Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

Just finished CASPer! Was oddly more fun and less stressful than I thought it would be. When I got to the finish screen I was so surprised at how quickly the time went by! I didn't even realize the last station was the last station haha. Felt decent about my answers but given my GPA/CARS I doubt that I'll be lucky enough to snag an interview this year. But alas time will tell

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished CASPer! Was oddly more fun and less stressful than I thought it would be. When I got to the finish screen I was so surprised at how quickly the time went by! I didn't even realize the last station was the last station haha. Felt decent about my answers but given my GPA/CARS I doubt that I'll be lucky enough to snag an interview this year. But alas time will tell

That's how MMIs feel too. Less stressful, more fun, and faster than anticipated. So remember that feeling for when you get an interview!

That's how MMIs feel too. Less stressful, more fun, and faster than anticipated. So remember that feeling for when you get an interview!

Yup. This. Well, for most.

I really enjoyed my MMI, but I know some of my groupmates didn't (we were in groups of, I believe, 12.) However, some people I spoke to who were sure they bombed it are now in my class, so self-assessment probably isn't a great metric. 

Yup. This. Well, for most.

I really enjoyed my MMI, but I know some of my groupmates didn't (we were in groups of, I believe, 12.) However, some people I spoke to who were sure they bombed it are now in my class, so self-assessment probably isn't a great metric. 

Yeah... I thought I did alright and look where I am now :).

I hope I get an interview again partially just so I can test my hypothesis about what I did wrong. (And also so I can actually get accepted this time!). With rising MCAT scores and GPAs I feel like it's even less likely this year though.

Yeah... I thought I did alright and look where I am now :).

I hope I get an interview again partially just so I can test my hypothesis about what I did wrong. (And also so I can actually get accepted this time!). With rising MCAT scores and GPAs I feel like it's even less likely this year though.

Best of luck to you! I'm in the same boat. Hopefully this is our year! ????

I was glass fusing all day yesterday, which along with glass bead making is TOTALLY FUN AND YOU SHOULD TRY IT - ahem, but the result of working with glass all day is you get approximately 8.6 million tiny little paper cuts and glass splinters right on the ends of your fingers. Today I am typing my thesis from the land of a million paper cuts and to top it all off I just got a paper cut from one of the cards I'm using to sort my dang research codes. Somehow this single paper cut from actual paper outraged me more than any of the other ones  :lol:

Though, as I often find myself saying... if this is your biggest problem, then life is probably going alright.  :)

In other news, glass bead making and glass fusing are well worth trying out if you have ever looked at them and felt so inclined. It's rare I find an activity that lets me zone out creatively for multiple hours at a time - glasswork is great for that. 

That sounded really fun until you got to the million paper cuts bit.

Some of my tutorials are in the ICU and I spend a fair bit of time in doctor's offices. Have you ever used alcohol based handrub on a paper cut? I have a feeling I'd want to cut off my hands every time I did hand hygiene, which is constantly. 

That sounded really fun until you got to the million paper cuts bit.

Some of my tutorials are in the ICU and I spend a fair bit of time in doctor's offices. Have you ever used alcohol based handrub on a paper cut? I have a feeling I'd want to cut off my hands every time I did hand hygiene, which is constantly. 

LOL, yep, hand sanitizer is a nightmare for me - I find it's not quite as bad when you expect it, but I was going into see a client once at the hospital, grabbed some sanitizer and started talking only to stop and go "GEE HOSEPHAT! Ow ow ow. Forgot about that paper cut. Sorry". Thankfully the client thought it was hilarious and it broke the ice rather than revealing that I am only cleverly masquerading as a responsible adult  :D 

Glass bead making has no paper cuts, so perhaps that's the better choice! hehe

LOL, yep, hand sanitizer is a nightmare for me - I find it's not quite as bad when you expect it, but I was going into see a client once at the hospital, grabbed some sanitizer and started talking only to stop and go "GEE HOSEPHAT! Ow ow ow. Forgot about that paper cut. Sorry". Thankfully the client thought it was hilarious and it broke the ice rather than revealing that I am only cleverly masquerading as a responsible adult :D

Glass bead making has no paper cuts, so perhaps that's the better choice! hehe

I am an absolute wimp with paper cuts. That sounds like something I'd do, though, forgetting about a paper cut before hand rubbing.

