Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will, keep trying!!

What are stethoscope ceremonies though? :confused:

It's UofT's thing they do instead of a white coat ceremony.  They say its because "[There are] some of us [at UofT] who are uncomfortable with the white coat as a symbol of the profession. We fear that it emphasizes differences between the doctor and the patient. It can set doctors, and medical students, apart. It can be seen as elitist."

It's UofT's thing they do instead of a white coat ceremony. They say its because "[There are] some of us [at UofT] who are uncomfortable with the white coat as a symbol of the profession. We fear that it emphasizes differences between the doctor and the patient. It can set doctors, and medical students, apart. It can be seen as elitist."

We do it too. Not sure who started it.

After seeing all my friends post photos of their stethoscope ceremonies or white coat ceremonies, I've spent the past week wondering if I'll have the honour one day.

I know the feeling man. Sometimes I look and even wonder why I got left behind......... you just gotta keep doing your thing though and keep improving. If you are capable then it's a matter of time.

(>'')> <(''<)

Best wishes.

- G

Also, I am *never* bringing my kids again. It was unprofessional but I am thankful that my tutor was so welcoming.

I don't think it was unprofessional, and if it was, then the definition of professional should change.  I used to sit in my father's class when he lectured at the university and I've seen plenty of prof bring their kids in either to their office or with them to lecture

I started watching Doctor Who (the new one - I'll probably get to the old ones eventually.) This is not a good thing. Damn addictive. Pretty much a certified nerd in every way now though. 

Just submitted my UBC application :-D

I so hope you get an interview!

I started watching Doctor Who (the new one - I'll probably get to the old ones eventually.) This is not a good thing. Damn addictive. Pretty much a certified nerd in every way now though. 

I so hope you get an interview!

Haha, me too Birdy :D

I enjoyed your story of having to bring your kids to class the first day of school!! I've had to do that quite a few times with my daughter over the years :) I hope you're enjoying first year! You so deserve this ^_^ And it's good for your kids to see the hard work you've done

I'm strongly considering Epidemiology/Biostatistics. I'd like to reapply to med school after finishing an Epi program, but I'd have to skip next year's cycle. 

Haha that is the exact reason why I'm hesitant on doing a master's. Especially if my master's takes me 3 years to complete for whatever reason. I don't really want to miss out on applying for that long, especially if my MCAT will expire.

Haha that is the exact reason why I'm hesitant on doing a master's. Especially if my master's takes me 3 years to complete for whatever reason. I don't really want to miss out on applying for that long, especially if my MCAT will expire.

I'm having this dilemma as well! My alternative is getting an MPH in Community nutrition. I think my decision will be based on my upcoming MCAT scores.

I'm going to be 26 at the end of this cycle, and I don't want to be applying at 27 or 28 without having some idea of a back up plan. I guess the difficulty is skipping a cycle. I'm also concerned (probably not the best word choice) that if I find myself in a lucrative career in the next 2-3 years, I may find it too difficult to reapply. 

It is comforting that other people have similar concerns. I wasn't sure if I was being silly. 

Archived