Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or pretty much forever......

actually you will need it for your license exam. You have to wear it for your part 2 exam :)

you may run into the odd doc that insists that you wear it at work as well. They are far and few between but do exist.

Oh and congrats :) ha!

Thanks! It was a lovely evening.

My family medicine experience supervisor wears her white coat, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm there, so I suppose I should ask ahead of my next placement with her. For some reason, this possibility had completely escaped me until now. 

Maybe it's because I'm not in yet but... I'd be wearing that coat around the house lol. 

Children, pets, and white things are a dangerous mix so I wear white at home as little as possible. 

Or pretty much forever......

actually you will need it for your license exam. You have to wear it for your part 2 exam :)

you may run into the odd doc that insists that you wear it at work as well. They are far and few between but do exist.

In my limited experience they tend to be neurologists. One asked me how patients would know who I am without the coat. Um, my ID badge, or I could introduce myself. It's not like most patients know what a short white coat means anyways.

In my limited experience they tend to be neurologists. One asked me how patients would know who I am without the coat. Um, my ID badge, or I could introduce myself. It's not like most patients know what a short white coat means anyways.

it is variable - I have run into gen surg, rad onc, radiologists (when in scrubs for procedure work), and emerg docs that all insist they are worn. No pattern really that I have found.

It is rare - I am just saying that if you are going on away elective for instance pack the darn thing because you never know. Not be surprised by it :)

Not sure what this burn out thing is, but if its real, I'm pretty sure i'm suffering from it. Productivity has been dropping over the past 4 months, I'd like to sleep all day and i feel like my ability to memorize facts disappeared. 

Any possibility of taking some time for yourself? Even just a day off to do absolutely nothing? Sounds like you probably need it. 

Thanks! It was a lovely evening.

My family medicine experience supervisor wears her white coat, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm there, so I suppose I should ask ahead of my next placement with her. For some reason, this possibility had completely escaped me until now. 

Children, pets, and white things are a dangerous mix so I wear white at home as little as possible. 

My family medicine preceptor asked me to bring it when i get it. I guess it really depends

Mac med's dean shared the fascinating story of why white coats are worn last night...

it wasn't quite for identification to patients!!

Mac med's dean shared the fascinating story of why white coats are worn last night...

it wasn't quite for identification to patients!!

oh do tell :)

I was told it was because there was a time when doctors were considered to very basically non scientific quacks. Adding the white coat was the reinforce the validity of the field.

Curious if that was actually the case.

Any possibility of taking some time for yourself? Even just a day off to do absolutely nothing? Sounds like you probably need it. 

I'm trying to take Saturday off from life. I'll still have to do stuff, but I'm planning to go downtown for an info session, and then watch a film in the evening. 

Of course, I'm contemplating spending the day studying because I want to get a good start for the next round of midterms in 3 weeks time. 

oh do tell :)

I was told it was because there was a time when doctors were considered to very basically non scientific quacks. Adding the white coat was the reinforce the validity of the field.

Curious if that was actually the case.

Birdy can correct me if I'm wrong, but what was said at the ceremony was that the white coat was actually designed to limit the spread of infection by easily revealing blood and contaminants on the white fabric. Early in the evolution of the hospital it was realized doctors were spreading infection to their patients; perinatal mortality rates were high, etc. White coat helped stop that by making it clear if the doctor was "dirty". 

Birdy can correct me if I'm wrong, but what was said at the ceremony was that the white coat was actually designed to limit the spread of infection by easily revealing blood and contaminants on the white fabric. Early in the evolution of the hospital it was realized doctors were spreading infection to their patients; perinatal mortality rates were high, etc. White coat helped stop that by making it clear if the doctor was "dirty".

Well, he told a rather... stylized version of the evolution of the white coat, so far as I can tell. It wasn't strictly Semmelweis's contributions regarding puerperal fever (and he was seen as a bit of a loon in his lifetime, actually) but more the general evolution of medicine as a primarily scientific field over the later part of the 19th century into the early twentieth that lead to the adoption of the white coat. A lot of this having to do with Lister's and Pasteur's work gaining wide acceptance, in particular, though I've also read that Flexner standardizing scientific medical education had an impact (though I question this since, as far as I can tell, the white coat caught on in Europe before North America) on physicians wanting to be seen as more scientific, hence adopting scientist clothing. It was a functional garment, not a symbolic one for sure, but yeah, the white has to do with it being obvious when it is soiled - that just didn't come directly from Semmelweis.

I've read lots of things about the evolution of the white coat, and to be honest I'm not even entirely sure what's more accurate, or if they all have some elements of truth, which seems the most likely prospect.

I think bogging yourself down with an expected format to your answers will likely slow you further.

My approach was pretty much "See prompt -> think about it for 5-10 seconds -> record thoughts." 

Remember, it's not the amount you type that matters. Get your points across succinctly and you'll be fine. Go with what you want to say, not with what you think they want to hear, or you'll spend so long worrying over whether what you typed is 'right' that you'll miss the entire point of the process which is to explore how you think. Not how you think they think. 

I think bogging yourself down with an expected format to your answers will likely slow you further.

My approach was pretty much "See prompt -> think about it for 5-10 seconds -> record thoughts." 

Remember, it's not the amount you type that matters. Get your points across succinctly and you'll be fine. Go with what you want to say, not with what you think they want to hear, or you'll spend so long worrying over whether what you typed is 'right' that you'll miss the entire point of the process which is to explore how you think. Not how you think they think. 

Thanks, that helped a lot! I think I just need to get some sleep. Didn't eat all day and been all over the place today. You're right that it has more to do with the underlying thought process and being reasonable. Thanks, again Birdy.

Thanks, that helped a lot! I think I just need to get some sleep. Didn't eat all day and been all over the place today. You're right that it has more to do with the underlying thought process and being reasonable. Thanks, again Birdy.

Get some rest, and good luck on it. I actually found it pretty enjoyable. But then I'm weird...

CASPer tomorrow WOOOOOOOOOH, 3rd times the charm baby!! Sorry guys, I'm a little eccentric, then again, I always am. Wonder if that's how you will find out who I am in person xD. Good luck to everyone who is writing tomorrow, get some sleep, be confident in yourselves, and do the best you can :). For those on the next date, you can do it too!

CASPer tomorrow WOOOOOOOOOH, 3rd times the charm baby!! Sorry guys, I'm a little eccentric, then again, I always am. Wonder if that's how you will find out who I am in person xD. Good luck to everyone who is writing tomorrow, get some sleep, be confident in yourselves, and do the best you can :). For those on the next date, you can do it too!

Ya'll have to write it anyway, so you may as well at least enjoy the experience. May all of your thoughts flow freely and coherently!  :-)

CASPer tomorrow WOOOOOOOOOH, 3rd times the charm baby!! Sorry guys, I'm a little eccentric, then again, I always am. Wonder if that's how you will find out who I am in person xD. Good luck to everyone who is writing tomorrow, get some sleep, be confident in yourselves, and do the best you can  :). For those on the next date, you can do it too!

Mac's a good place for the eccentric among us. 

Good luck on CASPer tomorrow. I'm super excited to see who gets an interview at Mac. It's a fantastic school.

we are all weird  :)

In the words of the Cheshire cat, "we're all mad here." Suppose it's true enough of medicine. 

Good luck!! ????

Archived