I've made an idiot of myself once already. I saw a patient who had contact precautions and so I had to gown. I, stupidly, didn't tie up my hair (shoulder length) that evening.

While I was trying to be all professional while taking the gown off... I found my hair had gotten twisted in the ties. Patient was chatting with me from inside the room and I was trying to very subtly untangle myself.

Glad we have a change.

what is more interesting is if the system will change with some form of proportional voting system.

We run into the same problem over and over. We elect some group with roughly 35% of the vote give or take completely run things. Does seem a bit silly.

what is more interesting is if the system will change with some form of proportional voting system.

We run into the same problem over and over. We elect some group with roughly 35% of the vote give or take completely run things. Does seem a bit silly.

ERMEHGERD Voting reform. I would be SO HAPPY if voting reform happened.

Our current first past the post system is indeed incredibly silly... but proportional representation also brings a host of problems. It almost always results in minority governments that are really unstable... so what you wind up with is a bunch of parties who run on platforms and then pander to each other once they get into office to avoid having the government fall. Basically you might vote for X party, but once they land in office they team up with Y larger party and take on Ys platforms... so like it or not you have wound up voting for Y instead of X. Also, proportional systems tend to not be sensitive to local issues and given Canada's enormous land mass and diversity that could produce some problems too.

First past the post voting is flawed for the obvious reason you listed above - representation becomes INCREDIBLY disproportionate in a hurry. It's also crazy vulnerable to gerrymandering.

For my money I like the single transferable vote. This would require us to re-draw election districts to be multi-seat constituencies, but basically when you go to vote you number the candidates from 1-X (X=however many candidates there are). To figure out how much of a % of the vote you need to win you divide 100 by the total number of seats. So 4 seats = you need 25% of the vote to win a seat. You total up the % each candidate received after people vote and any candidate with 25% or more gets the seat. Candidates with the lowest number of votes are eliminated and those votes get given to the voter's second choice. This repeats until you have filled all the seats. In cases where a candidate gets a huge number of votes, the "extra" votes (anything over 25% in this case) get given to the voter's second choice as well, so you could theoretically run multiple candidates from the same party in a riding without fear - this also means that you eliminate the issues of people going "Oh I'm voting for the party, not my representative" because you can have more than one representative for the party. This is obviously simplified, but it'll work as a general description.

Is it perfect? No, but it does do a lot to help reduce many of the issues with first past the post and proportional systems. It eliminates a lot of the issues with strategic voting (because you can still vote for your first choice and know that even if they aren't successful your votes will pass to your second choice). I'm not married to single transferable vote... it's just the most feasible and fair one I've heard about so far - if anyone has another system I'd love to hear about it :-D

I don't think straight FPTP or proportional is a good idea. I like the idea of mixed-member-proportional as a sort of half-step for Canada, though I think generally one has to move carefully when it comes to election reform because a lot of the population barely understands our fairly simple first past the post system as it is.

While I'm rather left of the Liberals, I'm still optimistic that the country will see some changes for the good. Though the frequent mention in international press of the new PM's appearance is a bit annoying. I don't like it when the focus is on women politicians' looks either. 

I don't think straight FPTP or proportional is a good idea. I like the idea of mixed-member-proportional as a sort of half-step for Canada, though I think generally one has to move carefully when it comes to election reform because a lot of the population barely understands our fairly simple first past the post system as it is.

While I'm rather left of the Liberals, I'm still optimistic that the country will see some changes for the good. Though the frequent mention in international press of the new PM's appearance is a bit annoying. I don't like it when the focus is on women politicians' looks either. 

there is certainly a bit more "style planning" this this new PM. Harper was like an old volvo - entirely dependable to do exactly what you would expect it to but be otherwise a rather dull thing at least publicly :)

I am not sure what the right answer is - I just don't think that if you get 10% of the popular vote you should end up with a single seat out of over 300 in the parliament either. We have to cautiously but progressively change things to be more fair.

I'm definitely more of an NDPer also but I'm still excited. And I think it'll be nice to have someone with a bit of personality in the PMs office for once (I think that was part of Mulcair's problem).

Some people think it shouldn't be a factor, but great leaders throughout history all had an ability to inspire people.

(Now someone will say something about how Hitler inspired people too. *rolls eyes*)

Archived