Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know its probably silly to ask for medical advice here, but its a small question and I wanted to make sure before I ask my GP: 

I read an article about how people who have been told that they are allergic to penicillin may not actually be allergic, and that if you were actually allergic as a child, it could have disappeared. 

Is this a real thing? 

Apparently, when I was a baby I had to take penicillin for something and my skin all flaked off. I don't know exactly what my mom means by that, but the doctor assumed I was allergic and I never had penicillin for the rest of childhood. I got an allergy test done when I was about 12 because I get random rashes* now and then, and I was not allergic to penicillin. So there's some anecdotal evidence for you!

*Not to mention last year when I broke out in full body hives and could barely walk for a few days because it was so painful. Still not sure what caused it...

Apparently, when I was a baby I had to take penicillin for something and my skin all flaked off. I don't know exactly what my mom means by that, but the doctor assumed I was allergic and I never had penicillin for the rest of childhood. I got an allergy test done when I was about 12 because I get random rashes* now and then, and I was not allergic to penicillin. So there's some anecdotal evidence for you!

*Not to mention last year when I broke out in full body hives and could barely walk for a few days because it was so painful. Still not sure what caused it...

I hate those random allergic reactions. I am very prone to serious allergic reactions too and it's bloody annoying when they happen to something you can't identify.

Atopy runs in my family, though it seems my kids avoided it, fortunately.

I'm finding it difficult to understand the reverence people attach to med school. I understand it on a logical level, but not an emotional one.  I know it's to do with the fact that took only 8 months between wanting to do med, applying and getting accepted (to the only place I applied to) whereas most people have been trying for years if not the majority of their lives.  Med school feel just like more school... with a job "guarantee" at the end.  I'm afraid I come off as unappreciative of my position.  I also think that maybe med school shouldn't have to be beholden to such reverie, and then question if that kind of thinking is just a psychological defense mechanism in order to continue to act as if med school is not a big deal. 

It's a numbers game with so many excellent candidates routinely being rejected. Therefore, its a big deal for those who get in, be it on the first try or later. Then, life just continues with lots of hard work, increasingly so with increased responsibility once you get to be a resident. And of course, the general public look up to physicians, and to plumbers, lol, when needed. 

Starting to get really nervous about 1 of my referees. He said he said he would submit yesterday, but he has yet to do so. Really worried he's going to send it late. 

I hate this new timeline silliness - so annoying.

I hope he gets it in - we aren't even sure what happens if they don't.

I hate this new timeline silliness - so annoying.

I hope he gets it in - we aren't even sure what happens if they don't.

His secretary said she sent in the OMSAS letters this morning. Queens said the letters have to be in by Nov 1 (as per the OMSAS manual), and Western didn't say either way, but they will be post marked for today's date, so I THINK i'm okay. 

He's sending the other letter (email) tomorrow morning. 

tbh, the application was more stressful than the courses I needed to do well in prior to applying. Massive headache. 

His secretary said she sent in the OMSAS letters this morning. Queens said the letters have to be in by Nov 1 (as per the OMSAS manual), and Western didn't say either way, but they will be post marked for today's date, so I THINK i'm okay. 

tbh, the application was more stressful than the courses I needed to do well in prior to applying. Massive headache. 

Sounds like you're in the clear. 

I don't think I'll ever forget how stressful the applications process was. I really hope it is successful for you this year. 

Western doesn't care as far as I know - again there is a lot of dead time in this process. OMSAS won't have the stuff ready for almost 2 months after all. Most schools therefore don't really care.

Sounds like you're in the clear. 

I don't think I'll ever forget how stressful the applications process was. I really hope it is successful for you this year. 

Thanks!

Western doesn't care as far as I know - again there is a lot of dead time in this process. OMSAS won't have the stuff ready for almost 2 months after all. Most schools therefore don't really care.

I was talking to a friend last week who would be an excellent applicant. She has applied in the past, but didn't get in. She's been out of school for a couple of years, and said the only reason she didn't apply this year is because she couldn't get in touch with anyone for reference letters, and didn't want to ask her employer as she only recently started. Are these LORs of any real value when assessing an applicant? It seems a shame that people may be unable to apply because of them, especially when some schools explicitly don't consider them. 

I hear ya! Followed up with one of my referees multiple times. no reply. Sunday I sent another email offering to just write it for them lol and then last night they wrote back saying they'll take me up on my offer lol. Wrote it in a couple of hrs and scrambled to get it express mailed today. gah short-notice much?

Mean while I'm still working on my ABS

I hear ya! Followed up with one of my referees multiple times. no reply. Sunday I sent another email offering to just write it for them lol and then last night they wrote back saying they'll take me up on my offer lol. Wrote it in a couple of hrs and scrambled to get it express mailed today. gah short-notice much?

Mean while I'm still working on my ABS

One of my referees wanted me to write an LOR as a learning exercise and send it to him. He didn't use any of it, but assured me that it was valuable for my growth as an individual. 

-_-

Its so hard to write an LOR lol

Thanks!

I was talking to a friend last week who would be an excellent applicant. She has applied in the past, but didn't get in. She's been out of school for a couple of years, and said the only reason she didn't apply this year is because she couldn't get in touch with anyone for reference letters, and didn't want to ask her employer as she only recently started. Are these LORs of any real value when assessing an applicant? It seems a shame that people may be unable to apply because of them, especially when some schools explicitly don't consider them. 

they are used for red flags mostly as I understand it - they are very hard to interpret. I mean who would ask for an LOR from someone that wouldn't write them a good one. A sea of positive letters doesn't help much :)

One of my referees wanted me to write an LOR as a learning exercise and send it to him. He didn't use any of it, but assured me that it was valuable for my growth as an individual. 

-_-

Its so hard to write an LOR lol

HAHAHA he must not think you have enough to do withe the whole application process.

I found it very easy to write an outstanding LOR for myself. Not sure if that's normal.

HAHAHA he must not think you have enough to do withe the whole application process.

I found it very easy to write an outstanding LOR for myself. Not sure if that's normal.

I wanted to write a fair evaluation of the work I did with him and the characteristics I displayed. I also wasn't really sure how to format it. Oh well lol

Back home, a community just got new doctors and dentists so they hosted a community meet-and-greet to welcome them. This is not the first time this has happened on the Island. I think it's fantastic. 

Makes me so excited to get back home in a few years. 

It is very, very unlikely that we'll stay in Ontario longer than we have to. I may end up staying for residency if I match to a program in Ontario, but I won't stay for good, no.

Islanders never really *leave.* We might live away for a while, but the Island is always home. Rather like Newfoundlanders in that respect. 

Though I will say I've been fairly pleased with Hamilton so far. 

Archived