one way to end your residency. Just not end it with you being able to practise medicine.

Residents can and do get fired in the US.

For sure - but looking at it from a legal perspective (armchair lawyer for a second) - terrible publicity for the hospital (and her career), but no charges pressed and not directly related to her practice of medicine (except in terms of a broader "professionalism")...  

The cases in the link below on the other hand, is much more legally and ethically troublesome... 

For sure - but looking at it from a legal perspective (armchair lawyer for a second) - terrible publicity for the hospital (and her career), but no charges pressed and not directly related to her practice of medicine (except in terms of a broader "professionalism")...  

The cases in the link below on the other hand, is much more legally and ethically troublesome... 

often there is exactly that professionalism clause added in - hospital is a business in the US often - you just hurt badly that business in terms of publicity. Not sure of course of the legality in this case but this sounds like the sort of thing you can get nailed for :) As a doctor you are expected to hold to a professional standard etc. Clearly they already think they have enough to suspend her and investigate - with the big question as to why she was acting that way

yeah as for the second case....grrrrrrrr

often there is exactly that professionalism clause added in - hospital is a business in the US often - you just hurt badly that business in terms of publicity. Not sure of course of the legality in this case but this sounds like the sort of thing you can get nailed for :) As a doctor you are expected to hold to a professional standard etc. Clearly they already think they have enough to suspend her and investigate - with the big question as to why she was acting that way

yeah as for the second case....grrrrrrrr

Makes sense - the senior supervisors (and hospital) must want as much distance as possible...  Wonder if the same thing would occur here - ie. can one be dismissed for professionalism or similar?  A bit of a grey area in any case...

Makes sense - the senior supervisors (and hospital) must want as much distance as possible...  Wonder if the same thing would occur here - ie. can one be dismissed for professionalism or similar?  A bit of a grey area in any case...

yeah a bit grey - we are highly unionized, and with fewer schools it is more standardized.

the point I guess is well as boring as it sounds if you are a doctor and thus a professional that comes with certain obligations of behaviour whether you like it or not. Small world, people know each other, and if you just go off and do something like this? Good luck getting a job, getting a fellowship, staying employed..........

Stuff like this gets students in trouble even in medical school.

yeah a bit grey - we are highly unionized, and with fewer schools it is more standardized.

the point I guess is well as boring as it sounds if you are a doctor and thus a professional that comes with certain obligations of behaviour whether you like it or not. Small world, people know each other, and if you just go off and do something like this? Good luck getting a job, getting a fellowship, staying employed..........

Stuff like this gets students in trouble even in medical school.

For sure - I'm not excusing her (at all) and I think her career is pretty much done.  However, there is just a danger of slippery-slope of malicious rumours, etc..  In this case the video pretty much summarizes the situation, but may not always be the case and people may have different "norms".

Sorry to hear about the rejection but congratulations on the interview invite for medbiophysics! :-)

Thanks!

I think there was a point over the summer when I realized I wanted to do research instead of medicine, but I decided to apply to med anyways because I had already signed up for the MCAT and talked to referees. I might make a post in the non-trad success stories thread in a few weeks explaining my "journey". 

How do you guys stay productive when you don't have any upcoming deadlines for things like school/exams/work, etc? I feel like I can't be productive until I have to be, which results in procrastination :\ 

Are you talking about school work that doesn't have hard-fast deadlines? Or like productivity in other parts of your life?

It would be cool to have a single thread with the pros/cons of each Cdn medical school (in terms of curriculum structure, facilities, student life, city life, weather, housing, residency stats, etc.) and personal experiences of students included as well, so it could be a major resource when it comes to getting a better sense of what each school is like ahead of interviews and especially for applicants who need to decide between multiple acceptances.

I'm been spamming F5 on results of the Iowa caucus, watching Clinton-Sanders go from 52.8 vs 46.7 to narrowing the gap to 50.0 vs 49.4, getting giddier every time the gap narrows by 0.5 %.

US politics is always interesting - I am constantly stunned how long their selection process is. Seems almost 2 years to elect for a 4 year position. How does anyone actually get any work down with that.

hmmm any direction in particular?

I was thinking something health-related, like Pharmacy or Dentistry. Seems like a logical next step to go. The anxiety I get from not having a career plan is eating me up  :o . Maybe schools could offer some sort of counselling to those who face school rejection... it would certainly help in my case.  :P

I was thinking something health-related, like Pharmacy or Dentistry. Seems like a logical next step to go. The anxiety I get from not having a career plan is eating me up  :o .

the one silver lining to going for medicine is even if you don't get it you probably have the ECs, grades, drive and study habits needed to master any of the fields as well.

Archived